NYT article today about Mac Mini/Boxee/Hulu/iTunes as HTPC - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 12-10-2009, 10:03 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
analogue900's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 133
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
interesting article in today's New York Times:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/10/te...ref=technology

They use a Mac Mini, running Boxee - has anybody tried that??? I wonder what's the resolution of this....

Best
analogue900 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 6 Old 12-10-2009, 11:02 AM
AVS Special Member
 
nightowl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Sacramento, CA US
Posts: 1,199
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by analogue900 View Post

interesting article in today's New York Times:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/10/te...ref=technology

They use a Mac Mini, running Boxee - has anybody tried that??? I wonder what's the resolution of this....

Best

Lots of people use that setup, me included. For my own material that I've ripped, the resolution is very good, and no stuttering to speak of. Web content varies from below average to very decent in resolution, depending on the provider. Likewise for podcasts.
nightowl is offline  
post #3 of 6 Old 12-10-2009, 05:55 PM
Member
 
hstewart's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Chicago area
Posts: 160
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm using Plex, similar to Boxee but specifically made for Macs. Plex also stems from the XBMC project. It integrates more within itself than the NYT article author's setup: Plex handles movies, photos, iTunes, Pandora, Netflix, Hulu, LastFM, AppleMovieTrailers and many more (even ICanHasCheezburger), all in the same user interface. Pick up a Harmony remote--Plex has direct support for it and then you won't have to mess with a keyboard or mouse.

To make updates and changes to the Mac running Plex, I VNC into it from another Mac in the house (using ChickenOfTheVNC). That way, I don't have to turn on the TV and dig up a keyboard and mouse for "maintenance" jobs on the Plex Mac.

Plex is skinnable and there are active communities developing Plex, writing new plugins and improving several skins for it. And have I mentioned that it's all free (at least for now). Boxee eventually will "monetize" its project somehow.
-H.

About 3db down from normal....
hstewart is offline  
post #4 of 6 Old 12-11-2009, 10:57 AM
tji
AVS Special Member
 
tji's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Posts: 2,071
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by hstewart View Post

I'm using Plex, similar to Boxee but specifically made for Macs. Plex also stems from the XBMC project. It integrates more within itself than the NYT article author's setup: Plex handles movies, photos, iTunes, Pandora, Netflix, Hulu, LastFM, AppleMovieTrailers and many more (even ICanHasCheezburger), all in the same user interface. Pick up a Harmony remote--Plex has direct support for it and then you won't have to mess with a keyboard or mouse.

I tried using my harmony remote with boxee many months ago, and never got it working. Was your setup problematic? I'll have to give it another try.

Quote:
To make updates and changes to the Mac running Plex, I VNC into it from another Mac in the house (using ChickenOfTheVNC). That way, I don't have to turn on the TV and dig up a keyboard and mouse for "maintenance" jobs on the Plex Mac.

I do it similarly with my Mac Mini. But, I use the Apple "Screen Sharing.app" and find it to be much better/faster than Chicken of the VNC.
tji is offline  
post #5 of 6 Old 12-12-2009, 04:59 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Phantom Gremlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Tualatin Oregon
Posts: 1,407
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tji View Post

I use the Apple "Screen Sharing.app" and find it to be much better/faster than Chicken of the VNC.

Thanks for the tip. I will try it. I have been using CotVNC but am not 100% happy with screen refreshes.
Phantom Gremlin is offline  
post #6 of 6 Old 12-14-2009, 09:44 AM
Member
 
hstewart's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Chicago area
Posts: 160
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tji View Post

Was your setup problematic?

Not at all. Harmony is supported within Plex by an xml file, there are help pages within the Plex forum on setting up your Harmony, and there is a "plexapp" device profile in the Harmony web-based database. Easy-peasy. The Harmony even sleeps the Mac when it shuts off the A/V equipment.

One can customize the harmony.xml file even further to create even more control specific to your layout. There are discussions about this in the Plex forum.

I have wired my Plex Mac to both my home theater and my living room plasma screen by using splitter/amps for the out-going video and audio feeds and an IR repeater and a y-cable for the returning Harmony control signals. There is a separate Harmony remote in each room and they both control the same Mac running Plex. Naturally, with the Harmony, I obtain good WAF.

-H.

About 3db down from normal....
hstewart is offline  
Reply HTPC - Mac Chat

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off