New Mac Mini Display Problems - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 03-20-2011, 03:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
OK, so I upgraded my home theater for the first time since 1999 with a Panasonic ae4000 and a New Mac Mini with OS 10.6.4. Installed Plex, loaded some movies and everything was working out fine. Not having a way to access the mini display port, I was reaching around the back of the mini and switching the cable going out to the projector with the DVI to hdmi adapter cable that was running to a cheap 20" Dell monitor when I was doing set up stuff and didn't want to run the projector. When my mini display port to DVI adapter arrived I hooked up Dell and the projector both wired and was done with the swapping. However this setup has caused me problems. Whenever I want to watch a movie and I'm in full screen mode, a significant part of the image is off the screen both on the Dell and also the projector. After much frustration I figured out that if I boot up Plex with the hdmi to the projector unplugged, everything displays properly. I can then plug in the projector and it's still fine. However rebooting Plex with both mini display port and hdmi cable plugged in and the problem is there again. I thought that the problem was with Plex initially but XBMC exhibits the same problem. In my OSX displays settings I have the ae4000 set to 1080p and the Dell to 1680x1050. Anyone have any idea why I can't have the projector and Dell both plugged in at the same time? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 03-20-2011, 07:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Just guessing, but you might want to check out the display preferences on your Mac Mini and make sure the right output is configured for the right monitor. I have issues like that frequently when setting up my Macbook Pro to do a presentation.
post #3 of 7 Old 03-21-2011, 07:47 PM - Thread Starter

Yup I checked that and all is correct. Surely it's possible to use both mini display port and hdmi out at the same time and have the correct resolution display in full screen mode yes?
post #4 of 7 Old 03-24-2011, 10:12 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm running one HDTV using a Mini Display Port to DVI adapter at 1368x768 and another using a straight HDMI cable from the Mini to a Samsung. When I first got my Mini, I had a lot of problems involving kernel panics with the HDMI display, but I've since had the motherboard replaced that problem has gone away.

So, yes, I'm using both video connections on the Mac Mini to drive two different displays at two different resolutions, both native to that display.

Dennis

Dennis Whiteman
Check out
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 7 Old 03-25-2011, 05:47 PM

I have a 2010 mini. I use an HDMI to DVI adapter to run a 20" Westinghouse computer monitor flat panel and also use a mini Display Port to VGA adapter to connect to a 42" Hitachi HDTV 1080p/120. I have not noticed any trouble although my set up is opposite the norm as I use the HDMI port for the computer display.

The reason for that is to split the analog out audio for both TV and external computer speakers. This allows only having to turn up or down the external speakers volume knob for use and avoids having to reset the sound output control panel.
post #6 of 7 Old 03-26-2011, 08:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardsonic View Post

Mac Mini with OS 10.6.4.

OS X is now up to 10.6.7. Probably wouldn't hurt to upgrade. But make sure you have a way to roll back if things are worse. E.g. SuperDuper free version. Not sure if Time Machine is adequate for system roll back.
post #7 of 7 Old 04-06-2011, 11:59 AM

Have you tried running in display mirror mode?
Reply HTPC - Mac Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page