Mac Mini Brightness Control For Calibration - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 03-11-2010, 08:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

I'm getting my TV calibrated and the Mac Mini is throwing off some crushing black levels so we are having problems getting it dialed in....

Here's the issue....

I have an Intel Core 2.0 GHZ running Snow Leopard with 4 GB RAM and am using a Panasonic 58V10 for the display (this is a strict HTMac). The problem is when try to calibrate my mac mini's brightness output to my display, it doesn't give me an option to change the brightness level (black level, NOT THE BACKLIGHT OBVIOUSLY). I went into the displays tab under system preferences and clicked on calibrate => expert => then followed the wizard, but there is no adjustment for brightness; no slider or anything else. I'm not sure if it's a manufacturer limitation on Panasonic's side or what? Any help would be phenomenal.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2010, 06:55 AM
AVS Special Member

You are talking about tweaking the Mac OS "Displays" properties, accessible from the System Preferences, right? Did you try adjusting the gamma? Gamma is related to brightness according to my eyes, although I'm not sure if they are technically the same thing.
Old 03-17-2010, 11:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdr25 View Post

You are talking about tweaking the Mac OS "Displays" properties, accessible from the System Preferences, right? Did you try adjusting the gamma? Gamma is related to brightness according to my eyes, although I'm not sure if they are technically the same thing.

Well I can get to the gamma control, but I have no adjustment for brightness before that. I can only change the brightness control on the TV, which seems to be severely limited by the Mac Mini, almost like a wall goes up. I have an ISF calibrator working on my TV and he says I need specific brightness control, then gamma. Otherwise, my black levels will still be crushed on any of the Mac Mini's output.

Any other suggestions?
Old 03-19-2010, 07:57 AM

My gut tells me, if your computer does not recognize your display you should choose generic RGB, and then make your adjustments on the TV. You just don't want the computer to unnecessarily compress the data. Problems with this approach have to do with the 0-255 levels in computer displays vs 16-235 levels of TVs. Hopefully your TV supports a PC mode which would expect 0-255 computer type levels.

Both of my Minis properly detect the displays they are connected to (a sony TV and panasonic projector). I've never noticed a black or white crush issue with my setups.

Hopefully an expert will see this thread and help us both out.
Old 03-23-2010, 03:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevegt87 View Post

My gut tells me, if your computer does not recognize your display you should choose generic RGB, and then make your adjustments on the TV. You just don't want the computer to unnecessarily compress the data. Problems with this approach have to do with the 0-255 levels in computer displays vs 16-235 levels of TVs. Hopefully your TV supports a PC mode which would expect 0-255 computer type levels.

Both of my Minis properly detect the displays they are connected to (a sony TV and panasonic projector). I've never noticed a black or white crush issue with my setups.

Hopefully an expert will see this thread and help us both out.

Thanks for the reply. On another forum, someone suggested using the program called "shades" to help and I think it will work as a bypass.

But I am definitely still open for suggestions
Old 03-23-2010, 09:18 PM

Download Black Light from http://michelf.com.nyud.net/projects/black-light/. Just set it to open on startup and tick the "HDTV Luminance Adjustment" checkbox - works like a charm!
Old 04-10-2010, 11:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickVik View Post

Download Black Light from http://michelf.com.nyud.net/projects/black-light/. Just set it to open on startup and tick the "HDTV Luminance Adjustment" checkbox - works like a charm!

OMG!!!!! THIS HAS BEEN PLAGUING ME FOR LIKE 3 MONTHS!!! Where do you live, I need to buy a case or 5 of your favorite beer. Literally, I have had a professional calibrator out 3 times and we have both researched the crap out of this to no avail. I really cannot tell your how thankful I am!!! Thank you sooooooooo much!!!!
Old 04-10-2010, 11:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickVik View Post

Do you know how to force it to always have the HDTV luminance adjustment ticked? I have it opening on startup and "at launch of BLack Light", When dock icon is clicked", and Continuously reapply effect" all checked, but I have to recheck the everytime. Not a big deal if I have to, but I was hoping there was some way.

thanks again