Mac Mini Music Server - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 10-03-2010, 02:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am trying to structure my system under the Savant Protege Macintosh home automation system. This system has an integrated mac mini capable of streaming 8 different songs to 8 different sources at the same time.

I want to do something like that with a mac mini or perhaps build a PC that would be capable of doing that.

I want to have all my music on 1 machine (preferably a mac mini) and be able to stream one song to one room and another song to a different room at the same time. Different input into a different zone.

Is this even possible?

Only thing I could think of is having several audio outputs with some type of programming on the mac itself that will make distribution possible, but the problem comes with controlling the whole unit via iphone apple remote.

Maybe there is a product like that available already that is an itunes dedicated server that plugs into a distribution power amplifier? If not, Savant is my only option.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 11-05-2010, 11:54 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Great one
I'm trying to figure out the same sort of thing

Anyone have any ideas?
post #3 of 9 Old 03-24-2011, 04:58 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Sonos? But I think Sonos can't handle the playlists.

-Trey
post #4 of 9 Old 03-25-2011, 01:26 PM

Why don't you just use AppleTVs. They can all sync to the iTunes on your computer and they can be controlled through the Remote iPhone app. At 99$ each, it is also way cheaper than the home automation system you were talking about.
post #5 of 9 Old 03-28-2011, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyb220 View Post

Why don't you just use AppleTVs. They can all sync to the iTunes on your computer and they can be controlled through the Remote iPhone app. At 99$ each, it is also way cheaper than the home automation system you were talking about.

+1 for the Apple TV2. Two considerations, though. First, it needs a TV in order to do the initial setup and to apply any updates to the device itself. Second is it utilizes HomeShare to distribute content from the central library (Mac Mini), which if I remember correctly limits to sharing with 5 devices (streams), which is less than the the original poster was looking for.

But if you can work within these constraints it is an excellent choice.
post #6 of 9 Old 04-06-2011, 10:02 AM

Any more news on simultaneous multi streaming from iTunes? I see the comments about aTV here, but I was only aware of being able to sync the same song across multiple aTV's...not play different songs to each simultaneously. This would certainly increase its worth if true.

Could their be a MAC program running with iTunes capable of this?
post #7 of 9 Old 04-06-2011, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by aggmiami View Post

Any more news on simultaneous multi streaming from iTunes? I see the comments about aTV here, but I was only aware of being able to sync the same song across multiple aTV's...not play different songs to each simultaneously. This would certainly increase its worth if true.

Could their be a MAC program running with iTunes capable of this?

If you use iTunes to do a Airplay, you can only send one song to one or more ATVs at a time. But individual ATVs can stream different songs from iTunes at the same time. You can use the remote app on the iOS device to connect to the ATV directly and then get the songs from an iTunes Library.
post #8 of 9 Old 04-06-2011, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bommai View Post

If you use iTunes to do a Airplay, you can only send one song to one or more ATVs at a time. But individual ATVs can stream different songs from iTunes at the same time. You can use the remote app on the iOS device to connect to the ATV directly and then get the songs from an iTunes Library.

So I suppose you could only do this by using a different iOS (or remote it comes with) for each aTV? When I have tried doing this in the past under the same iOS, it typically would log me out of the aTV I was previously in. This would halt the stream to the previous aTV and then the other aTV began playing. Maybe this happened simply b/c I was trying to play the same song...will have to test tonight.
post #9 of 9 Old 04-06-2011, 01:34 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Make sure you specify aTV1 or aTV2. With iTunes Home Sharing, multiple devices can pull independent streams from the same instance of iTunes, i.e. if you have two aTV2s with Home Sharing turned on, they can each be playing something different. There's no logging in or out.
Reply HTPC - Mac Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page