2010 Mac Mini + Samsung HDTV = problems - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 78 Old 08-02-2010, 08:57 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a Mac Mini server connected to a Pioneer VSX-23TXH and then connected to a Samsung UN55B8000 display. I've not see any kernel panics but have noticed that the HDMI device, as seen by the Mac Mini as an audio or video output device, does appear and disappear depending on if the receiver is tapping that input or not.

One thing I did when I first hooked everything up, which may help with your problem, is I turned off all of the vendor HDMI command and control add ons. Pioneer calls this KuroLink and Samsung calls it Anynet. Both are supposed to allow the HDMI devices to talk to each other and change settings.

I don't remember off the top of my head where in the TV menus to disable Anynet but I don't recall it being terribly hard to find. I'm curious if this could explain the different levels of satisfaction folks are having with the mini's HDMI output. If the driver chokes on the vendor C&C commands that could cause a kernel panic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 78 Old 08-04-2010, 09:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The Anynet stuff was among the first things that I turned off, based on the Apple support forum threads.

I might have found a culprit. For two days, the Mini hasn't kernel paniced when I turned on the Samsung HDTV. The difference: I have consciously made it a point to quit iTunes before I turn off the TV so it's not running at night or when I turn it back on in the morning. Previously, I would just leave iTunes running all the time since I'm usually listening to music or syncing my iPhone or iPad on a regular basis.

Given that I've had several theories and none of them have panned out yet, take this one for what it's worth. It makes some sense because iTunes is the only software on the Mac that I can think of that has content that would trigger the HDMI handshaking between the Samsung and Mac Mini.

Dennis

Dennis Whiteman
Check out
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #33 of 78 Old 08-08-2010, 09:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

It's been six days since my last kernel panic. I'm almost ready to declare victory based on making sure that iTunes is shut down before I turn off the monitor and/or turn it back on. I probably should do some more testing with switching inputs on the Samsung (instead of turning it off and on), but I pretty consistently got crashes most mornings if the Mini was booted up and awake when I turned the HDTV on. I had eight panics in the first week I owned the Mini probably all with iTunes running in the background, but I hadn't put the two things together until last week.

Dennis

Dennis Whiteman
Check out
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #34 of 78 Old 08-12-2010, 11:12 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I'm also having this kernel panic issue, and can confirm that it is accompanied by having iTunes open (and in my case serving music remotely) while someone else turns on the Samsung TV. I had a 2009 mini connected via miniDVI to HDMI that was 100% stable. I replaced it with this one because I wanted sound via HDMI and the better graphics card. Grrr. Thanks for posting this info. It has been driving me nuts. One more reason to hate iTunes I guess. I tend to use Play.app now for music, but I still use iTunes to serve music remotely and tend to lazily leave it open (and I tend to listen to music remotely when someone else is watching TV). The other problem is iTunes is usually how we have to watch rented movies; they don't seem to show up in Front Row.
post #35 of 78 Old 08-13-2010, 06:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I would think that they'll get this fixed eventually either through an iTunes update or a firmware update to the new Mac Mini. Whether they actually admit the problem is another story so we might have to wait for one of those updates and do our own testing to see if it's fixed.

iTunes wasn't designed to handle movies, books, apps and all the other things they have it doing now. It's time for them to release iTunes X, a rewrite from the ground up that only works on Leopard and above. It also makes some sense for them to roll Front Row into it, instead of having it be a separate application full of compromises.

The only other problem I have with this Mac Mini is with Firewire devices. I haven't really been able to identify what's causing the problem, but sometimes my Voyager Quad drive will lock up the Finder until I turn it off and back on. I use it for Time Machine and SuperDuper backups and then I have my EyeTV daisy chained out the back so I can record TV.

Dennis

Dennis Whiteman
Check out
post #36 of 78 Old 08-13-2010, 07:40 AM

Delightful. I've just ordered a firewire 400 external drive with an oxford chipset for allegedly improved music/movie serving. My el cheapo USB2 disk is perfectly fine. When will I learn.

I noticed on the Samsung TV that HDMI port #1 is designated for computers, and I was using Port #2. This may just be so that sound can be input separately via analogue in, but it might play better. I just tried it. We'll see.

The kernel panics are enough to make me return this thing and go back to the 2009 mini, which worked flawlessly (apart from me having to export audio through my DAC and amp, which annoyed me -- I have a dedicated two-channel audio setup that is separate from the TV).
post #37 of 78 Old 08-13-2010, 07:47 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

sometimes my Voyager Quad drive will lock up the Finder until I turn it off and back on. I use it for Time Machine and SuperDuper backups and then I have my EyeTV daisy chained out the back so I can record TV.

Some quality control issues, device ID conflicts and daisy-chain problems have been reported with those Voyager Q docks, Dennis, so if you have a bus-powered EyeTV tuner like the 500 after the Voyager Q, that might contribute to your lockup. Maybe yank the Voyager Q out of the daisychain temporarily, and see how well your firewire devices play together.

http://hivelogic.com/articles/newert...er-q-follow-up

Quote:

The kernel panics are enough to make me return this thing and go back to the 2009 mini

There haven't been any kernel panics reported with miniDP, which can also carry audio, plus you can always send audio over optical. You didn't mention whether you ALSO have the server model like Dennis...do you?
post #38 of 78 Old 08-13-2010, 07:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgscott View Post

I noticed on the Samsung TV that HDMI port #1 is designated for computers, and I was using Port #2.

I tried both HDMI #1 and HDMI #2 and neither made a difference. I thought that perhaps #2 would make a difference so far as the crashes because when switch inputs you go from TV tuner to HDMI #1 to HDMI #2. I thought perhaps the switch from the tuner to HDMI #1 was causing the problems, but that apparently wasn't case. My Macbook Pro is now connected to HDMI #1 and I haven't tried HDMI #3.

I'm looking into a Firewire 800 hub. One Firewire port isn't enough when you're mixing Firewire 400 and Firewire 800 devices.

Dennis

Dennis Whiteman
Check out
post #39 of 78 Old 08-13-2010, 07:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the tip on the Voyager Quad. This is actually a replacement for one that had the power switch problem. It worked flawlessly with my Macbook Pro once it was replaced for Time Machine and backups. But I think I'll contact OWC and see if they're aware of this problem.

As for the EyeTV 500, I had to find a power supply to get it to work with this setup, but it works so long as the Firewire chain is functional. I suppose I could replace it with a hybrid, but I'm more inclined to just set it up with my Macbook Pro and have it store the files on the Mini for editing and processing.

Dennis

Dennis Whiteman
Check out
post #40 of 78 Old 08-13-2010, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefklc View Post

There haven't been any kernel panics reported with miniDP, which can also carry audio, plus you can always send audio over optical. You didn't mention whether you ALSO have the server model like Dennis...do you?

I have the 2010 mini non-server version. (I think the hardware is the same, apart from the drives).

Briefly, I already use the optical out for separate audio, and an optical splitter destroys the signal.

Less briefly, I have optical toslink out to a Peachtree Nova DAC/preAmp/Amp for 2-channel stereo. The speakers are located far away from the TV. The HDMI goes directly from the mini into my TV (currently into HDMI port 1). I bought the 2010 mini primarily to be able to do this, as prior to this, with the 2009 mini, I used miniDVI to HDMI for video, and routed the audio through the Nova and then used analogue audio in to the TV. This worked, but was a bit clunky, and with little kids as the primary TV users, was something I wanted to bypass. (They had to turn on a $1200 DAC and push a sequence of buttons to watch the Flintstones with audio. Now they just turn it on and audio goes directly to the TV via HDMI, so this was a major improvement, apart from the kernel panics. The video is also significantly better than with the 2009 mini.)

Sorry, probably way more than you wanted to know.

I haven't looked into the miniDP, but thanks for the suggestion. It would be a pity not to be able to use the HDMI though, so I am hoping there will be a fix or workaround.
post #41 of 78 Old 08-15-2010, 12:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I'm not absolutely sure about this, but it seems like when I was on the phone with Apple support they had me test my setup with just the Mini DisplayPort to DVI adapter and I eventually was able to cause the Mac to panic. My DVI HDTV was one of the first to have HDCP built-in.

That, of course, was before I identified iTunes as the culprit and I haven't gone back and done extensive testing because Apple apparently doesn't care and I have a solution, even if it's a little imperfect.

Dennis

Dennis Whiteman
Check out
post #42 of 78 Old 08-17-2010, 07:16 PM

I just took delivery of my mini the other day, hooked it up to my samsung tv via HDMI, and am having these exact same problems. I thought that I was able to fix the problem by connecting to miniDV output, but after a few minutes normal operation, the system crashed again.

JP
post #43 of 78 Old 08-17-2010, 07:25 PM

and by the way, it has no relation to having iTunes open. The system crashes before I even have the chance to run any applications at all.
post #44 of 78 Old 08-18-2010, 04:00 AM
AVS Club Gold

You likely have something else going on--some folks have reported HDMI connection issues, no one has reported that the same issue also occurs over miniDP. Can you successfully connect to a different display and NOT crash? Is your "crash" a kernel panic? If so, that'll give you some clues as to the real cause. Did you add memory yourself?
post #45 of 78 Old 08-20-2010, 08:12 PM

Yeah, the 'crash' is a kernel panic. The only other display I have is a smaller samsung HDTV, with the same issue. Memory came factory installed.
post #46 of 78 Old 08-21-2010, 10:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

It pretty much sounds like the same issue I am having that started this thread. As noted, I now religiously remember to quit iTunes before switching inputs on the TV or turn off the TV so iTunes is not running the next time I turn it on. It's been nearly three weeks since I discovered the relationship between iTunes and the Mac Mini and I haven't had a kernel panic since I started following this procedure.

You can say that this isn't an Apple issue, but it's the Mini that has kernel panics, not the TV. I still think Apple will figure this out and fix it either through either a software update (iTunes or Snow Leopard) or a firmware update. I think it's unrealistic to expect people to buy an HDMI Detective for $100 to fix the issue. Most users wouldn't even know what that device is and probably don't hang out here much to find out.

Dennis

Dennis Whiteman
Check out
post #47 of 78 Old 08-22-2010, 04:30 PM

For the record, switching HDMI ports did not help.

This seems to be a fairly widespread problem. cf:

http://www.google.com/search?client=...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

This thread comes up as hit #2 in the above-linked google search (which was how I found my way here).

I agree, the "solution" involving buying a $100 item (although I am seriously considering it) is not really acceptable, and not connecting the mini to the TV is comical.

In my experience, Apple usually does the right thing. File a bug report, everyone who is having this issue. Give them as much info as possible and tell them you are happy to help text fixes.
post #48 of 78 Old 08-22-2010, 04:36 PM

post #49 of 78 Old 08-22-2010, 04:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Going into Service Mode can void the warranty on your TV. In my case, it didn't solve the problem. Many of the pages in the search results are about older Mac Mini models. The two most relevant results are second and third, but there are several similar threads at the Apple Discussion site on this issue.

Dennis

Dennis Whiteman
Check out
post #50 of 78 Old 08-22-2010, 08:08 PM

Oddly, I didn't have this problem at all with the 2009 mini, the only difference being the TV was attached via miniDVI/DVI/HDMI and audio went in analogue via my DAC from a toslink output.

I am beginning to think it isn't iTunes per se, but CoreAudio and/or Audio Midi switching the output settings...
post #51 of 78 Old 08-22-2010, 08:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I think more likely it has something to do with HDCP and how iTunes handles it. I actually run audio out via HDMI and via the optical output (just for EyeTV). All I know is that without iTunes running, my Mac Mini hasn't kernel paniced in almost three weeks; before that, it was several times per week up to eight the first week I had it.

Dennis

Dennis Whiteman
Check out
post #52 of 78 Old 08-23-2010, 10:26 AM

I have a different problem. I just picked up my new Mini (the client one, not server) on Saturday, upgrading from the previous gen (which I had NO issues with) to the new one.
Setup:
I have a Panasonic TH-50PX60U, and a Yamaha RX-V2065. The Mini is plugged into the Yamaha via HDMI and Yamaha to TV via HDMI.
Problem: Just to clarify I do NOT have a video problem. That part seems to be working fine, my problem is with audio. When ever I switch inputs on the receiver or turn the system off (not the Mini, that always stays on) the audio defaults back to the internal speaker in the Mini. I have to go into system settings and change it back to the HDMI audio out. This is super frustrating. I'm sorry if I posted this in the wrong area, but it's the only thread that looked like it might have an answer. Thanks!

post #53 of 78 Old 08-23-2010, 10:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I've seen that discussed on the Apple Discussion boards, but haven't seen a solution. My setup is always set to HDMI and I haven't had this problem.

Here's something that might make it less painful: if you have the little speaker menu in the menu bar, hold down the option key while selecting it and you can select the input/output from the menu without having to go into System Preferences. You can enable that menu in the Sound preferences.

Dennis

Dennis Whiteman
Check out
post #54 of 78 Old 08-23-2010, 01:50 PM

Welp..... I take back what I said. I hit the video handshake issue this morning. I turned just the TV off and then I'm (assuming) the mini only detected the Yamaha receiver and then when I turned the tv back on all I got was a black screen. The only remedy was the restart the mini. I think if enough of us complain Apple it going to have to take action.

post #55 of 78 Old 08-23-2010, 02:46 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
I think if enough of us complain Apple is going to have to take action.

Doubtful; you're going through an AVR first, as far as Apple is concerned you're creating your own problem.

If you were trying to connect directly to your display, now that's another issue and something I suspect Apple will eventually figure out and correct...as long as enough people like you who are not using Samsung HDTVs complained.

But, your problem is exactly what a device like the Gefen HDMI Detective is designed to solve...it fools the Mac into thinking its audio and video are still connected and "hot" even when you switch away to a different input. Going back a few years plenty of home theater-oriented Mac users around here have had to use Gefen DVI/HDMI Detectives to do what you're trying to do--you actually should be lucky you're able to make a great desktop display connection through that Yamaha at all because that means you (likely) can solve your problem without waiting for Apple to do something. So, either buy a Detective or demo different AVRs, others here have reported complete success sending HDMI from the new mini through their AVRs.
post #56 of 78 Old 08-25-2010, 12:30 AM

This is interesting.... so I found that Plex was set to "internal output" and once I figured this out and set it to HMDI no more audio problems. Turning the system on and off, it just works now. I'll update in a few days, but so far the setup is working perfectly. I'm a happy camper!

post #57 of 78 Old 08-27-2010, 06:13 AM

Hi all, I have posted this on the apple support forums as well in the Thread reffered to earlier by Ultimate..

I just got the new mini and started using the HDMI through the reciever, in my old setup I used the DVI to HDMI adapter into an input on the TV and a TOSLink to the Receiver.. Never had any problems switching between devices. Since I upgraded there have been a few issues.

MacMini HDMI -> Gefen HDMI Detective -> Yamaha Receiver -> JVC HDTV

First what was happening whevever I switched inputs on the reciever when I would go back to the mini the video would be fine but the audio output defualted back to the internal speaker. So To fix that I invested in one of the HDMI Detectives. Once that was set up, after switching devices the audio would stay fixed on the HDMI out but the video seems to be missing a color, it looks like if you removed the green cable from a component signal. If I refresh the display in the sys pref by choosing a different resolution like 1080i it fixes itself (I can go back to 1080p and it is fine to)

This seems to be a little different form some of the other problems here, but it seems the HDMI detective is not the magic bullet either.
post #58 of 78 Old 08-27-2010, 06:48 AM
AVS Club Gold

It can't ever be the magic bullet because there are still two variables out of its control: what your AVR does to the signal, whether is applies some degree of processing or scaling, and then how your HDTV receives and processes the signal. All the Gefen can really do is get your output to the AVR--fool your Mac into thinking its still connected to it--but after that you're at the mercies of the manufacturers of your other devices. You may find that there's something about your particular Yamaha or JVC that's causing your color sync loss. Wouldn't hurt for you to describe this behavior to Gefen tech support--that might be a known issue and they'd send you another unit to swap in--you might also want to connect to a different HDTV to see if you can replicate the issue?
post #59 of 78 Old 08-28-2010, 02:17 AM

I already have an email into gefen tech support asking about the colour problem. Havn't heard anything back from them yet though. I will post if anything useful come back from them.
post #60 of 78 Old 08-30-2010, 09:51 PM

Mine hasn't panicked in the last 3 weeks. There was an update to fix a video problem, so I wonder if that helped? In any case, I am cautiously optimistic...
Reply HTPC - Mac Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page