Using Mac as a DVR - but watching on a TV? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 03-07-2011, 10:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm looking for what I imagine would be a really common request, but have failed to find a good solution.

I'd like to replace my current dishNetwork/TIVO combination w/ a Mac-based DVR and an HD tuner. I've found good dual tuners and EyeTV seems to be great software for this. The ability to stream to my laptop when I'm traveling is nice. The problem is...I can't figure out how to get the programming FROM the mac TO a TV? I don't want to watch tv on my laptop, I want to watch it on my TV(s). Do I need a mini hooked up to each to drive the tvs? Isn't there something that will connect wirelessly to my home network that's got an HDMI output to drive the tvs?

AppleTV seems to almost do what I want...but I gather it only connects to iTunes, and that kind of ruins the EyeTV-as-DVR...no?

SageTV seems like they had a working system for this, but apparently they've dropped support for Macs as the server?

I feel like I'm missing something - but I don't see the solution I'm looking for.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 03-07-2011, 10:43 PM

Might want to give this a gander
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1281221

http://www.amimon.com/video-modules.shtml

Tommy: What's wrong with this one?
Turkish: Oh, nothing, Tommy. It's tiptop. It's just I'm not sure about the color.

DIY Professional Cables
post #3 of 8 Old 03-08-2011, 01:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I'm not familiar with EyeTV other than what it is. Basically, you're looking some kind of media extender for your TV recordings. No idea what format EyeTV records in, but if you find one that can play that format, then it's just telling that extender where to find the recordings. It may not have library "friendly" titles.

I do not know if they have solution that will or is working for you, but you may want to look at Plex. It may be able to function as a media server for your PVR recordings and then could stream to Plex friendly media extenders; I believe AppleTV is one.
post #4 of 8 Old 03-08-2011, 04:53 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
I'd like to replace my current dishNetwork/TIVO combination...I've found good dual tuners and EyeTV seems to be great software for this.
The most common dual tuner is the HD Homerun, and that won't work with Dish, only QAM and ATSC. Or are you planning to go with a different content provider? Or are you considering using a Hauppauge with EyeTV over component? Before you worry about how you're going to watch content on your TV you have to figure out what you want to record and if there's a feasible Mac solution.

EyeTV, the software, is fine, most of us here use it. It is "good" software, not "great." It could, and should, be a lot better but since it has no competition there's little incentive to improve it.

Quote:
I can't figure out how to get the programming FROM the mac TO a TV? I don't want to watch tv on my laptop, I want to watch it on my TV(s). Do I need a mini hooked up to each to drive the tvs? Isn't there something that will connect wirelessly to my home network that's got an HDMI output to drive the tvs?

I feel like I'm missing something
The only thing you're missing is that you need a device directly connected to the TV to receive and play back those recordings--it can be another Mac or an "extender" like lovekeiiy mentioned. Most of us who actually use EyeTV keep a Mac right there at our HDTV dedicated to home theater related tasks--wired to our home network--which can play back those EyeTV recordings from wherever they are actually recorded and stored. (I record with two tuners connected to a Macbook at one HDTV in our house and have two other tuners connected to a different Mac elsewhere in the house--and easily share their archives over the network.)

Obviously, a big advantage of using a Mac is that it can play those recordings back as is directly from within EyeTV or Plex or in any number of other ways, all easily controlled via iOS remote apps or your laptop.

Quote:
AppleTV seems to almost do what I want...but I gather it only connects to iTunes, and that kind of ruins the EyeTV-as-DVR...no?
EyeTV software has to be running on a Mac in order for whatever hardware you have to record. But that doesn't mean you can't use an aTV for playback.

The aTV2 is a very nice device, I love mine, it does a better job with Netflix streaming of HD titles than a Mac, and it does rely on iTunes Home Sharing, which means, as is, without hacking, it cannot play EyeTV recordings back unless they are transcoded first and then added to iTunes. Fortunately, you can tell EyeTV to do that conversion for you after you've recorded something and it'll even add it to iTunes for you. I don't do this much with TV content (I tend mainly to transcode blu-ray and dvds for the iPad and aTV2) but this is a viable option for you if you'd rather only spend an additional $100 for an aTV2 after purchasing your EyeTV setup.

If you do go the aTV2 route, look into the EyeTV HD tuner if you plan to stay with Dish.
post #5 of 8 Old 03-10-2011, 05:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefklc View Post

The only thing you're missing is that you need a device directly connected to the TV to receive and play back those recordings--it can be another Mac or an "extender" like lovekeiiy mentioned. Most of us who actually use EyeTV keep a Mac right there at our HDTV dedicated to home theater related tasks--wired to our home network--which can play back those EyeTV recordings from wherever they are actually recorded and stored. (I record with two tuners connected to a Macbook at one HDTV in our house and have two other tuners connected to a different Mac elsewhere in the house--and easily share their archives over the network.)

When I use my TiVos to record somewhere and play somewhere else, I can't initiate that until the recording has completed.

Does your Multi-Mac setup have that same limitation, or can you start playing locally while you are still recording the program on the remote Mac?
post #6 of 8 Old 03-11-2011, 02:48 PM

I own the Eye TV HD and have had mixed results with it. Try as I might I cannot get the IR blaster to work after several months trying. I frequently lose the images and have to fiddle wit the connections a lot. The sound is pretty difficult to get working but it's partly the fault of the Apple Mini I have.

When you go to their site for technical support you have to jump through all sorts of "procedural" hoops to register your question and wait for an acknowledgment and finally for an answer. Most of the problems I've followed up on don't resolve users' problems but simply refer them to their supposedly all encompassing knowledge base. The net effect is to discourage contacting them by setting up all sorts of steps to get help.

Another hurdle I encountered was recording off my cable box. The Scientific Atlanta boxes will output either component or HDMI but not both. My home theater system is HDMI. Fortunately I found an HDMI to RGB converter from Monoprice.com. You can only get stereo out of the Eye TV HD..so much for the Apple Mini's optical output.

Using the device is costly both in time spent getting something to work and for adapters. etc.

If any other company wanted to take over this market this would be a great opportunity. Just about anything else would be better.
post #7 of 8 Old 04-06-2011, 12:04 PM

You should take a look at the DisplayLink enabled adapters. They have USB to HDMI as well as WiFi to HDMI.
post #8 of 8 Old 04-06-2011, 12:15 PM

See http://www.displaylink.com/shop/index.php?product=6 for a list. I use their USB to HDMI and it works flawlessly.
Reply HTPC - Mac Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page