Can the EyeTV alert boxes be disabled? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 11-14-2011, 03:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I run EyeTV with a dual channel eyetv diversity on my Mac Mini. The Mac Mini exists solely to record TV and act as a server for the Sony Bravia. Although the mac Mini uses the Bravia as its monitor, I don't want to have to use this. I want to consume all content via the Sony to make the whole experience easier for my wife, who is focused solely on ease of use.

One major gripe is the insistence of eyetv to bring up alert boxes whenever something is done: schedule a recording, a recording completed, recording deleted, recording converted, etc. On the occasion when I do access the Mac Mini, it's pain seeing all these alert boxes on the screen and having to OK them (something that can't be done with the remote incidentally).

Is there a way to disable these?

Gareth
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 11-14-2011, 06:05 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

I want to consume all content via the Sony to make the whole experience easier for my wife, who is focused solely on ease of use.

Gareth, can you be a little more descriptive about how you have this set up...which remote are you using, the Sony TV remote? You power on the Bravia, then what, how are you getting to the EyeTV content?
post #3 of 6 Old 11-15-2011, 01:31 AM - Thread Starter

I was getting a bit ahead of myself. I need to solve one problem at a time.
Ignore the bit about the Use case for my wife as I haven't got all the transcoding sorted yet.

The actual question relates to disabling all the confirmation dialog boxes that EyeTV insists on displaying. The bit about the remote is that the EyeTV remote cannot dismiss the EyeTV dialogs
post #4 of 6 Old 11-15-2011, 09:53 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by garethhowell View Post

The bit about the remote is that the EyeTV remote cannot dismiss the EyeTV dialogs

I'm not having a problem with that, but the thing may be how I'm using EyeTV. I use the EyeTV remote only for playback; selecting shows from the Mac's EyeTV screen (not the one you get from the Remote by pressing ENTER), pausing a recording, skipping forward and back, stopping, and deleting (using the confirmation boxes). The EyeTV remote is somewhat unintuitive to use, and has to be aimed carefully at the tuner's IR receiver; it sometimes seems it's not responding when it's only that my aim is bad.

The rest of the operations (setting up recordings & options, checking the schedule & cruising the program guide) is done with my Bluetooth mouse. I also need the mouse to wake up the Mac when it is sleeping. Also, once in awhile when EyeTV seems unresponsive to the remote, I need to use the mouse to select the Recordings screen before the Remote will do its thing.

I'd guess the veterans here can explain it better, but that's my experience.
post #5 of 6 Old 11-16-2011, 01:55 AM - Thread Starter

Yes, the whole EyeTV remote is a bit of a nuisance in my experience.

It seemed like a good idea to get the remote when I bought the Diversity, but the need to point exactly at the Diversity is a pain. Given that the dongle has the antenna wires connected to it and the USB sockets are on the back of the MacMini makes it natural for the dongle to be hidden out of the way at the back of the MacMini. However, to get the remote to work it has to be visible from the front: and that's untidy.
post #6 of 6 Old 11-16-2011, 08:45 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by garethhowell View Post

Yes, the whole EyeTV remote is a bit of a nuisance in my experience.

It seemed like a good idea to get the remote when I bought the Diversity, but the need to point exactly at the Diversity is a pain. Given that the dongle has the antenna wires connected to it and the USB sockets are on the back of the MacMini makes it natural for the dongle to be hidden out of the way at the back of the MacMini. However, to get the remote to work it has to be visible from the front: and that's untidy.

With a short USB extension cable, the tuner could be out of the way and still maintain line of sight. Of course, you could always control the on-screen remote with your mouse; that works for me, except the Bluetooth mouse seems to lose its connection just when it's needed, and is even less wife-friendly than the remote ....
Reply HTPC - Mac Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page