Mac Mini (2011) to TV's HDMI - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 01-22-2012, 09:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have just bought Samsung un55d6050. When i connect my brand new Mac Mini (2011) directly from computer's hdmi to the tv, the display is very quality:
my first impression is the images and text are not sharp. Upon close inspection, there is a pixel wide halo around text, which makes the image not sharp and smooth.

Note: I also have an older Mac Mini (2008) connected to VGA port of the TV, which looks perfectly smooth sharp.

What's the problem? I called Apple. They did all the trouble shoot. They told me that it's most likely that my tv's hdmi needs configuration for computer input. Also, they did online search, and found that for Samsung recent model especially 3D models, that halo problem is widely known and can be solved by adjusting the hdmi setting on the TV. My TV is not even 3D. I searched online, and I couldn't find anything...

Help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-23-2012, 09:20 AM

I just upgraded to a 2011 Mini and therefore had to switch from VGA to HDMI input. I noticed the same thing with text, which was not a problem with VGA input from my old Mini. I have not tried to adjust TV settings. I am running a SONY BRV-4 55 inch. Will try tonight and let you know if I find a solution.
post #3 of 8 Old 01-23-2012, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRIS650 View Post

I have just bought Samsung un55d6050. When i connect my brand new Mac Mini (2011) directly from computer's hdmi to the tv, the display is very quality:
my first impression is the images and text are not sharp. Upon close inspection, there is a pixel wide halo around text, which makes the image not sharp and smooth.

Note: I also have an older Mac Mini (2008) connected to VGA port of the TV, which looks perfectly smooth sharp.

What's the problem? I called Apple. They did all the trouble shoot. They told me that it's most likely that my tv's hdmi needs configuration for computer input. Also, they did online search, and found that for Samsung recent model especially 3D models, that halo problem is widely known and can be solved by adjusting the hdmi setting on the TV. My TV is not even 3D. I searched online, and I couldn't find anything...

Help!

Did you rename the input 'PC?'
post #4 of 8 Old 01-26-2012, 10:05 AM

Quote:

Help!

Go to display preferences and select 1080p resolution. Does that help? If not, try other resolutions. You may need to use the SwitchResX app, which is not fun at all (google "Switchresx Samsung un55d6050" and see what comes up, if you can't find a resolution that is acceptable to you).
post #5 of 8 Old 01-27-2012, 12:32 PM - Thread Starter

I found the answer:

For bit-perfect 1080p, Samsung has the first HDMI/dvi input for such purpose. Even with that, you have to name it PC.

Such an odd thing.
post #6 of 8 Old 01-27-2012, 08:02 PM

Are you running at 1920x1080 native resolution for 1080p? This can make a difference if the picture is not at the native resolution.
post #7 of 8 Old 01-28-2012, 12:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
Quote:

I found the answer:

For bit-perfect 1080p, Samsung has the first HDMI/dvi input for such purpose. Even with that, you have to name it PC.

Such an odd thing.

You're welcome.
post #8 of 8 Old 01-29-2012, 09:53 AM - Thread Starter

not entirely from your advice. If you name other HDMI input PC, nothing happens!!!
Reply HTPC - Mac Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page