bluray mkv rips and jutter,stutter with different players - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 03-31-2012, 10:08 AM - Thread Starter
guf

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have been experimenting with different players and getting different results. I mostly use plex with a minimal amount of problems. Last night I watched Hachi with not problems and next started Enter the dragon. the second movie stuttered and juttered or whatever. I tried different players, xbmc and it was the same result. then vlc and it was much better but then there were artifacts regularly. and i also switched the mini to output 60hz and seemed to be the best combination.
And then of course playback on my computer monitor is perfect.
I'm on a 2011 2.3 mini on a wired network.

what could be some of the possible problems?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-31-2012, 10:38 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

what could be some of the possible problems?

My vote would be the one thing you haven't mentioned at all: your display. What model, how you're connected to it (HDMI?) and how you've set it up in its menu. HDTVs aren't dumb displays anymore, there's lots of little settings that can potentially interfere with a good picture if you're not careful.

I also suggest you read up on what stutter and "jutter" and artifacts actually mean, so you might be able to do a better job of describing what it is you think you're seeing.

There are different versions of the various players you mention, as in if XBMC-do you have Dharma or Eden, and each has different ways to turn on graphics assist or hardware acceleration for bluray content, so perhaps you might mention what you're using, what your settings are, etc. (I have the same 2011 Mini, the 2.3, and I find that XBMC can play back all of my MakeMKV rips without any hardware acceleration.)

Do you have 'Adjust display refresh rate to match video' turned on? Do you have 'Sync playback to display' turned on? With certain types of HDTV, these can make a difference.

Disconnect your "computer monitor" and just connect to your HDTV when you test this stuff.

Are these your own rips done with MakeMKV? Do they have the high def audio tracks included and are those what you're trying to play back?

As you can see, there are lots of little variables and it isn't easy to troubleshoot.
post #3 of 6 Old 03-31-2012, 01:06 PM - Thread Starter
guf

Thanks for the list of variables and possible problems.

I have a Panasonic vt30. connected hdmi with my dedicated htpc mini. I store my media on a home made "mac pro" i do my all my own rips with makemkv. that computer has a 27inch apple cinema display. i used a wired network.

the thing that I wonder is why most of the movies play with little or no problem in plex, I set the mini to 24fps and on my ty set the refresh rate to 48. I did spend hours trying different combinations of settings...of hardware acceleration, auto refresh and such. with plex(9) and xbmc (eden)but not in a systematic way. sorry for my incorrect or generic use of the playback issues. (is there a link for the definitions) It's not the occasional flaw. It was constant. not when panning.

the only thing i was wonder is if i had accidentally checked the high def dolby track because that would cause a problem right?
thanks again for your help
post #4 of 6 Old 03-31-2012, 01:31 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
so, next I'd rule out any network issues, just work with test files on your mini and take both the "home-made mac pro," whatever the that is, and your network, out of the equation. Just the mini and hdmi to your TV, just MakeMKV rips with DD 5.1 or DTS, no HD audio. I have a feeling your rips are fine, that your issue is almost certainly display related, i.e. what your display is doing to the signal it's getting from the software player on your Mac.

I have no experience with plasmas, so investigate what kind of processing it applies, what its refresh rate settings do or don't do, perhaps find the thread here at AVS on your model and read through it? Odds are someone with that same model has an HTPC connected to it and may have gone through the same things you have.

Look in the Plex and XBMC forums as well.

But, I don't understand what this means:

Quote:

the thing that I wonder is why most of the movies play with little or no problem in plex

are you not having this problem with all content? If you're only really having an occasional issue with odd titles, well, chalk that up to those odd titles and investigate how those were encoded, what video format they are, etc.
post #5 of 6 Old 03-31-2012, 07:21 PM - Thread Starter
guf

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefklc View Post

But, I don't understand what this means:
are you not having this problem with all content? If you're only really having an occasional issue with odd titles, well, chalk that up to those odd titles and investigate how those were encoded, what video format they are, etc.

No. just that one movie and then playing it today it seems much better. the inconsistency is what messing with me. thank you for taking the time to answer my questions.
and btw the mac pro is a hackintosh. just a tower that i'm easily able to store hard drives.
post #6 of 6 Old 04-02-2012, 02:07 AM

Liked: 11
I have a Mac Mini 2009, Core 2 Duo 2.66GHz, 4GB RAM, with NVIDIA GeForce 9400 video card, running Mac OS X 10.6.8.
It is connected to a Sony VPL-VW100 video-projector, through a mini display-port -> HDMI adapter, with resolution 1920 x 1080p @ 60 Hz.

This configuration is barely able to play-back HD, including Blu-ray and mkv :
Plex works mostly OK (but I hate Plex interface...);
MacGo Blu-ray Player for Mac is OK (but it does not support Blu-ray menus);
Apple DVD Player is KO;
I have not tested VLC.
Reply HTPC - Mac Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page