2011 mac mini SSD install - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 11-04-2011, 02:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys just got my mac mini with 2.7 I7 about a week ago and also just got in all of my upgrade parts last night so thought I'd share my experince of installing them. I put in an OWC SSD and a OWC 8 gigs of ram. Also used the ifixit dual hard drive kit to install my SSD as a second internal boot drive.
First off is the ssd install. I highly recommend the ifixit kit if you can catch it in stock. While a little pricey the grommets and apple sata connector work perfectly and there installation guides are top notch as are the OWC video guides. It is a little nerve racking completly tearing down your new mac mini but if you have a passion for this kind of thing and are pretty confident with your self around electronics it is really no big deal. Last was the 8 gigs of ram. It doesn't get any easier to install ram than this so not much to say. With everything up and running and OSX and my applications switched over to the SSD all i can say is this thing is smoking!! The one thing i can't figure out is that my startups are still not really faster which isn't a huge deal as i let my mini just go into sleep mode mostly.
Now I need to get a blu ray drive to start ripping my collection. I would like to know which blu ray drive y'all would recommend for this? Anyway thats all for now got some pics please forgive the quality as they came from the iPhone.

cheers,
Bryan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 11-04-2011, 02:46 PM - Thread Starter

upgrades
LL
post #3 of 9 Old 11-04-2011, 02:48 PM - Thread Starter

Yikes !!!
LL
post #4 of 9 Old 11-04-2011, 02:50 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Bryan, I'll be doing the same thing at some point soon, did you put the SSD in the free slot and keep the original where it was? Did you do a SuperDuper clone to the SSD drive after install or did you approach it a different way?

Did you discover anything doing your install that wasn't made clear enough in the iFixit tutorial, i.e. something that you were worried about, wasn't explained right or didn't feel right?
post #5 of 9 Old 11-04-2011, 02:50 PM - Thread Starter

all done
LL
post #6 of 9 Old 11-04-2011, 02:53 PM - Thread Starter

Yes sir i put it in the extra bay and left the stock hard drive in its original place. I used carbon copy cloner to switch stuff over don't really know if it was the best way to do it but it is what was recommended to me and seems to have worked great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefklc View Post

Bryan, I'll be doing the same thing at some point soon, did you put the SSD in the free slot and keep the original where it was? Did you do a SuperDuper clone to the SSD drive after install or did you approach it a different way?

post #7 of 9 Old 11-04-2011, 03:02 PM - Thread Starter

The ifixit tutorial was pretty darn good. Things that i noticed the grommets are kind of bugger to get in. Also putting the original drive back into it's bay (the bottom position) is kind of hard and the wifi antenna was a little difficult but they do address that. I would recommend using OWC hard drive installation video for the server model as well as they also walk you through reassembling it which the ifixit guide does not.

Bryan
post #8 of 9 Old 11-04-2011, 03:04 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 19
That sounds great, thanks for the confirmation. By the way, which SSD model did you choose and where'd you get it?

As far as blu-ray drives, I use an LG that's a few years old by now in a Vantec external USB enclosure. If you're just going to be ripping with MakeMKV, I suspect your best bet is to head over to the MakeMKV Mac forum to find out which drives are prickly, or if all of them are working fine these days. I haven't been keeping current, but some drives in USB enclosures with the JMicron chipsets have been causing some strange read errors, so best to check which controller is in your external.)
post #9 of 9 Old 11-04-2011, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter

I'm using 120 gig Mercury extreme pro 6g by OWC which i bought straight off the OWC website. Thanks for the drive info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefklc View Post

That sounds great, thanks for the confirmation. By the way, which SSD model did you choose and where'd you get it?

As far as blu-ray drives, I use an LG that's a few years old by now in a Vantec external USB enclosure. If you're just going to be ripping with MakeMKV, I suspect your best bet is to head over to the MakeMKV Mac forum to find out which drives are prickly, or if all of them are working fine these days. I haven't been keeping current, but some drives in USB enclosures with the JMicron chipsets have been causing some strange read errors, so best to check which controller is in your external.)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HTPC - Mac Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page