AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Airplay Mirroring comes to OS X (from The Verge):
Quote:

AIRPLAY MIRRORING
AirPlay is one of the best features of iOS, and Apple's bringing some of it to OS X you can now use AirPlay Mirroring with an Apple TV to view your computer's screen on a television. The AirPlay icon simply appears in the menu bar when you're on the same network as an Apple TV, and it's just one click to turn it on. You'll get stereo audio and output is limited by the Apple TV to 720p, but Mountain Lion will automatically switch to the best local screen resolution it can find for your system and scale automatically, so you don't really need to worry about settings. You're able to play iTunes movies and TV shows, but licensing restrictions unfortunately means the local display gets blacked out. (This is particularly stupid, but it's only fair to blame the studios for such foolishness, not Apple.)

AirPlay wasn't yet enabled on our test system, but Apple showed us a very impressive demo of an iPad and a MacBook Air playing Real Racing head-to-head, with the Mac streaming to a TV. We'll have to see how it all works with real-world bandwidth in our own living room, but what we saw was definitely amazing and we can think of many, many more possibilities for AirPlay on OS X beyond simple mirroring down the line.

For more on Mountain Lion:
The Verge's Mountain Lion article
http://www.apple.com/macosx/mountain-lion/
Daring Fireball's ML article
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 02-16-2012, 10:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Cool. So, theoretically, you can play flash video (yikes) from a Mac to AppleTV using AirPlay Mirroring.
post #3 of 12 Old 02-17-2012, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bommai View Post

Cool. So, theoretically, you can play flash video (yikes) from a Mac to AppleTV using AirPlay Mirroring.

I doubt it -- doesn't under iOS, each individual program have to support AirPlay? The chances that Adobe will put the AirPlay hooks in for its OS X Flash plugin are somewhere between zero and none. Adobe is too busy abandoning Flash and building HTML 5 tools.
post #4 of 12 Old 02-17-2012, 01:28 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
No, it's the OS itself that will be enabling AirPlay mirroring and as I understand it it's not a function of Adobe or any app approving it per se, if you can watch it within Safari on your Mac you can AirPlay it--because of Safari you'll be able to then Airplay it over to your Apple TV, because that is taking place after it was already allowed "on" your Mac, in other words if you're watching video from Hulu or websites such as ABC.com or CBS.com on your Mac, unless Apple implements something, there's no way for Hulu or ABC or CBS to stop you or even be aware of what you're doing with it next, as in Airplaying it to the aTV2.

That an app on the iPad has to support Airplay is something else because you are asking the app itself to AirPlay to the aTV2, "display mirroring" on the iPad just works with whatever is on the display at the time, i.e. not app specific.

Nice article speculating along much the same lines:

http://www.cultofmac.com/147191/why-...rst-nightmare/
post #5 of 12 Old 02-17-2012, 01:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I see streaming high-res audio from my macbook in my future.
This may get me to finally upgrade my OS from Leopard.
post #6 of 12 Old 02-17-2012, 01:40 PM
AVS Club Gold

well, you can stream whatever you want but if you're sending it through an aTV2 via AirPlay you're going to be limited by what the Apple TV 2 supports, and in the case of audio that is 48kHz. (There's a rumored Apple TV 3 in the works and who knows what the new specs will be...)
post #7 of 12 Old 02-17-2012, 02:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by chefklc View Post

well, you can stream whatever you want but if you're sending it through an aTV2 via AirPlay you're going to be limited by what the Apple TV 2 supports, and in the case of audio that is 48kHz. (There's a rumored Apple TV 3 in the works and who knows what the new specs will be...)

Forgive my ignorance, but can you stream VBR M3U?
post #8 of 12 Old 02-18-2012, 05:50 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

...can you stream VBR M3U?

Doubtful, a M3U is just a playlist file, right? You don't AirPlay a playlist data file per se. The only thing I've done with them, on the very rare occasion I have to deal with one, is drag and drop them into iTunes, then let iTunes convert and import the files. Once they're in iTunes, I set up the playlists and smart playlists I want.
post #9 of 12 Old 02-19-2012, 04:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Chef, thanks for the info. So forget Flash, this would mean the ability to play DVDs/VIDEO_TS via your AppleTV or even MKVs of Blu-rays. That's a neat trick.
post #10 of 12 Old 02-21-2012, 07:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 53
What about things like Boxee or XMBC? Or VLC say, to play some media that you don't want to transcode for iTunes/iOS compatible content?

Of course, it's limited to 720p because Apple TV is limited to that resolution? How reliable is video streaming via AirPlay?
post #11 of 12 Old 02-23-2012, 07:56 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

What about things like Boxee or XMBC? Or VLC say

My assumption w/ Mountain Lion--and we're just guessing at this point--is anything that you can open up and play on your Mac desktop you can Airplay to the Apple TV...because that functionality is going to be built right into the OS itself, Mountain Lion will automagically detect the presence of an aTV2 on your network and allow the little Airplay icon to show up...presumably just like how an iPad handles "display mirroring." On the iPad, even when you're using an app like Netflix which specifically does not support AirPlay from within the app, you can still start playing something with the Netflix app on the iPad, then invoke display mirroring via double-tap of the home button for the iOS menu bar Airplay icon and bingo, it's fullscreen on your Apple TV. (Not that you'd ever need to do this since Netflix is supported on the Apple TV, but the principle is what I'm after.)

So I expect VLC would be just like playing Flash or Hulu or Netflix within Safari or the Apple dvd player or any other standalone desktop player, you start watching something, then select AirPlay mirroring to the aTV2. As long as you're using a Mac with a Sandy Bridge or better processor, that is.

XBMC (Boxee is dead on the Mac) is a little different in the sense that it is a fullscreen front end, if you're already "within" its user interface there wouldn't be a way to invoke AirPlay mirroring unless that was specifically added by those devs (i.e. as long as Apple first gave them a way to add it) or there was a way to watch XBMC in a window rather than fullscreen. (There may be, I just don't know the command since I've only ever wanted XBMC to be fullscreen.) If you could run XBMC in a window on the desktop, then sure, you'd be able to Airplay that to an aTV2.

Quote:

How reliable is video streaming via AirPlay?

From the iPad, very reliable to a wired Apple TV2, which is the only way I've used mine. I do it a lot, it's the main way I watch non iTunes/iOS ready content on my stock Apple TV2 (via AirVideo on the iPad.)

Quote:

...to play some media that you don't want to transcode for iTunes/iOS compatible content?

yes, most of us here have a pretty good Mac right at our HDTVs, so we can very easily play anything we want already with XBMC right up to the 1080p of our TVs, but for 1) a secondary location where you only have the budget for a $99 device this new feature will be nice for someone 2) who doesn't already have an iPad (because if you have one you've already been doing live transcodes with AirVideo and AirPlaying video to the aTV2 at 720p for the past year and you haven't needed a Sandy Bridge Mac to do it.)

Quote:

Of course, it's limited to 720p because Apple TV is limited to that resolution?

Even though I just picked up another refurb aTV2 from Apple the other day, I'm more eager than ever to see if an Apple TV 3 is released in addition to the iPad 3.
post #12 of 12 Old 02-23-2012, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Hmm, this mirroring feature will be a lot more useful if you can send VLC and other apps. in full-screen mode to AppleTV-connected TV.
Reply HTPC - Mac Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page