Laptop screen wirelessly to TV - Can it be done? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 02-20-2011, 05:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just mounted a 46" Samsung (LN46A650) in the kitchen and totally love it! My wife now wants to display our MBPro screen onto the TV - wirelessly!

Can it be done? I know I can use a VGA or HDMI cable, but I'm looking to go wireless - this way we can play music, a video, or simply put a recipe on the big screen!

Any ideas on how I would do that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2011, 06:55 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Most of us would connect a Mac mini to that TV permanently--and then screen share in wirelessly from another Mac to control it or use an iOS device like an iPad as a remote control. If you can afford a 46" 1080p LCD for the kitchen, what's another $500 for a mini?

That said, a $99 Apple TV would be a nice, inexpensive option to get music, video and Netflix to the kitchen, it's not as comprehensive or capable as a Mac, it can't display websites or recipe files, yet, but it is less complex and much easier to operate and control.

It's tough to do what you're trying to do with just the one Mac in the house--there's no way to extend a desktop or add a second display to a laptop wirelessly--some device has to be connected to the TV (or built-in to the TV) that's networkable, smart and capable enough to receive information from your Mac. If you do just have the one Mac and the budget is tight, connect it to the HDTV and then control it with an iOS device, if you don't have an iPad yet an iPod touch or iPhone makes a very nice remote.

This is also why you're starting to see TV sets ship with internet capability and various media apps, like Netflix Instant Watch, built-in. Some sets manage to do this fairly well, we have an LG with Netflix built-in and it is quite nice, not as seamless as Netflix on the aTV2 but very close. Media sharing from other networked Macs and PCs, well, most Mac users would probably find the TV's ability to share media somewhat frustrating. Not sure how good your Samsung is at that.

I liked it better when TVs were dumb displays.
Old 02-22-2011, 07:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I stumbled upon this - what does everyone think:

http://www.amazon.com/Warpia-Wireles...8427093&sr=1-1
Old 03-02-2011, 12:32 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
According to the iPad 2 thread you're going to now be able to do this.
Old 03-02-2011, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipchecker View Post
I stumbled upon this - what does everyone think:
Seems to need a line of sight connection according to the product description provided by the manufacturer.

I mostly read negative reviews to see if there is a pattern when I review something, and a lot of people seem to complain that the unit stops working without a line of sight. Not sure if this is a potential problem for you, but it does seem to be an accurate complaint given the manufacturer's description and what people complain about...

Great minds talk about ideas, average minds talk about things, and small minds talk about people. -Unknown

Profanity is a simple mind trying to express itself. -Dad
Old 03-02-2011, 02:37 PM

Samsung Led Tv or Blu ray player with media player can do this wireless screen sharing if you have right software installed in your pc (not like PC share manager which is for media streaming).
I installed WIFI media connect from Philips. If it runs in background of your pc (system ray), Samsung media play can idendify and run this as a media server and project what ever you do on your PC screen.
Interestingly samsung did not provide any detail about this in their manual, only detail available is it can share the screen of your mobile.
Old 04-20-2011, 04:49 AM

I installed the philips wi-fi mediaconnect after I read the thread that it will project laptop screen. It is not doing anything, its kept searching for the TV. I know that the TV in same network, I can Ping the TV. At sathees_t how you made it work. Can you please let me know. I have spent hours to find an answer. please help
Thanks,
Old 04-20-2011, 05:48 AM
Advanced Member

A lot depends on the distance/environment but check out http://www.brite-view.com/air_hd.php.

I'm using one to send HDMI upstairs to a secondary TV. Not cheap, mind you but it does work flawlessly in my setup.
Old 04-20-2011, 07:50 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 17
You're sending HDMI from a Mac to that secondary TV? Which Mac and how well does it work? Does it ever lose sync going through the receiver to your primary TV?
Old 04-20-2011, 03:32 PM

Liked: 12
joining chefklc on the question of which mac

i have the hdmi-flavored mini and would like to know how well i could integrate brite view to move my mini/br player/fios elsewhere.

thanks for any infro.
Old 04-21-2011, 05:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefklc View Post

You're sending HDMI from a Mac to that secondary TV? Which Mac and how well does it work? Does it ever lose sync going through the receiver to your primary TV?

Used a previous gen Mac mini going dvi+spdif to monoprice converter (http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2) to AirHD via hdmi @ 1280x720p seemed to work fine for the time I tested it. I bought the AirHD to allow remote viewing of my Tivo HD which has been working flawlessly for almost a year. The Tivo puts out both hdmi and component at the same time so I haven't had any issues. I didn't attempt to set the system up to display from the mini on the remote and primary at the same time since I couldn't be upstairs and downstairs at the same time. I tried it with the mini and it worked but I wasn't splitting the hdmi output. If I was going to try for a full time share of the mini I'd get the Sync version for the AirHD which will support 1080p@60 (at least that's what it states). Of course the device is about half the price of a mini so that needs to be considered but if the AirHD doesn't work it can be returned. For me it was easier to have mini's at both places.