AppleTV... Optical Audio Formats and Sample Rates - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 19 Old 04-15-2011, 12:33 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does anyone know which audio formats and Sample Rates are supported by the Apple TV Optical out?

44.1 Hz
40.0 Hz
88.2 Hz
96.0 Hz
176.4 Hz
192.0 kHz
16-bit or 24-bit?

Can it send out 2 channel audio in bit-perfect?

Above are example that my computer and receiver can support and receive.

Main reason I am asking is I really want to use AirPlay w/o my TV on, its going to be connected to some decent audio equiptment.

Got iSCSI?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 04-15-2011, 03:53 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
The only sample rate that the aTV2 outputs is 48kHz.

Quote:
Can it send out 2 channel audio in bit-perfect?
No. If you want bit-perfect 44.1/16 via AirPlay get an Airport Express instead. Whether you can actually tell the difference is up to you to determine.
post #3 of 19 Old 04-15-2011, 08:46 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

What about when connected via HDMI and playing stereo audio only?

Does it happen to support a higher sample rate?

Either way, is the audio quality GOOD from the AppleTV?

AppleTV looks great at the price point, I just want to make sure I know what i'm getting into. As long as I know its limmitations, I can work with it.

Got iSCSI?
post #4 of 19 Old 04-15-2011, 09:08 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 16
Quote:

What about when connected via HDMI and playing stereo audio only? Does it happen to support a higher sample rate?

The only sample rate that the aTV2 outputs is 48kHz.

Quote:

Either way, is the audio quality GOOD from the AppleTV?

I think so, but it doesn't matter what I think, spend the $85-99 to find out for yourself. Pick up a refurb Airport Express for $69 while you're at it and do a comparison in your space with your equipment.
post #5 of 19 Old 04-15-2011, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I feed ATV2 to a Meridian digital system for audio via optical out. These are Apple lossless music files from CD sources. Sounds very good. I can't hear any substantial difference from the CDs;

However, if you want the ultimate in audio, you'll want to stick with spinner high def sources. Virtually all CDs limit dynamic range (and freq range for that matter). In this regard, the quality you'll get from the file sources you likely will have will be best used via optical out IMO.

Unless you have a very high receiving system to reclock the jitter in HDMI, you'll get best audible performance from optical out.

One exception might be if you have some high rez audio files (available from some special sites) or other (I have some ripped from Blu-Ray for example) These need to be fed bit perfect though; like chef says, you'll want to use Airport Express for that.

But if your feeding lossless CD quality audio, I cannot hear the difference between ATV2 optical out and Airport Express optical out and original CD.

I've pretty much adopted ATV2 for all library audio - then have one spinner to play original audiophile level stuff (SACD, DVD-A, etc.)- Can't rip those too effectively anyway (especially SACD)

anyway - that's my 'opinion-of-the-facts' - your ears may vary...

ken
post #6 of 19 Old 04-15-2011, 01:25 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I just ordered the Apple TV2... Should be here after the weekend.

Pretty excited. The Airport Express looks pretty sweet too, I might end up getting one of those for a different room of the Airplay works out well.

Got iSCSI?
post #7 of 19 Old 04-17-2011, 09:02 AM
AVS Special Member

let us know what you find !
post #8 of 19 Old 04-17-2011, 09:03 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I'm still waiting for the AppleTV2 to be delivered, but I did pick up an Airport Express locally over the weekend.

Very very cool, and its extremely convenient. I have a feeling ill be keeping both the AppleTV2 and the Airport Express.

I haven't done any sample rate testing yet, but regardless of what I find, I don't think ill be returning either device. Its added a totally new layer of simplicity to playing my music.

I did some rips over the weekend but used the default settings in iTunes of 256kbps / 44.1khz.

Everything still sounds great, but not sure if I should re-do it in the lossless format.

Got iSCSI?
post #9 of 19 Old 04-18-2011, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthlude View Post

Everything still sounds great, but not sure if I should re-do it in the lossless format.

Given the low cost of storage these days (even in portable devices)- I would highly recommend rips of all music in Apple lossless - All the Apple devices support it's streaming and play; Downgrades are always possible- upgrades are not...

ken
post #10 of 19 Old 04-18-2011, 06:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenliles View Post

Given the low cost of storage these days (even in portable devices)- I would highly recommend rips of all music in Apple lossless - All the Apple devices support it's streaming and play; Downgrades are always possible- upgrades are not...

ken

Totally agree. I was told that even with Apple Lossless encodes, to verify there were not read errors from the CD.
post #11 of 19 Old 04-18-2011, 07:52 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Well I got both Apple TV2 and Airport Express up and running. Home shares with the iPhone Remote app and testing every possible scenario.

I'm not a huge Apple fan, but I must admit, the integration with all of the software and devices is excellent. Both ATV2 and Express are keepers. I only considered these devices as I already own an iPhone, but after buying this stuff it was still cheaper than going out and getting Sonos for a couple rooms in the house.

I doubt I will use the ATV2 for anything except streaming music, and watching content is my iTunes library. I feel HD rentals are overpriced and TV would just rack up a bill.

It works as anticipated; and I highly recommend it for others that are still considering it. Its got a glowing review from me.

To confirm the above thread topic & from my own testing:
Apple TV 2 Optical & HDMI output = 48 kHz.
Apple Airport Express = 44.1 kHz.
More options would be nice, but it still provides more than acceptable results.

Thanks for all the help.

Got iSCSI?
post #12 of 19 Old 04-19-2011, 12:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Well I got both Apple TV2 and Airport Express up and running. Home shares with the iPhone Remote app and testing every possible scenario.

I'm not a huge Apple fan, but I must admit, the integration with all of the software and devices is excellent. Both ATV2 and Express are keepers. I only considered these devices as I already own an iPhone, but after buying this stuff it was still cheaper than going out and getting Sonos for a couple rooms in the house.

I doubt I will use the ATV2 for anything except streaming music, and watching content is my iTunes library. I feel HD rentals are overpriced and TV would just rack up a bill.

It works as anticipated; and I highly recommend it for others that are still considering it. Its got a glowing review from me.

To confirm the above thread topic & from my own testing:
Apple TV 2 Optical & HDMI output = 48 kHz.
Apple Airport Express = 44.1 kHz.
More options would be nice, but it still provides more than acceptable results.

Thanks for all the help.
One more feature of the AppleTV2 is Netflix. My family uses this all the time.
post #13 of 19 Old 04-19-2011, 12:26 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bommai View Post
One more feature of the AppleTV2 is Netflix. My family uses this all the time.
Its great that it is included, but I already have a PS3 I use for this.

In fact netflix is built into 4 devices in my HT (including my TV). Its almost impossible to find something that doesn't have netflix.

I think ATV2 is excellent if you are a HEAVY iTunes user, but there are much better products out there for video streaming over a LAN. Dune HD would be a fine example as it supports SMB shares and isn't locked into something like iTunes. I like being able to stream ISO files over the network.

Got iSCSI?
post #14 of 19 Old 04-19-2011, 06:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I think ATV2 is excellent if you are a HEAVY iTunes user, but there are much better products out there for video streaming over a LAN. Dune HD would be a fine example as it supports SMB shares and isn't locked into something like iTunes. I like being able to stream ISO files over the network.

I would agree with that. Nothing wrong with the Apple video streaming, but other systems are generally more flexible and capable.

Other items you can play with are access to your Photos (iPhoto or Aperture), AirPlay is becoming proliferate and works well. And there is an Apple Remote app for touch controlling your iTunes library using your iDevice

glad you like the setup and thanks for posting your results

ken
post #15 of 19 Old 04-22-2011, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

by the way if any forum members here really want to go down the audiophile path with their mac minis; There are now paths for that. I haven't noticed many interested parties on this forum.. but if you really want to go down the extreme bit rate, low jitter, high end outputs (including even multi-channel 5.1 file formats) you can start with a program like PureMusic which supports all of that (max 384k bit rates for example); Supports hdmi output as well. and FLAC.. etc. etc.

Of course I'll reiterate advice from above- you will largely not hear a difference if your source is normal CD, especially if your processor doesn't properly handle up-sampling.

I have used very high bit rate DACs to digitize my vinyl for example to create some of these master files.

One advantage to PureMusic is it maintain iTunes in place and surrounds that chassis with it's own output engine (you can even resample on the fly if your equipment will natively receive without down-shifting). (It uses Channel D's Pure Vinyl engine)

I hesitate to get too far into this here as it's really not the proper forum. But just to inform those interested; There are mac (mini and otherwise) options now for extremely high audiophile file and output handling that previously was only available in windows.

http://www.channld.com/puremusic/index.html

ken
post #16 of 19 Old 04-20-2012, 07:36 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I select sleep mode for my Appletv2 and it does. Later on I look over and the light is on. I place it again in sleep mode, same thing happens. I doesn't seem to go on any specific time. Does anybody have the same problem? Or a solution. I doesn't matter but sounds crazy to have to always see a lite on it and know it should be in sleep mode.

Thanks
post #17 of 19 Old 04-20-2012, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillFree View Post

I select sleep mode for my Appletv2 and it does. Later on I look over and the light is on. I place it again in sleep mode, same thing happens. I doesn't seem to go on any specific time. Does anybody have the same problem? Or a solution. I doesn't matter but sounds crazy to have to always see a lite on it and know it should be in sleep mode.

Thanks

I see the same thing with mine, light on when I don't expect it be. I tried figuring it out for a while, but gave up. I don't consider it to be a problem, as it's not using much electricity.
post #18 of 19 Old 04-21-2012, 11:18 AM

I would like to know the best way to connect my AppleTV to my Dennon receiver then on to my TV. I believe I have ample HDMI ports.
post #19 of 19 Old 04-22-2012, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graysailor View Post

I would like to know the best way to connect my AppleTV to my Dennon receiver then on to my TV. I believe I have ample HDMI ports.

You answered your own question. Just use HDMI cables. You can get them pretty cheap from http://www.monoprice.com
Reply HTPC - Mac Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page