Resolution Resets on MacMini - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2012, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
kornface13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey Everyone. I've been messing around with HTPCs for years so I thought I was pretty good at this....however I've recently run across a problem that I cannot solve for the life of me. I bought a new MacMini about three months ago. Base model. It works like a dream for everything EXCEPT one critical piece. 96% of the time, when I turn on the TV, the resolution on the Mini resets to 800x600. I have a newish (2011) Samsung 48" LCD. When the TV turns on, it sees the Mini connected at 1960x1080, but then the screen goes entirely blue, and comes back on at 800x600. I have to reset the resolution back to 1080p every single time. I've tried everything I can think of. This was never an issue with my ATV2 or any of my Windows HTPCs on this same TV. If I turn the TV off and back on within a short period of time, it keeps the 1080p resolution. It's only after an extended period of time that it messes up. The Mac is set to never sleep and never turn off the screen.

I've read about this forever and I can't seem to find much information. Noone seems to be having the exact same problem. I bought SwitchResX, but there's 98,000 options in there. I tried turning off every single resolution except 1080p, but that still didn't solve anything. Beyond that, I don't know what to try, so this seems like it was a waste of money.

The next step is to buy the Gefen HDMI detective I guess, but I wanted to see if anyone has any other ideas before I give that a shot. Anyone have any ideas??
kornface13 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-06-2012, 06:42 PM
g4s
Senior Member
 
g4s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: St. Charles, MO
Posts: 221
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by kornface13 View Post

Hey Everyone. I've been messing around with HTPCs for years so I thought I was pretty good at this....however I've recently run across a problem that I cannot solve for the life of me. I bought a new MacMini about three months ago. Base model. It works like a dream for everything EXCEPT one critical piece. 96% of the time, when I turn on the TV, the resolution on the Mini resets to 800x600. I have a newish (2011) Samsung 48" LCD. When the TV turns on, it sees the Mini connected at 1960x1080, but then the screen goes entirely blue, and comes back on at 800x600. I have to reset the resolution back to 1080p every single time. I've tried everything I can think of. This was never an issue with my ATV2 or any of my Windows HTPCs on this same TV. If I turn the TV off and back on within a short period of time, it keeps the 1080p resolution. It's only after an extended period of time that it messes up. The Mac is set to never sleep and never turn off the screen.

I've read about this forever and I can't seem to find much information. Noone seems to be having the exact same problem. I bought SwitchResX, but there's 98,000 options in there. I tried turning off every single resolution except 1080p, but that still didn't solve anything. Beyond that, I don't know what to try, so this seems like it was a waste of money.

The next step is to buy the Gefen HDMI detective I guess, but I wanted to see if anyone has any other ideas before I give that a shot. Anyone have any ideas??

One thing you can check is that the CEC control on your TV is turned off. That's a setting that allows devices that are connected by HDMI to communicate. For example, it can switch the input on your TV when you turn on your Blu-ray player and other things. But I've read it can cause strange problems sometimes.

Worth checking.
g4s is offline  
Old 04-07-2012, 01:37 AM
Senior Member
 
geeji's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 338
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
You should check that the problem does not occur if you turn your TV on first, THEN power on the Mac Mini.
If it is then OK, and you still want to switch OFF/ON your TV without switching OFF/OFF the Mac Mini, I am afraid Gefen DVI Detective Plus is the optimal solution.
geeji is offline  
Old 04-07-2012, 09:05 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
kornface13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by g4s View Post

One thing you can check is that the CEC control on your TV is turned off. That's a setting that allows devices that are connected by HDMI to communicate. For example, it can switch the input on your TV when you turn on your Blu-ray player and other things. But I've read it can cause strange problems sometimes.

Worth checking.

That's actually the last thing I did. Turned off Samsung's Anynet+ CEC deal. I was pumped when I realized it was on, because I thought for sure that was it. No bueno though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeji View Post

You should check that the problem does not occur if you turn your TV on first, THEN power on the Mac Mini.
If it is then OK, and you still want to switch OFF/ON your TV without switching OFF/OFF the Mac Mini, I am afraid Gefen DVI Detective Plus is the optimal solution.

I never power off the Mac Mini, so this isn't really an option. I ordered the HDMI detective yesterday from Amazon. I'm ready to be done with this issue forever!
kornface13 is offline  
Old 04-09-2012, 12:27 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Phantom Gremlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Tualatin Oregon
Posts: 1,407
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kornface13 View Post

I never power off the Mac Mini, so this isn't really an option. I ordered the HDMI detective yesterday from Amazon. I'm ready to be done with this issue forever!

After you get it, please get back to us and confirm that it solves your problem. If it doesn't, perhaps Dr HDMI will do the trick. Warning, I have no personal experience with that product, for all I know they will take your money and ship you a pet rock!
Phantom Gremlin is offline  
Old 04-11-2012, 05:57 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
kornface13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well the Gefen HDMI detective did the trick. Resolution is correct everytime I turn on the TV now. FINALLY!
kornface13 is offline  
 
Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off