AppleTV with XBMC - Can I Get This Functionality? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 03-09-2012, 04:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Alright, so I've been trying to do some research but I'm having trouble finding answers. I have an iMac in my living room and I want to put an AppleTV in my bedroom.

If I jailbreak it and install XBMC, is there any way to access OTA signals? For example, can I pull the signals in on my iMac and then access the OTA feed on my aTV with XBMC installed?

Also, I understand that Hulu can be accessed with a jailbreak but what about HBO Go? If I could get Netflix, Hulu, and HBO Go with OTA signals, I'd cancel my cable subscription tomorrow.

Thanks guys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 03-09-2012, 06:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dem Bums View Post

Alright, so I've been trying to do some research but I'm having trouble finding answers. I have an iMac in my living room and I want to put an AppleTV in my bedroom.

My Macs are upstairs and I have one Apple TV upstairs and one downstairs. On the one downstairs, I'm currently watching the Rachel Maddow show off my satellite box using Airplay with my iPhone or iPad streaming from my Mac Mini with my Hauppauge! HD PVR. Although I'm watching satellite now, I can also watch OTA channels using my other computer which has an EyeTV 500 attached again using Airplay with either my iPhone or iPad. I haven't really seen much need to jailbreak my Apple TVs and certainly to do what you want to do you don't have to. With Mountain Lion, you should be able to use Airplay to directly send stuff from EyeTV to an Apple TV, but El Gato hasn't announced anything there.

Dennis

Dennis Whiteman
Check out HDTVOK.COM
post #3 of 4 Old 03-09-2012, 07:14 PM - Thread Starter

Sorry, im bad with all of this. Are you saying that you have signal going into your computer upstairs, then you stream to your iphone, and then use airplay to stream it to your apple tv?
post #4 of 4 Old 03-10-2012, 08:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dem Bums View Post

Sorry, im bad with all of this. Are you saying that you have signal going into your computer upstairs, then you stream to your iphone, and then use airplay to stream it to your apple tv?

Yep, that's exactly what I'm saying. In the case of the Mac Mini, I have a component cable running from my Dish 2llK satellite receiver to my Hauppauge! and a USB cable running into the Mini. In the case of my Macbook Pro, I have an antenna running into my 8-year-old EyeTV 500 box and it's connected to the MBP via a Firewire 400 cable. In both cases, I can then stream to my iPhone or iPad and use Airplay to send to one of my Apple TVs for displaying on a TV. I lose a little quality and I have to go upstairs to change channels on the Dish receiver when needed, but I also have podcasts, a huge library of video in iTunes, Vimeo and much more.

Dennis

Dennis Whiteman
Check out HDTVOK.COM
Reply HTPC - Mac Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page