EyeTV with Multiple Tuners - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 11-29-2011, 03:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I'm happily using a 250+ on a MBP to record clear QAM, and want to be able to record two shows at a time. I understand the dual tuner HD Homerun is the supported way to go, but my router is nowhere near my TV (or cable feed) so I'm thinking of a second 250+. Elgato writes that this is an 'unsupported feature' because EyeTV can't select which tuner to use, but when I spoke with them they said EyeTV only supports one device, that they can give no advice on this topic, and that although they've heard that it can work, it may not be stable.

Any advice on how to do this, pitfalls, best chance for success, or process for installation? Use two similar tuners or different ones? Since I already have a 250+ do I need to run the Setup Asst?

I get it that this was discussed in the EyeTV Lounge, but all that is inaccessible, so help will be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 11-30-2011, 06:23 AM

Liked: 10
I don't know about the 250+, but my setup is a Hybrid and an HDHR, all connected to the same source (clearQAM cable feed). I haven't had any issues, I've had this setup for about 18 months now. Sometimes if I'm watching Live TV while recording I'll get an error about not being able to change the channel, and I have to open a new TV window to activate the next tuner. Not a big deal though.
post #3 of 17 Old 11-30-2011, 09:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by slopduck View Post

I don't know about the 250+, but my setup is a Hybrid and an HDHR, all connected to the same source (clearQAM cable feed). I haven't had any issues.

So how does EyeTV know you've got those two different tuners connected; how was it set up? Is the HDHR Ethernet connected to your router, or directly to the Mac?
Quote:

Sometimes if I'm watching Live TV while recording I'll get an error about not being able to change the channel.

But you get no errors when just recording simultaneous scheduled shows?
post #4 of 17 Old 11-30-2011, 10:11 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm running 2 dual HDHomerun tuners recording up to 4 OTA TV programs at a time with no problems. EyeTV will just find them.
You can put an ethernet switch next to the Mac so you can connect the Mac and the tuners to that with only 1 connection to the router. The router will see the tuners and Mac and assign IP addresses to them through the switch.
post #5 of 17 Old 11-30-2011, 11:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ One View Post

I'm running 2 dual HDHomerun tuners ....... EyeTV will just find them.

Do you have to run the Setup Assistant for that? Is the HD Homerun (Silicon Dust?) software needed?
post #6 of 17 Old 11-30-2011, 02:30 PM

No, just plug them in..
Yes, Silicon Dust.
No software needed.
post #7 of 17 Old 11-30-2011, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gring40 View Post

So how does EyeTV know you've got those two different tuners connected; how was it set up? Is the HDHR Ethernet connected to your router, or directly to the Mac?

But you get no errors when just recording simultaneous scheduled shows?

Its been a long time since I originally set it up, so I don't recall if I had to redo Setup assistant, but i don't think I did. I think EyeTV is smart enough to auto-detect all the tuners on launch. I only get the error when I'm trying to change the channel on a tuner that is currently recording, it gives no errors when recording on multiple tuners.

The HDHR software is not needed.

I have everything hard wired. I once tried to setup EyeTV on a wifi machine a couple rooms over and it didn't behave very well with the HDHR (It failed to pull down a strong enough signal to stream the video).
post #8 of 17 Old 11-30-2011, 02:34 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 17
If you already have one 250+ your best bet for success is getting a second of that same model...so another 250+...the only thing I'd worry about is using 2 tuners on the same USB bus. USB on Macs can be finicky, without the EyeTV forum archive to peruse you won't know if there are any other users who have verified two 250+ will work well together. Many (most?) of us around here dislike USB tuners...I was given a 250+ by El Gato to play with, that's the only reason I have one. It worked fine with my 500s but that's mainly because they were all recording the same shows, all clearQAM HD.

Quote:

Is the HD Homerun (Silicon Dust?) software needed?

No. That's what EyeTV is for.

Quote:

Is the HDHR Ethernet connected to your router, or directly to the Mac?

Asking this question might mean you don't understand how the HD Homerun works...like Russ One said you don't wire the Homerun to your Mac. It's a networked tuner, you just plug it into a open ethernet port on your router, Airport Extreme, a gigabit switch, whatever.

I recommend you get an HD Homerun instead of a second 250+ because it is a better value for the money. You already have EyeTV software which means you can buy the tuner anywhere.
post #9 of 17 Old 11-30-2011, 06:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefklc View Post

If you already have one 250+ your best bet for success is getting a second of that same model...

Thanks for all the help; I might try another 250+ first since I have one already that is working perfectly.

Quote:

USB on Macs can be finicky, without the EyeTV forum archive to peruse you won't know if there are any other users who have verified two 250+ will work well together.

Agreed, and that's why I posed the question here, and appreciate the answers. I pointed out the loss of all the forum info to the Elgato CS guy I spoke to (he didn't even know the forum had closed) and he agreed to pass along a request that the forum be re-opened for read-only retrieval of all that wealth of information. Not holding my breath:-)

Quote:

Asking this question might mean you don't understand how the HD Homerun works...

I thought I did, and then read in the HD Homerun Manual under Network Connection that in addition to connecting it to your network that "Alternatively, the HDHomeRun can be connected directly to a PC or laptop using the supplied network cable." :surprised:

Quote:

I recommend you get an HD Homerun instead of a second 250+ because it is a better value for the money.

Can't argue with that; 250+ models are $$ these days. The HDHR would be a great Plan B. It's just that the router's not at all close to the TV & cable feed, so there are problems there.
post #10 of 17 Old 03-13-2012, 09:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gring40 View Post

Thanks for all the help; I might try another 250+ first since I have one already that is working perfectly.

Update: I've added a 2nd EyeTV 250+ to my setup, and it's working perfectly. EyeTV recognizes it (says two 250+ units are attached) without my doing any setup. I see that it will choose alternate tuners for successive shows if no other shows are scheduled, so I get a bit of padding for each automatically; nice. :-)

As expected, I can record two shows and watch a third, and also get PIP for live TV.

Put in a PCT amp to boost my split signal, and this eliminates any stuttering, even though EyeTV3 shows no apparent change in signal strength. I guess that meter is unreliable?
post #11 of 17 Old 10-21-2012, 03:41 PM

Hi All,

Hopefully somebody will find this thread. I recently started using EyeTV3 and a pair of HDHomeruns. I know that Elgato doesn't really support multiple HDHomeruns, but the 1st level support guy said that it was a question of bandwidth. At the time the entire setup was hanging off a 100 Mbps switch and I could record using all four tuners.

I bought an 8-port Gigabit switch moved everything to it. EyeTV3 still sees both HDHomeruns, but will now only record using 3 tuners. It seems counterintuitive that more bandwidth would not work as well.

I've done a couple of reboots of everything involved, but don't see any difference. Before I put the 100 Mbps switch back into the picture, does anyone have any ideas?

TIA.

-Bob
post #12 of 17 Old 10-23-2012, 12:58 AM

Liked: 11
Not exactly your configuration, but here is my experience anyway, for what it is worth.
I connected 2 EyeTV Diversity (each in dual tuner mode) through 2 separate USB cables to my 2009 Mac Mini, for a total of 4 independent tuners.
4 parallel recordings work fine, viewing in addition a 5th NON-HD recording works fine, but viewing in parallel a HD recording saturates the CPU and generates some image skips into the ongoing recordings.
post #13 of 17 Old 10-24-2012, 08:25 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwberry View Post

".... I bought an 8-port Gigabit switch moved everything to it. EyeTV3 still sees both HDHomeruns, but will now only record using 3 tuners. It seems counterintuitive that more bandwidth would not work as well. ...."
See post #4 in this thread; doing exactly what you are doing, no problems.

Why not put the other switch back to see what happens, and also explain what was wrong with it?
post #14 of 17 Old 01-31-2013, 08:17 PM

I'm having the exact same problem with two HD Homeruns on an entirely gigabit network. Three tuners works fine, but then the fourth kicks in I get a 0 second recording. Have you had any luck figuring this out?
post #15 of 17 Old 02-01-2013, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypma View Post

I'm having the exact same problem with two HD Homeruns on an entirely gigabit network. Three tuners works fine, but then the fourth kicks in I get a 0 second recording. Have you had any luck figuring this out?

Is the switch and the tuners right at the computer so no other traffic is going thru the switch?
My switch with the tuners are one foot away from my mini so there is no other traffic between the mini and them. Even at that the data/recordings are being sent back thru the switch to the next switch and then to my unRaid server.
Is the switch hard wired to the computer or is it wireless?
How about the wiring? Is it up to gigabit traffic?
And it could be the switch, there have been problems with certain switches not performing well when hot.
Is it always the same tuner section? Are the tuners the ones with 2 antenna inputs instead of 1?
Maybe when you disturbed them the center pin/wire on antenna connection got bent or is just not making a good connection?
Lots of things to check..
I run 5 HD streams thru 2 switches to my unraid server, 4 recording and one playback, the only problem I see is in the playback. While doing this the playback will pause for a second once in a while, Not sure if it is EyeTv, my Mini or the server, but if I play back the same recording alone or with one being recorded it's fine so not a big deal and I'm probably asking my 09 Mini to do a lot and I'm sure EyeTV and or the Mac OS is giving priority to the data being saved.
Also those tuners are not as good as the built in TV tuner, at least for OTA, and they sometimes will not lock to the signal for a few seconds if the signal isn't good enough, causing a station not available message and no recording.
post #16 of 17 Old 02-05-2013, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypma View Post

i have a hybrid & hdhr, and altho eyetv usually works w/3 simultaneous recordings, occasionally i get 0 len recordings:-(
post #17 of 17 Old 02-05-2013, 07:38 PM

on a related issue, is there any way of querying eyetv via applescript to determine how many tuners are available?
Reply HTPC - Mac Chat