Plasma > Macmini > Plex - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 02-19-2012, 08:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
was wondering if there are any special settings I should use on my tv or through plex settings to get the best picture? I pretty much just installed plex awhile back and never messed with the internal settings the same goes for the plasma.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 02-19-2012, 02:09 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
It's hard to suggest anything phas3 because you haven't given us any real information. Saying "mini" or "plasma" or "Plex" doesn't mean much: which mini, which plasma, what's its native resolution, how are you connecting, what country you live in, which versions of OS X and Plex, and that's just some basics before you even get into trickier settings like whether you need hardware acceleration or matching display refresh rate to match video.
post #3 of 8 Old 02-28-2012, 09:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I just bought the newest Mac Mini and hooked it up to the Pioneer Elite SC-05 receiver via HDMI and the 60" Pioneer Elite Kuro connects to the receiver and get 1080p from Mac Mini. Corner to corner perfection. I didn't have to set anything. After hooking up the Mac Mini, I downloaded and installed the newest version of Plex and it automatically loaded up the library from my iMac across the room that has Drobo connected to it. Everything was buttery smooth and seamless.

PSN: Fail_At_Failing
XBL: jitu757

bbexperience: "hmm. I don't know. It's hard to notice the sensitivity of the sticks when the controller is flying through the air."
post #4 of 8 Old 02-28-2012, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jitu View Post

I just bought the newest Mac Mini

Did you get Intel graphics or AMD graphics?

I don't know if it makes a difference, but it might, since the video drivers are (obviously) different.
post #5 of 8 Old 02-29-2012, 07:28 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 15
Yes, please give all your mini/iMac/Drobo details (see chefklc's post just before yours). Thanks.

RE: PLEX vs XBMC - I tried XBMC (again after a couple years since the last try) on chefklc's recommendation and will not go back. Watched a rip of A Better Life last night and had subtitles perfectly, something I could never do with PLEX (in fact I was going with DVDs instead of BDs with foreign language films because of that... not now). Good interface, works with my Harmony 880 & diNovo mini.

If more of us valued food and cheer above hoarded gold, it would be a much merrier world.

post #6 of 8 Old 03-01-2012, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Gremlin View Post

Did you get Intel graphics or AMD graphics?

I don't know if it makes a difference, but it might, since the video drivers are (obviously) different.

I got the one with Intel graphics card.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grubavs View Post

Yes, please give all your mini/iMac/Drobo details (see chefklc's post just before yours). Thanks.

RE: PLEX vs XBMC - I tried XBMC (again after a couple years since the last try) on chefklc's recommendation and will not go back. Watched a rip of A Better Life last night and had subtitles perfectly, something I could never do with PLEX (in fact I was going with DVDs instead of BDs with foreign language films because of that... not now). Good interface, works with my Harmony 880 & diNovo mini.

I will write up a more detail on my setup and add diagrams to help. To note, I switched to 720p from 1080p because with 1080p it's not very easy to see the small icons, text in the toolbar but the problem with 720p is that it doesn't fill my tv screen perfectly like 1080p does. I have tried tweaking the overscan slider but it doesn't cover vertical and horizontal spanning the way I want it to. Since, the Mac Mini is being used for more than just running Plex I need to be able to see the browser's icons and url field. Otherwise, I would leave it at 1080p.

PSN: Fail_At_Failing
XBL: jitu757

bbexperience: "hmm. I don't know. It's hard to notice the sensitivity of the sticks when the controller is flying through the air."
post #7 of 8 Old 03-01-2012, 06:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jitu View Post

I got the one with Intel graphics card.

I will write up a more detail on my setup and add diagrams to help. To note, I switched to 720p from 1080p because with 1080p it's not very easy to see the small icons, text in the toolbar but the problem with 720p is that it doesn't fill my tv screen perfectly like 1080p does. I have tried tweaking the overscan slider but it doesn't cover vertical and horizontal spanning the way I want it to. Since, the Mac Mini is being used for more than just running Plex I need to be able to see the browser's icons and url field. Otherwise, I would leave it at 1080p.

It's a setting under your tv settings, for my PN51D6500 it's on my remote called P.Size and set it to screen fit that will make it so that even if you're at 1080p it will show everything. I hope that helps.
post #8 of 8 Old 03-02-2012, 09:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 26
it's been a while since I did the OSX HTPC, but I remember there being a setting to change the size of icons to bigger. I think it also changed the text size as well.

I did find some pics of my home screen when I was running OSX (snow leapord I believe)

The TV only goes up to 720p.
Reply HTPC - Mac Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page