Home Theater Experience of Lion vs Leopard - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 01-22-2012, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I have a 2009 Intel iMac, and two first generation AppleTVs. For the past several years, I have been enjoying a fairly stable Home Theater experience based around Leopard. The key software pieces are iTunes (obviously), MakeMKV for ripping, HandBrake for transcoding, and some EyeTV for recording/editing/transcoding DirecTV content input via a HDPVR. My total library is probably about 4TB. My drives are primarily FireWire 400 & 800, and virtually everything is hard-wired, Ethernet-wise. AppleTV has been my exclusive playback device, although my iMac is connected to my primary HDTV as well as my Receiver. I was never able to elevate iMac viewing to the level of convenience of the AppleTV.

I purchased SnowLeopard but never installed it due to the multitude of compatibility issues reported with my home theater software. Now that a few years have passed, I am interested in feedback from this group.

1. Has your home theater experience been ultimately elevated after upgrading to Lion? Do you still fight compatibility issues and bugs without easy workarounds?
2. How about the upgrade from Plex 8 to Plex 9? I have recently setup Plex 8 in an initial fashion for my 1080p movie viewing along with BluRay. So far, it has outperformed DLNA on my BluRay player (LG670/EyeConnect) hands down.

In 2012, I am not as accepting of the 720p limitations in AppleTV, although I still see it as my primary Music and TV show playback device. I'm leaning towards a full blown Plex setup for Movie playback.

Will the overall experience I can get with Lion exceed where I am at today AND be reliable?

I appreciate your perspectives on this.

I hate all this downtime in between drafts...(unidentified Lions loyalist '2004)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 01-23-2012, 01:51 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyLions View Post

In 2012, I am not as accepting of the 720p limitations in AppleTV, although I still see it as my primary Music and TV show playback device. I'm leaning towards a full blown Plex setup for Movie playback.

Will the overall experience I can get with Lion exceed where I am at today AND be reliable?

I use Mac mini (July 2011) with Lion and Plex (and my media is on a hard-wired NAS) I use iPad apps to control the Mini and Plex. It has been very reliable so far. It doesn't play natively HD-DTS nor Dolby HD/MA but supposedly (see other thread) LCPM
Reply HTPC - Mac Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page