eyetv HD sound issues - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 10-17-2011, 07:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys,
I just bought the eyetv HD and connected it to a Comcast cable box. Changes channels fine, but I have times when the sound just stops for 5-20 minutes and then starts playing fine. Or after it has be compressed to play on IPAD the sound is completely out of sync. I have the newest version of eyetv and have been very disappointed with the outcome of this box. Any help you can give a noob is greatly appreciated!
Thanks
Garrett
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 10-17-2011, 08:09 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

I have times when the sound just stops for 5-20 minutes and then starts playing fine

Garrett, I don't have an EyeTV HD, so I can't help you with any specific quirks of this tuner, but have you checked the signal strength/signal quality metrics? Look in EyeTV > Preferences > Devices.

Quote:

Or after it has been compressed to play on IPAD the sound is completely out of sync.

Are you using EyeTV to stream the file to your iPad? Is it in better sync when you add the file to iTunes and play it back with iTunes home sharing on the iPad?

The iPad is obviously wireless, is the Mac doing the streaming wireless as well?

What happens when you play the original file back on your Mac desktop--is the audio out of sync? What happens when you play the converted file back on the desktop? If THAT is out of sync on the desktop, i.e. post conversion, then your next option is to let some other app do the transcode instead of EyeTV. Test a conversion with Handbrake and see if you get better results. Many folks, me among them, get better results converting EyeTV recordings with Handbrake.
post #3 of 6 Old 10-18-2011, 06:56 AM - Thread Starter

thanks for the reply

This device does not have the signal strength/quality meter. It seems to come up when I watch live TV. I watch the Monday Night Game and when I caught up with live TV it started going quite for about 15 minutes. I changed the buffer to go to disk instead of memory and increased it from 1300ish to 3500, but it is still happening.

Tonight I am planning to put the sound straight to speakers and see if the sound stops.

Does there seem link any thing else I should try?
post #4 of 6 Old 10-18-2011, 06:57 AM - Thread Starter

Please excuse my horrible grammar!
post #5 of 6 Old 10-18-2011, 08:08 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
The reason I never bought the EyeTV HD is because it did not have digital audio in...so while it doesn't surprise me that you are having audio dropout and sync issues, as I said I'm also not in a position to help you with the dropouts.

But you have two issues--beside the dropouts when watching live, there's the audio being out of sync after you have EyeTV do iPad conversions. That I can help you with, and I asked you several questions, so where are you with that? Is the original recording in sync? Is the conversion in sync when played back by the Mac? That'll tell you whether it's a conversion issue or a wireless/streaming issue.

Quote:

Tonight I am planning to put the sound straight to speakers and see if the sound stops.

What were you doing, i.e. where was the sound going initially?
post #6 of 6 Old 10-29-2011, 03:40 PM

I too am having the same issue. I also have an issue where the audio sounds sped up (almost chipmunk sounding) for chunks of time during a recording.

Sometimes it doesn't do this, but most of the time it does. I usually record college football games to my U-Verse DVR and then play them back and record from the DVR to EyeTV. I have also tried recording to the EyeTV when the games are on live. I can't seem to find a rhyme or reason of why it does this.
Reply HTPC - Mac Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page