Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 49 Old 05-16-2011, 12:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
HD HomeRun at Elgato.
Can't tell if there are any non-cosmetic differences with the original HDHR.

Speaking of which -- I was blaming a full disk for horrible missing frame problems in the recordings, but maybe my old HDHR was at fault -- it recurred, and I caught it while it was happening -- the issue was the HDHR tuners reporting bad signal quality (while the EyeTV 500 off the same splitter was at 100%). Powercycling the HDHR fixed the problem. Anyone else experiencing this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 Old 05-16-2011, 04:37 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 17
So El Gato re-released a tuner & software package it sold in 2007 when Windows users can pre-order the HD Homerun Prime for $249, a tri-tuner CableCARD model which will be able to record everything.

Quote:

Can't tell if there are any non-cosmetic differences with the original HDHR

Ted, from picture on the El Gato website it looks like they will sell the HDHR3, it's the latest version of the dual tuner and been available since March, I think. It has a single input and then splits it internally, no idea if the tuner chips and demodulators perform any better than your original model, but it's probably a safe bet that they do--this is what, the third revision of the dual model? More than likely both have been upgraded and improved. So it may actually be worth re-purchasing, without the software of course, if you mainly record ATSC.
post #3 of 49 Old 05-16-2011, 07:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I have the original HDHomeRun (bought it from Elgato along with eyeTV software). I am also having the same problem occasionally. One tuner reports different strength than the other. I haven't had the problem recently, but this is weird. See the below screenshot.

I haven't had many problems recently - because I am not recording much - but it has happened before. I am wondering if it is overheating. Both signals are coming from the same splitter from the same antenna.
post #4 of 49 Old 05-16-2011, 08:01 PM
AVS Special Member

I looked at the elgato site for info on the new HDHR. It has only one coax input, yet they said you can get both cable and antenna at the same time (at least they implied). Do you use a combiner for this?
post #5 of 49 Old 05-16-2011, 08:04 PM
AVS Special Member

You can get it at Amazon (through third party) for $129. Windows 7 has free media center and program guide. Mac users pay $50 extra for eyeTV 3 (buying for $179 from elgato), and get to pay $20/year for TVGuide. I guess this is the price to pay to be a mac user. I still prefer macs though. I tried Windows 7 through boot camp on my iMac - when I upgraded my internal hard drive recently and reinstalled everything, I skipped bootcamp. Did not every use windows!
post #6 of 49 Old 05-17-2011, 04:45 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
It has only one coax input, yet they said you can get both cable and antenna at the same time (at least they implied). Do you use a combiner for this?

With the single input, that means you have to choose one or the other.
post #7 of 49 Old 05-17-2011, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefklc View Post

With the single input, that means you have to choose one or the other.

Hmm. Then they might want to rewrite some text in their website! Won't affect me because I am exclusively OTA. Don't see much point in using QAM even though I have brighthouse for internet and I have seen QAM work.
post #8 of 49 Old 05-18-2011, 10:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Rant time:

To be honest, I've given up on having my macs as real-life DVR's. Sure -- I still use my EyeTV 200 and my Miglia MiniHD on my Mac Pro for unencrypted SD programming and OTA HD, but I do it more as novelty at this point. The most telling fact for my home is that, for each of my rooms where I use macs as HTPC's, I still have a Series 3 Tivo for live TV -- it's just easier for the whole family. Apple just doesn't have the interest in ever really embracing the cable TV model, and I'm not going to let my general love for macs and OS X box me in.

I gave up and built a Windows HTPC once the Ceton InfiniTV 4-tuner cablecard PCI card came out (granted, I also wanted to be able to play lossless audio from my BR's and HDDVD's, as my Boxee Boxes are still way too buggy), and it's just so much more convenient to have live TV (with ALL of my channels), recorded TV, and my movie library all accessible through WMC. I have no doubt that Apple would be able to easily integrate the CC version of HDHR, but they just DGAF.

Rant off...
post #9 of 49 Old 05-29-2011, 11:56 AM
tji
AVS Special Member

The silicondust site is also pretty sparse with technical info.. They list the differences as: New look/smaller size, one antenna input for 2 tuners, and lower cost.

Is there any difference in the tuner used in these new HDHRs? It used to be that every generation of PC-Tuners that came out had a big leap in reception ability and were better able to lock signal in weak or difficult conditions (e.g. multipath). Does anyone know which tuner is used in the new HDHR?

I do like the smaller form factor and single antenna input on these. My two HDHRs require a 5 way splitter and lots of cables, which gets pretty messy.
post #10 of 49 Old 05-29-2011, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by tji View Post

The silicondust site is also pretty sparse with technical info.. They list the differences as: New look/smaller size, one antenna input for 2 tuners, and lower cost.

Is there any difference in the tuner used in these new HDHRs? It used to be that every generation of PC-Tuners that came out had a big leap in reception ability and were better able to lock signal in weak or difficult conditions (e.g. multipath). Does anyone know which tuner is used in the new HDHR?

I do like the smaller form factor and single antenna input on these. My two HDHRs require a 5 way splitter and lots of cables, which gets pretty messy.

Its got a newer tuner and demodulator I think fro their forums.
I like the ability of the older HDHR to use either tuner as ATSC OR QAM.
The new one both are tied together.

Personally I have the 6 tuner cablecard rackmount pre-ordered! Finally a decent looking case which isnt oddly shaped and can be stacked. I dont care for the styling of the chassis on the new generation non-cablecard units. (Didnt like the original either too much-but they work very good, are reliable/robust, flexible, and not too expensive)
post #11 of 49 Old 05-29-2011, 02:33 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

The silicondust site is also pretty sparse with technical info...They list the differences as: New look/smaller size, one antenna input for 2 tuners, and lower cost...Is there any difference in the tuner used in these new HDHRs?

Poke around in their support forums for threads like this:

http://www.silicondust.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9770

I haven't come across too much in terms of direct comparison, however.

Of greater interest, I found a post by a Mac user who has the new HD Homerun Prime model--the one with 3 tuners and Cablecard--and he says he can not only record clearQAM channels with it but also any encrypted channel that's flagged copy freely:

Quote:

The Prime with the Mac can support both clear QAM channels and programs that are encrypted and marked copy freely. What it cannot support are programs that are encrypted and marked anything not copy freely, generally copy once.

For the encrypted copy freely, the Prime will unencrypt them and provide a clear stream just like QAM.

On my cable provider (RCN in Boston) HBO, Showtime, Starz etc are marked copy once, broadcast networks (ABC, NBC, CBS, CW, FOX, etc) are clear QAM, and many are encrypted copy freely like USA, TBS, TNT, FX, ABCF, TRAV, SYFY, A&E, BRAVO, COMEDY CENTRAL, ESPN. So the Prime opens up a lot of content for me on the Mac.

http://www.silicondust.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9869

Now we're talking...
post #12 of 49 Old 05-31-2011, 10:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Of greater interest, I found a post by a Mac user who has the new HD Homerun Prime model--the one with 3 tuners and Cablecard--and he says he can not only record clearQAM channels with it but also any encrypted channel that's flagged copy freely:

http://www.silicondust.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9869

Now we're talking...

So the above works with EyeTV??

Does/doesn't the cable co. need to be involved for Cablecard equipped products? I remember hearing on The Talk Show podcast that people with CC equipped TiVOs needed to get the (often defective) cable card itself from the cable co.: after all, the CC is doing essentially what a cable box would do -- and that needs to be controlled by the cable co -- in terms of what you subscribe to?
post #13 of 49 Old 05-31-2011, 10:13 AM
AVS Club Gold

You know as much as I do, I haven't followed up anywhere else, and that poster didn't specifically mention EyeTV, but I suspect yes, that once the CableCARD decrypts those channels the Homerun device tuner sees them just like they were a clearQAM stream.

And right, you get an M-Card CableCARD from the cable company, pay the monthly rental fee and sometimes an additional HD/DVR fee, it goes in the device, and off you go. Just instead of in a Tivo it's in the Homerun.
post #14 of 49 Old 05-31-2011, 10:36 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
after all, the CC is doing essentially what a cable box would do -- and that needs to be controlled by the cable co -- in terms of what you subscribe to?

Right, it does exactly what a cable box would do--you'll only be able to see and record the channels that you subscribe to--and the pricing and tiers of service will vary based on where you live. With Comcast in my area you get your first STB/DVR/CableCard included in the charge for the digital tier, there's an additional charge if you need more devices/boxes/cards for secondary HDTVs, and we get quite a few HD channels, things like SciFi, USA, TNT, TBS, FX etc. In my case, I've already been recording them over the firewire out of my STB for years, but if this new Homerun Prime did actually work well for the OS X/EyeTV user, I would consider upgrading, getting a CableCARD and moving to this new tuner, mainly because 1) firewire is a hassle and 2) the Prime is a tri-tuner...at the moment I can only record one program over firewire at a time (based on my setup.)

The comment in that post I linked to that is important pertains to flags--they have to be set to "copy freely" for us to have any hope. Most of those channels like USA and TNT et all are supposed to be flagged copy freely, but sometimes cablecos screw up the flags, and set them copy once, treating them as if they were premium movie channels like HBO. I think they do that just to screw with tech-savvy customers. So, depending on your cable provider, the Prime may not work for you even though it might for someone a few towns away.
post #15 of 49 Old 06-03-2011, 06:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:

The comment in that post I linked to that is important pertains to flags--they have to be set to "copy freely" for us to have any hope. Most of those channels like USA and TNT et all are supposed to be flagged copy freely, but sometimes cablecos screw up the flags, and set them copy once, treating them as if they were premium movie channels like HBO. I think they do that just to screw with tech-savvy customers. So, depending on your cable provider, the Prime may not work for you even though it might for someone a few towns away.

Being able to copy files between TiVos is useful for a (relatively small) group of "tech-savvy customers". Sometimes it's easy, sometimes it's not.

Here is a thread from the TiVo Community forum that can give people a general idea of whether their particular cable system allows "copy freely".

Don't be put off by the TiVo aspect of that thread. The same restrictions apply to *any* CableCARD situation; it's not specific to TiVo.
post #16 of 49 Old 06-17-2011, 11:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

So good news -- my Docsis 3.0 works as advertised (I downloaded a few iTunes freebee HD-TV episodes about 4 minute to download an entire 1.45GB show -- that would of been 4 hours on my old DSL...) - bad news adding it to the cable has sent the HD HomeRun into an upper 70s signal quality funk. EyeTV 500 is still at 100% coming off of the same splitter, though the signal strength may have gone down (80% on the 500, 70s on the HDHR).

I wonder if the culprit is the extra splitter (the cable guy put in a 2 way splitter going to the modem/TV -- I then hung my 4 way splitter on the "TV" cable. I guess I could get rid of the cableCo splitter and run the modem off the 4 way. But may be it isn't the splitters at all, but it is the Docsis 3.0 signal piggybacking on the cable that is lowering signal strength/quality? Or maybe I just need a new HDHR?

Oddly I watched some of Jennifer Hudson's performance (funny from Apple fan viewpoint - huge Windows 7 banners on stage but constant shots of the Apple Store glass Cube as the stage was right in front of it…) on CBS this morning off the HDHR (and indeed over N Wifi to EyeTV running on my MacBookPro) and it was basically hitch free -- I had the info up and it was consistently showing 60 frames. Over 20 minutes there were a couple of barely detectable skips -- and who can prove they weren't WiFi related? I'm puzzled -- with signal quality that low I was expecting a horror show.
post #17 of 49 Old 06-18-2011, 10:18 AM

70% is usually enough for the HDHR to lock on channels. If the signal strength goes under 70% you might see some freeze or square artifact on the picture.
If you have these issues I would recommend using a distribution amp instead of a passive splitter as with a passive splitter , the 1st output is a -3.5 dB loss and the other 3 outputs will be a 7 dB loss.
Here is a good article about power loss with splitters :
http://www.swhowto.com/VideoLoss.htm

I hope this help.
Also, using WiFi (even 11n) will probably cause some glitch.

Rodolphe
post #18 of 49 Old 06-18-2011, 02:07 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

70% is usually enough for the HDHR to lock on channels.

Ted, I can verify my EyeTV 500s have worked just fine as low as 80%.

Quote:

I wonder if the culprit is the extra splitter (the cable guy put in a 2 way splitter going to the modem/TV -- I then hung my 4 way splitter on the "TV" cable. I guess I could get rid of the cableCo splitter and run the modem off the 4 way.

I've had DOCSIS 3.0 w/ Comcast for over a year, and I think your cable guy followed the recommended practice: the modem should be on its own line, then run that second line into a splitter.

Quote:

If you have these issues I would recommend using a distribution amp instead of a passive splitter...

rpineau is right on the money with this suggestion...consider swapping a 4 to 8 port powered amp/splitter in place of the splitter you currently have. The power boosts the signal so there is less loss after the split--ideally, the cable guy should ensure you're getting the strength you need after the split--but if your signal is clean, the powered amp might do the trick for you. (It also might not, because it boosts whatever noise is on the line as well.)

These seem very affordable:

http://www.amazon.com/Bi-Directional...8427332&sr=1-7

http://www.amazon.com/Bi-Directional.../ref=pd_cp_e_1

I have a 4 port PCT and am very happy with it, but I still keep my modem on a separate line (one line into the house, two way splitter, one to the modem, the other to the PCT.)
post #19 of 49 Old 06-18-2011, 06:10 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by bommai View Post

You can get it at Amazon (through third party) for $129. Windows 7 has free media center and program guide. Mac users pay $50 extra for eyeTV 3 (buying for $179 from elgato), and get to pay $20/year for TVGuide. I guess this is the price to pay to be a mac user. I still prefer macs though. I tried Windows 7 through boot camp on my iMac - when I upgraded my internal hard drive recently and reinstalled everything, I skipped bootcamp. Did not every use windows!

I'd gladly pay $20 a year for the real TVGuide EPG. That's what, a buck and a half a month? I use TVGOS on my Sony and Pal DVR. It just works, no scrapping, no PSIP, up to date, etc. Anybody know if you can get it through any of the other media center vendors? Elgato is the only one I've seen. Otherwise I'll have to hackintosh together something for Eyetv.
post #20 of 49 Old 06-19-2011, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ted, I can verify my EyeTV 500s have worked just fine as low as 80%.
I've had DOCSIS 3.0 w/ Comcast for over a year, and I think your cable guy followed the recommended practice: the modem should be on its own line, then run that second line into a splitter.

rpineau is right on the money with this suggestion...consider swapping a 4 to 8 port powered amp/splitter in place of the splitter you currently have. The power boosts the signal so there is less loss after the split--ideally, the cable guy should ensure you're getting the strength you need after the split--but if your signal is clean, the powered amp might do the trick for you. (It also might not, because it boosts whatever noise is on the line as well.)

http://www.amazon.com/Bi-Directional.../ref=pd_cp_e_1

I have a 4 port PCT and am very happy with it, but I still keep my modem on a separate line (one line into the house, two way splitter, one to the modem, the other to the PCT.)

Thanks as always. As I posted above my EyeTV 500 is working fine. So the remaining question is whether the HDHR is on its last legs and getting an amp won't help. The again, getting the Amp couldn't hurt so...
post #21 of 49 Old 06-19-2011, 02:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpineau View Post

70% is usually enough for the HDHR to lock on channels. If the signal strength goes under 70% you might see some freeze or square artifact on the picture.

The symptom I usually see is dropped frames rather than artifacting (though I have seen both together). Have definitely experienced the wrong channel being recorded, which means the right one couldn't lock?

But my main question is this -- what is the meaning of signal quality. That, more then the strength being low worries me with the HDHR. Quality has gone from 98%~ 100% on the HDHR to high 70s low 80s, while it remains at always 100% on the EyeTV 500. I was under the impression that anything below 100% was bad, bad news but now I'm thoroughly confused.
post #22 of 49 Old 06-19-2011, 07:58 PM

The quality is the overall corrections the tuner need to do using FEC.
If you quality went down then you'll have problems. This could be due to multi-path reflections, bad cable, bad connection, bad splitter (creating RF reflection in the cable), ...
If you have a splitter, make sure you put 75 ohms terminator on unused output (to prevent RF reflections). If it use to be 100% and is now 80% or less, something changed.. may be a cable went bad because it's bent, hard to say.

Rodolphe
post #23 of 49 Old 06-20-2011, 07:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpineau View Post

If you have a splitter, make sure you put 75 ohms terminator on unused output (to prevent RF reflections). If it use to be 100% and is now 80% or less, something changed.. may be a cable went bad because it's bent, hard to say.

Rodolphe

Hey thanks for the great tip! Ironically I hadn't hooked up the 4th port because I was worried it would reduce signal strength -- I did, and it went up by a couple of percent, and signal quality on the HDHR is now in the 90s! I still don't know why the EyeTV 500 is rock solid at 100% quality -- I guess it just has a better tuner that the HDHR...
post #24 of 49 Old 06-27-2011, 03:49 PM

Just completed my latest HTPC, about #10 I guess. Thought I might share some opinions and experiences.

First off this computer serves a lot of purposes as it is located on a boat : general use, runs marine navigation software, boat function monitoring and some gaming, mainly flight simulators and F1 racing syms and media functions. I see no reason why one computer can't fill several demanding roles and still be very quiet.

Case: Moneual 972 in silver.

Have used a couple of Antec Fusions previously and found them to be quite good overall but space limited. This time I wanted to use a full size ATX MB rather than an M-ATX. Pervious build was using Asus P8P67-M Pro which was very good, only lacking in expansion slots and crowded. The Monial case has a lot of room and I hoped it would fill the bill. The 7" LCD on the front looks cool and I thought it might be useful somehow, more on this later.

MB: Asus P8Z68 Deluxe
It has a ton of features.

CPU: Sandybridge 2600K CPU
Personal choice of available, 2500K might be about as good.

PS: Corsair 1200AX (modular)
Originally had HX750 but external controllers needed more 12V.
Never had a problem with a Corsair PS and it doesn't make a sound.

OD: Pioneer Blu-Ray 206MBK DVD
First BD I've had...works perfectly

Boot Drive: "OCZ Vertex 3" 2x120g Raid 0 (OS and App software)
Fast!!

Storage Drives: 2 Hitachi K73000 Raid 0 (Data storage)
These are 7200 rpm Drives.
OK so far, but little hesitant on 3TB drives as they are running about 55c with lots of air circulation.

There are 2 additional external eSata drives containing GPS and Navigation data and some external controllers and swithing gear.

/HeatSinkFan: Ended up using Noctua NH-C14
Wanted to use a Corsair water cooled unit but none of the 3 would really fit.
1st Noctua product and amazing quality. This thing is a work of art. It also fit even with those 2 huge fans. It is silent.

Video Cards: 2 MSI 560ti Frozen in SLI. (I can hear the groans) but It is totally silent and will do anything asked. First tried with MSI 460 GTS which was ok, but not up to the task. These things will fly and do not make any more noise, none actually unless the fans are above 90%, which they never reach. Video output is to 2 computer monitors and several Panasonic Commerical Plasma monitors all HDMI.

Case Fans: 2 70mm Enlobal magnetic bearing fans.....Silent !
2 90 mm Enlobal Silent
The case comes with 2 unknown 70mm rear fans that are, if not loud, certainly not quiet. The 70mm Enlobals fixed that.

This case has 4 90 mm fan mounts. One is taken by the sideways mounted PS and one is too close to the last PCIE Slot if it is used and almost too crowded anyway because of USB, Audio, and various other cables including 2 that must be routed out the back of the case. You could use it but it would be covered with wires.

TV Tuners: 3 internal PCIe Dual ATSC Avermedia (6 Tuners)
2 external HDHR Duals for a total of 10 ATSC turners
1 Avermedia PCI NTSC single tuner
1 satellite receiver for FTA and Sat weather
Would like it to control Dishnetwork reception and playback but not really practical at this time.

It was necessary for me to fabricate a different HD mount due to the location of the 2 that came with the case and were to mount on the case floor. I just used a dual HD mount from another case and mounted it atop the DVD Drive. There are a pair of SSD mounted on top of that. Cable management is a real pain with so many components and I am still working on it.

The pictures were taken with an early single video card setup and a couple of different items that ended up being changed and alot of stuff not installed. I dropped my camera.

One problem: the CPU cooler is pretty close to the top of the case. It is directly under the vents on the case top but is a lot larger than the vent. This is not a problem for cooling as the idle temp is in the low 30~35c range. Load temps are only 40~50c max on prime 95. This is with a CPU clock of 4.8GHZ. (This cpu will actually reach 5.0 ghz stable but I have backed it down a bit.)
The problem is fan noise due to turbulence caused by the upper CPU fan only being about3/4" from the top of the case. It you remove the lid or just prop it up a additional inch you cannot hear the fan. It is virtually silent. Adjusting the fan speed does not change the sound as it is strickly related to proximity to the case. It is not loud but you can hear it. I may try to enlarge or change the shape of the cooling vent but am not sure I want to get into that due to looks. I may cut a very large area of the top and cover it with black screen if I can do it neatly enough. I may be able to use a digitally controlled plasma cutter at a friends shop, if I can learn to use it !

Anyway there it is. I am pleased with it's performance. It is actually hardly audiable but I am fanatical in that respect.

The Front LCD and Monial, and Soundgraph: (maker of the LCD and software)

Soundgraph: The nicest thing I can say about them would be....not much.
The software for the LCD is about AWFUL. Trying is figure out how to install and use it....worse. The latest instructions were written in 2008 and really don't even cover the present version of software. There is really no way to determine which version to use how to install it or use the stuff. Take a look at their website and see the tons of software versions. I understand several of their forum users have committed suicide. Read some of their product literature....what language is that? Say what?
It is working, sorta of, and does look nice, I guess, but it is just too much trouble. I have spent ages to get it to this point and it just isn't that useful. If I could get it to display a radar image it might be worth it.

Monial: Uh, are they almost not there. I don't think they have any US presence, direct from Korea. Communication is more than difficult, What there is of it. Nice case construction and very hansome.

It is not in the boat yet but everything seems to be working. I will never build something this complicated again. There is about 1/2 a TB of software and getting it all to work together is a royal pain. Media center with a lot of add-on is pretty neat and works well. The latest version of "Tuner Salad" will let you install 12 tuners. To record and play back multiple streams really does require a lot of horse power. If you haven't ever tries HDMI splitters don't, if you don't have too. Ah, go ahead and build one. The challange will do you good.
LL
LL
post #25 of 49 Old 06-27-2011, 03:51 PM

Just completed my latest HTPC, about #10 I guess. Thought I might share some opinions and experiences.

First off this computer serves a lot of purposes as it is located on a boat : general use, runs marine navigation software, boat function monitoring and some gaming, mainly flight simulators and F1 racing syms and media functions. I see no reason why one computer can't fill several demanding roles and still be very quiet.

Case: Moneual 972 in silver.

Have used a couple of Antec Fusions previously and found them to be quite good overall but space limited. This time I wanted to use a full size ATX MB rather than an M-ATX. Pervious build was using Asus P8P67-M Pro which was very good, only lacking in expansion slots and crowded. The Monial case has a lot of room and I hoped it would fill the bill. The 7" LCD on the front looks cool and I thought it might be useful somehow, more on this later.

MB: Asus P8Z68 Deluxe
It has a ton of features.

CPU: Sandybridge 2600K CPU
Personal choice of available, 2500K might be about as good.

PS: Corsair 1200AX (modular)
Originally had HX750 but external controllers needed more 12V.
Never had a problem with a Corsair PS and it doesn't make a sound.

OD: Pioneer Blu-Ray 206MBK DVD
First BD I've had...works perfectly

Boot Drive: "OCZ Vertex 3" 2x120g Raid 0 (OS and App software)
Fast!!

Storage Drives: 2 Hitachi K73000 Raid 0 (Data storage)
These are 7200 rpm Drives.
OK so far, but little hesitant on 3TB drives as they are running about 55c with lots of air circulation.

There are 2 additional external eSata drives containing GPS and Navigation data and some external controllers and swithing gear.

/HeatSinkFan: Ended up using Noctua NH-C14
Wanted to use a Corsair water cooled unit but none of the 3 would really fit.
1st Noctua product and amazing quality. This thing is a work of art. It also fit even with those 2 huge fans. It is silent.

Video Cards: 2 MSI 560ti Frozen in SLI. (I can hear the groans) but It is totally silent and will do anything asked. First tried with MSI 460 GTS which was ok, but not up to the task. These things will fly and do not make any more noise, none actually unless the fans are above 90%, which they never reach. Video output is to 2 computer monitors and several Panasonic Commerical Plasma monitors all HDMI.

Case Fans: 2 70mm Enlobal magnetic bearing fans.....Silent !
2 90 mm Enlobal Silent
The case comes with 2 unknown 70mm rear fans that are, if not loud, certainly not quiet. The 70mm Enlobals fixed that.

This case has 4 90 mm fan mounts. One is taken by the sideways mounted PS and one is too close to the last PCIE Slot if it is used and almost too crowded anyway because of USB, Audio, and various other cables including 2 that must be routed out the back of the case. You could use it but it would be covered with wires.

TV Tuners: 3 internal PCIe Dual ATSC Avermedia (6 Tuners)
2 external HDHR Duals for a total of 10 ATSC turners
1 Avermedia PCI NTSC single tuner
1 satellite receiver for FTA and Sat weather
Would like it to control Dishnetwork reception and playback but not really practical at this time.

It was necessary for me to fabricate a different HD mount due to the location of the 2 that came with the case and were to mount on the case floor. I just used a dual HD mount from another case and mounted it atop the DVD Drive. There are a pair of SSD mounted on top of that. Cable management is a real pain with so many components and I am still working on it.

The pictures were taken with an early single video card setup and a couple of different items that ended up being changed and alot of stuff not installed. I dropped my camera.

One problem: the CPU cooler is pretty close to the top of the case. It is directly under the vents on the case top but is a lot larger than the vent. This is not a problem for cooling as the idle temp is in the low 30~35c range. Load temps are only 40~50c max on prime 95. This is with a CPU clock of 4.8GHZ. (This cpu will actually reach 5.0 ghz stable but I have backed it down a bit.)
The problem is fan noise due to turbulence caused by the upper CPU fan only being about3/4" from the top of the case. It you remove the lid or just prop it up a additional inch you cannot hear the fan. It is virtually silent. Adjusting the fan speed does not change the sound as it is strickly related to proximity to the case. It is not loud but you can hear it. I may try to enlarge or change the shape of the cooling vent but am not sure I want to get into that due to looks. I may cut a very large area of the top and cover it with black screen if I can do it neatly enough. I may be able to use a digitally controlled plasma cutter at a friends shop, if I can learn to use it !

Anyway there it is. I am pleased with it's performance. It is actually hardly audiable but I am fanatical in that respect.

The Front LCD and Monial, and Soundgraph: (maker of the LCD and software)

Soundgraph: The nicest thing I can say about them would be....not much.
The software for the LCD is about AWFUL. Trying is figure out how to install and use it....worse. The latest instructions were written in 2008 and really don't even cover the present version of software. There is really no way to determine which version to use how to install it or use the stuff. Take a look at their website and see the tons of software versions. I understand several of their forum users have committed suicide. Read some of their product literature....what language is that? Say what?
It is working, sorta of, and does look nice, I guess, but it is just too much trouble. I have spent ages to get it to this point and it just isn't that useful. If I could get it to display a radar image it might be worth it.

Monial: Uh, are they almost not there. I don't think they have any US presence, direct from Korea. Communication is more than difficult, What there is of it. Nice case construction and very hansome.

It is not in the boat yet but everything seems to be working. I will never build something this complicated again. There is about 1/2 a TB of software and getting it all to work together is a royal pain. Media center with a lot of add-on is pretty neat and works well. The latest version of "Tuner Salad" will let you install 12 tuners. To record and play back multiple streams really does require a lot of horse power. If you haven't ever tried HDMI splitters don't, if you don't have too. Ah, go ahead and build one. The challange will do you good.
post #26 of 49 Old 07-03-2011, 09:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Got that one, haven't installed it yet -- in the mind numbingly geeky design category: to attach the power supply to the powered splitter you need a coax cable -- not included. El Jobso would fire the person who designed this before they ever got near the elevator
post #27 of 49 Old 07-26-2011, 11:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

So I got a 6% signal power boost out of the powered splitter -- time will tell if that's enough, but "signal quality" is up in the high 90s on both HDHR tuners, so hopefully that will be good enough (EyeTV 500 steady at 100% SQ, as ever).

I also updated the HDHR firmware via the EyeTV software.
post #28 of 49 Old 07-31-2011, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewOrlnsDukie View Post
Rant time:

To be honest, I've given up on having my macs as real-life DVR's. Sure -- I still use my EyeTV 200 and my Miglia MiniHD on my Mac Pro for unencrypted SD programming and OTA HD, but I do it more as novelty at this point. The most telling fact for my home is that, for each of my rooms where I use macs as HTPC's, I still have a Series 3 Tivo for live TV -- it's just easier for the whole family. Apple just doesn't have the interest in ever really embracing the cable TV model, and I'm not going to let my general love for macs and OS X box me in.

I gave up and built a Windows HTPC once the Ceton InfiniTV 4-tuner cablecard PCI card came out (granted, I also wanted to be able to play lossless audio from my BR's and HDDVD's, as my Boxee Boxes are still way too buggy), and it's just so much more convenient to have live TV (with ALL of my channels), recorded TV, and my movie library all accessible through WMC. I have no doubt that Apple would be able to easily integrate the CC version of HDHR, but they just DGAF.

Rant off...
It's a tough situation. I use a Windows HTPC personally, running on a Mac Mini of all things.

But I use Mac for my personal computing and sometimes dealing with Windows is a real pain. I am spoiled by things running smooth and problem free, and then I have to use WMC. WMC from an interface/user responsiveness perspective is very close to a joke. It always lags, it seems to require ages to refresh its library. It has bugs such as somehow not finding the recorded tv file every now and then. Sometimes it just plain freezes. It's just a clunky, unreliable system. You always need a keyboard as back up in case you need to ctrl+alt+delete. You can't just have a media center remote and have it really respond in a decent manner. I tend to have to pull out my DiNovo mini and use the mouse.

Suffice it to say it is quite a suboptimal solution. In addition to this situation MS has pretty much backed away from promoting Windows as a home entertainment product. They have ruined WHS with Vail, and they don't intend on supporting WMC any longer. I believe they want the XBox to play the role of home entertainment device and that they want to get into putting WMC into devices but not supporting for Windows any more. So I'm not really going to invest too much more time or effort into HTPC unless we see some real solutions. Apparently there is a successor to Cable Card in the works and by the time that gets settled, I suspect we'll all just be using boxes.

As for Apple, even though their OS lacks a lot of functionality I am thankful that their philosophy seems to revolve around not releasing products until they are truly ready. So if they can't make a reliable, sensible HTPC program then they just won't offer the functionality. They won't "half-ass" it, so to speak, in typical MS fashion.
post #29 of 49 Old 07-31-2011, 10:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sxr71 View Post
In addition to this situation MS has pretty much backed away from promoting Windows as a home entertainment product. They have ruined WHS with Vail, and they don't intend on supporting WMC any longer.
That does seem to be the case, based on, e.g. the paucity of extenders for WMC.

Quote:
As for Apple, even though their OS lacks a lot of functionality I am thankful that their philosophy seems to revolve around not releasing products until they are truly ready. So if they can't make a reliable, sensible HTPC program then they just won't offer the functionality. They won't "half-ass" it, so to speak, in typical MS fashion.
Tell that to the people who recently purchased Final Cut Pro X. To many pros, "half-assed" would be a very charitable description of the functionality of that product.

I have many Apple products in the house; my last Windows PC was purchased over a decade ago. But I try not to be a fan-boy about it. Apple does occasionally screw up.
post #30 of 49 Old 08-19-2011, 01:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Elgato announces iPad app for the HD HomeRun Prime -- but no Mac support. That's just bizarre -- if they can stream from a HDHR Prime to an iPad, surely they can do it to EyeTV software on a Mac? Or is it strictly a political thing of not wanting to cross the CableCard people?

Or does EyeTV work with "Copy Freely" stuff on the HDHR Prime just fine, but this is on of those "unsupported" features like multiple tuners with EyeTV?
Reply HTPC - Mac Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page