Mac Mini two screens problem - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 02-08-2012, 10:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a 2011 Mac Mini (one of those $519 Christmas re-furbs) that I'm trying to run two screens on in my home theater. One screen is a 23" Sceptre at 1080p using HDMI and the Thunderbolt to HDMI adapter from Monoprice. The other screen is my Mits HC4000 projector which is connected through my Yamaha RX-A700 to the HDMI port on the Mini. I'd like to mirror the displays which seems to work fine running 720p but when I switch to 1080p I lose the picture on the projector. Anyone running a similar set up or have any advice?

I sort of had this working but could not get full 1080p from the Sceptre because all I had was a Thunderbolt to VGA (which I don't think would allow the full 1080p) But I could get 1080 out of the projector. Now I get 1080 from the monitor and no picture from the projector.

Should I be able to do this?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 02-18-2012, 07:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 29
When I first plugged in my 1080p PJ, the Mini tried to connect with 1080p50, and they couldn't connect. I had to choose a 1080p60 setting in the Mac to get it to work. Solid ever since. Maybe try setting up as non-mirrored at first so you can see what is happening on the small monitor to get it working, then switch to mirrored.
post #3 of 4 Old 03-02-2012, 02:49 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Still no love. I wonder if there is some type of pass thru setting on the Yamaha is need to fiddle with.

Thanks!
post #4 of 4 Old 03-02-2012, 11:35 PM

Liked: 11
Beware that beyond HDMI, you may also have HDCP issues, especially with a 3rd partner (Yamaha AVR) in the path.
I would first check that both your displays work fine at the same 1080p@60Hz resolution when DIRECTLY connected (Yamaha bypassed) on their respective outputs (Thunderbolt, HDMI), while keeping all adapters in the path.
If it works, the problem comes from the Yamaha.
I would then experiment on the order you power-on the Mini/Yamaha/Sceptre/Mits since this will affect the proper HDCP/EDID handshaking.
Powering first the Yamaha, then the Mini, then the Displays may be a good idea.
Depending on the result of those experiments, if it is EDID related, something like Gefen HDMI Detective Plus may help.
Reply HTPC - Mac Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page