Mac + ATV. apple remote conflict? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 03-12-2012, 03:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm currently controlling my Mac Mini with a Harmony Remote (using the Plex codes which simulates multiple apple remotes, and remote buddy for mapping on the Mac). My ATV is on order, and I plan to leave the Mini in the system. I just realized they both will respond to the apple remote. So if I'm watching the ATV, any remote commands may cause the Mini to respond as well.

Anyone have any good ways to cope with this? I'm thinking something like unpairing the ATV from all but one apple remote in the Plex script, and just make sure nothing on that remote is mapped to the Mini. Is this possible?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2012, 04:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Sounds like you should pair one remote with your Mac and one with your Apple TV...

Pairing your Apple Remote with your computer

Troubleshooting the Apple Remote

Dennis

Dennis Whiteman
Check out HDTVOK.COM
Old 03-13-2012, 08:42 AM

The best way to deal with this is to set up the Harmony Apple TV as another random device, say a Sony Blu Ray player, and then use the AppleTV's built in learning capability to teach it to use those signals. This actually makes it better than the Standard Apple remote in Harmony, as it allows you to teach it extra functions like Stop, skip back, skip forward in addition to Menu, FF, RW, Play/Pause. Works like a charm and no more confusion between the Mini and the aTV.
Old 03-18-2012, 12:09 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by slopduck View Post

The best way to deal with this is to set up the Harmony Apple TV as another random device, say a Sony Blu Ray player, and then use the AppleTV's built in learning capability to teach it to use those signals. This actually makes it better than the Standard Apple remote in Harmony, as it allows you to teach it extra functions like Stop, skip back, skip forward in addition to Menu, FF, RW, Play/Pause. Works like a charm and no more confusion between the Mini and the aTV.

Excellent! That sounds like the ticket.
Old 03-19-2012, 04:30 PM - Thread Starter

An update,

Slopducks solution works very well. It was very easy to teach the ATV the new IR codes.

Only problem is there is no way I've found to make the ATV forget the apple remote, so when I control the Mac, the ATV is reacting to signals from the apple remote codes coming from the harmony.
Old 03-20-2012, 09:15 AM

Now that you're only using the Apple remote with the mini you can pair it to your mini, that should (hopefully) fix that issue. (I don't actually use the Apple remote commands with my mini, instead I use an Activity that combines the EyeTV remote and a Belkin USB-IR receiver I picked up for cheap.)
Old 03-21-2012, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Now that you're only using the Apple remote with the mini you can pair it to your mini, that should (hopefully) fix that issue. (I don't actually use the Apple remote commands with my mini, instead I use an Activity that combines the EyeTV remote and a Belkin USB-IR receiver I picked up for cheap.)

I don't use the apple remote with the Mini, I use the Plex harmony remote, which emulates multiple apple remotes (around 10 I think). It works very well if you want to go beyond the basic functions and be able to activate applescripts to launch apps via the harmony. I guess I could pair the apple remote with the ATV, then figure out which one it is among the Plex profiles, and disable it with remote buddy. Yeah! that's the ticket.
Old 03-22-2012, 02:15 PM

Quote:

Exactly what I did with mine, after getting fed up of having to cover one or the other devices IR receiver.

Works brilliantly too!
Old 04-29-2012, 03:12 PM

Sorry I came into this thread late, but there are an increasing number of ATV users who are reporting problems with the interface between their ATV and their PC/Mac. In my case, when I attempt to navigate my iTunes menu on Apple TV via Apple's Home Sharing, Home Sharing crashes. Some users do not experience the problem using Airtime when they navigate their iTunes menu from their PC/Macs, including myself, but the problem returns and Home Sharing crashes again, when a user attempts to navigate their iTunes menu from their Apple TV. The problem seems to have started with the latest ATV update. Several ATV Community discussions have voiced their frustration, but no word from Apple or patches are available, yet.
Old 02-02-2014, 05:01 AM

I'm puzzled.

I did exactly that (creating a Harmony activity with a Sony remote, and teach the Apple TV the Sony remote commands). And although it works well to prevent the Mac to respond to Apple TV clicks, it does nothing to prevent the Apple TV to respond to Plex clicks.

The solution would be pairing the Apple TV to the newly created Sony Remote on the Harmony, but there is no way (that I am aware of) to pair a non-Apple remote to the Apple TV.

So, which options do we have...?

Remote Buddy maybe?

Any ideas?

Thanks so much.