Can I use Macbook as browser for HDTV? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 02-06-2011, 10:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm planning to buy a HDTV in the next few weeks, one that will almost certainly have Internet connectivity an access to various websites (Netflix, Amazon, Youtube, etc.)

But because I live in Canada, much of that Internet content is not available.

I already use my Macbook with a dedicated paid proxy server in the U.S. to access programming not available in Canada, so I thought I might be able to connect whatever HDTV to the Macbook to do the same my Macbook connects wirelessly through a router but it would appear the TV is in the U.S. because of he proxy server. All I would need is a wired connection between the TV and the Macbook.

Has anyone tried this? Any thoughts on whether this might work? And might I be able to do something similar with my DVD player? I just ordered a new OPP BDP-95 which offers streaming but only in the U.S.

Thanks for any and all help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 02-06-2011, 11:57 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
It's easy to connect a Macbook to an HDTV. I've had one, with the lid closed, hooked up to an HDTV for many years. (My solution back when Apple treated the Mac mini like a red-headed stepchild, refusing to update its hardware in a timely manner.)

So go right ahead, I have zero experience with proxy server shenanigans, but whatever works on your Macbook now will also work when it's driving an external display.

If you don't have another Mac to control it from the couch, best to use an iPhone or iPad.
post #3 of 4 Old 02-06-2011, 12:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks chefklc. That's helpful to know. I'm not sure if I can use the proxy through an iphone or ipad but I know it works well on my Macbook.
post #4 of 4 Old 02-06-2011, 05:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I don't see why not. Basically, you just want to setup the HDTV as either a second or primary monitor. So it's really what outpout the mac has and what input's the TV has. It's what I do with my Mini connected to my HDTV. I use VPN services to get content I can't get within the US with no problems.
Reply HTPC - Mac Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page