Mini-Displayport to HDMI Cable Woes... (2009 iMac) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 11-02-2010, 09:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all! Fairly new here and hoping there are some experts who might share their wisdom!

Anyway, I have a base model late 2009 iMac and have had less than great luck trying to connect it to my TV/home-theater using a Monoprice 15 foot MDP-to-HDMI cable.

Brief history:

-Owned a Vizio XVT473SV for ~2 weeks (before deciding it was going back to Walmart) and my iMac wouldn't even recognize being connected to that with this cable.

-Have an Onkyo HT-RC260 which the iMac will only recognize being plugged into via the "Aux" port on the front (and doesn't recognize being plugged in to any of the ports on the back), however the receiver doesn't get any video signal.

-Current TV is an LG 47LX6500 which the iMac has no problem recognizing and which will show video. However, the video quality seems to be lacking? (See below)

Now, as for the current issue:

I bought a 120+ Hz LCD because I absolutely love the anti-judder effects they give. Love, love, love that nice, smooth image! However, I've been cursing my TV as the anti-judder seemed so spotty. Some TV shows seemed better than others and almost all video from my iMac would have frequent hiccups in the smoothing. Tried for a long time to find the right settings on the TV to fix this but never could... Tried different video resolutions from my computer (720p, 1080p/30, 1080p/60, 1080i) with nothing seeming to help...

Then, last night, I decided to check out how video looks streamed by either the TV or the Blu-ray player from my network drive and it looks simply stunning! Completely smooth motion with absolutely no stutter! So, the TV is clearly capable of the amazing 2D picture I thought I saw at the store.

So, I'm guessing some video frames are being dropped somewhere along the line from computer to TV. Now, what the heck is the most likely problem??? (And/or: how do I test these things? [Preferably without buying extra, unnecessary cables...])
  • I've tried both VLC and Quicktime for playing video from my iMac. VLC worked decently most of the time in the past, but Quicktime seemed to be working a lot better than VLC last night...
  • Or, is it hardware and not software? Maybe the video output from my computer is spotty?
  • Or is it the MiniDisplayport-to-HDMI cable? Is the 15 foot cable too long? Should I try the 10 foot cable? Or is the 32AWG too small and I should just get a MiniDisplayport-to-HDMI adapter and a beefy 24AWG HDMI cable?

Thanks for any feedback/help!
Reply HTPC - Mac Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page