thunderbolt to hdmi adapters and digital audio - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 03-25-2012, 03:36 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 49
I'm a little unclear on how these work. I'm referring to things like the moshi and monoprice minidisplayport to hdmi adapters.

If I am using a thunderbolt to hdmi converter on a macbook air for example, do I get up to 8 channel pcm like I would get with a native hdmi output?

Would I also get truehd and dts-hd bitstreaming?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-30-2012, 07:32 PM
guf

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
pretty sure you won't. but you'll get dolby digital or dts through there, (but not through the minijack)
post #3 of 6 Old 04-04-2012, 12:39 PM

just get one of there from monoprice... http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2 . i believe that they offer video and audio pass through. that may not be what you want.
post #4 of 6 Old 04-04-2012, 03:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by guf View Post

pretty sure you won't. but you'll get dolby digital or dts through there, (but not through the minijack)

I am pretty sure the mini jack still supports the mini-Toslink. So if you use the mini-Toslink cable, you can get DTS/DD from minijack also.
post #5 of 6 Old 04-13-2012, 04:57 PM
guf

Quote:
Originally Posted by bommai View Post

I am pretty sure the mini jack still supports the mini-Toslink. So if you use the mini-Toslink cable, you can get DTS/DD from minijack also.

Funny that the 2011 mac book air's do not have the shared digital out/headphone mini jack. I went through hours of research months ago. I also purchased every cable available to try and make it happen

from apple page

macpro - audio line in minijack (digital/analog), audio line out/headphone minijack (digital/analog)

macbook air - Headphone port

I did discover that the monoprice cable was fine when plugged into my av receiver with hdmi in. I was able to get dts/dd from my mkv bluray rips. my problem was the my older receiver had no hdmi in. I ended up just purchasing a mini and use it as my dedicated htpc.
post #6 of 6 Old 06-18-2012, 02:29 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
What happens if I use a Mini with 2 displays? One, a TV (trough an AV Receiver) and the other one a projector?

How shoud I connect in order to get a digital surround sound from mkvs, to the receiver, and also to the projector.

Right now I use an old receiver without hdmi ports, connected to a MacBook via optical toslink to 3.5 jack, and I am able to watch TV (with sound from the TV speakers), but listen to music from the MacBook at the same time, because one input it's the audio from the MacBook, and another input it's the audio from the TV (cable box).

If I will get a new receiver with hdmi, when I will connect the Mini to it, I will still be able to listen to music and meanwhile whatch cable box on the TV (with sound from its speakers)?

And what should I connect to the Receiver? The HDMI or the Mini display port?
The projector has 2 hdmi in an audio out for a set of speakers.

So, if I will send audio out from the Mini to the receiver, I will get DTS and DD, and select TV input but also listen to music from the Mini?

My guess it's NOT, because one input would be the hdmi from the Mini, and another input would be the hdmi from the cable box. If I will switch the inputs, the receiver will change image and sound also.

Another option would be to get optical out from the mini via the headphone jack with a toslink cable, but I heard that this doesn't work when you use the hdmi out from the Mini, because the sound goes trough the hdmi.

Any sugestions?
Reply HTPC - Mac Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page