Can I use a Intel Mac Mini as my HTPC - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 31 Old 04-23-2012, 01:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm looking at using a Intel GPU based Mac Mini to use as a HTPC. It would be connected to my Onkyo RC-260 receiver. Would I be able to playback my Blu-Ray rips with lossless audio and good video playback.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 04-23-2012, 03:02 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Best I can say is maybe, unless you are a little more specific: there have been a lot of different Intel Mac Minis released since 2006, most of them cannot play back a full-size blu-ray rip perfectly, plus blu-rays have different types of lossless audio, of which only LPCM can be passed in OS X. Most of us running OS X on our HTPCs here rip with MakeMKV and play back the core DD/DTS audio rather than the lossless audio track.

My 2011 mini, the cheapest model, plays blu-ray rips back perfectly in XBMC. So if you are considering a 2011 model, or waiting for an update, you'll be fine, at least video-wise.
post #3 of 31 Old 04-24-2012, 09:59 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefklc View Post

Best I can say is maybe, unless you are a little more specific: there have been a lot of different Intel Mac Minis released since 2006, most of them cannot play back a full-size blu-ray rip perfectly, plus blu-rays have different types of lossless audio, of which only LPCM can be passed in OS X. Most of us running OS X on our HTPCs here rip with MakeMKV and play back the core DD/DTS audio rather than the lossless audio track.

My 2011 mini, the cheapest model, plays blu-ray rips back perfectly in XBMC. So if you are considering a 2011 model, or waiting for an update, you'll be fine, at least video-wise.

Sorry I was planning on getting a brand new 2011 Mac Mini. Is their a workaround for the audio problem. Does the core sound a lot different then the loseless track. Would it be possible to convert the lossless track to FLAC and play them back.
post #4 of 31 Old 04-24-2012, 11:38 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

Is there a workaround for the audio problem. Does the core sound a lot different then the loseless track.

First you have to identify if there even is a problem, i.e. using your equipment in your theater can you reliably detect a difference between the lossless audio track and the extracted core audio when the audio is level-matched AND you don't know which track you're listening to. Me, personally, I think the core audio that MakeMKV extracts when played back by XBMC is almost uniformly excellent...excellent enough that I'm not willing to consider moving off OS X to Windows or Linux, nor willing to give up the convenience of accessing all my movies with a few button presses on any device anywhere in the house.

Quote:

Would it be possible to convert the lossless track to FLAC and play them back.

There was a thread about this a few months ago, so look back for it; what some have done is take the lossless TrueHD/DTS-MA/DTS-HD tracks (which can't be played back or bit streamed in OS X) and convert them to LPCM, which Plex and XBMC can handle. The conversion involves Windows software, which was enough for me to disqualify it, but there is at least that workaround if you're a cross platform guy.
post #5 of 31 Old 04-26-2012, 09:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I have a late 2009 mini, and have played BD directly from a USB BR drive. I also run Windows 7, not OSX. It should be noted, my AVR is too old for HD audio. Heck, I use AnyDVD HD and MPC to play the disc, and seems to work fine.

Video has never been issue unless I'm trying to watch something on media center and video form say the web. Media center tends to be a bit of a resource hog.

No issue with rips. When I have, it's usually the rip. Other times, it's the player not setup right for the codec. My rips are stored on USB external HDD that is attached to another machine. The machine is wired to the router, but the HTPC is wireless and I rarely have an issue with buffering.

The biggest issue will more than likely be your audio, but other have already commented on it.
post #6 of 31 Old 05-11-2012, 08:59 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Overall surround sound support is not as robust in Mac OS as it is in Windows 7 and playing lossless audio involves reencoding. Not my cup of tea, at this point I really don't like to mess around with my content, I just want to watch it with minimum hassle.

However, for myself, I hear very little difference between lossless audio and core lossy DTS or DD and I have a relatively decent dedicated HT room. A lot depends on how good your audio gear is. IMHO, for good HT experience, proper sound calibration and room acoustics are FAR, FAR more important than lossless vs lossy.

Overall IMHO Mac OSX is not as robust for HT purposes as Windows 7 but at the same time if you are an exclusive Mac user at home then it makes no sense to introduce a Windows box.
post #7 of 31 Old 05-13-2012, 07:09 PM

I have a 2.5GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 with Radeon HD 6630M graphics coming on Wednesday. Been busy ripping Blu-rays using MakeMKV and Handbrake. Using the DTS passthrough for audio, sure hope it works when hooked up to the SR707 AVR using HDMI.
post #8 of 31 Old 05-15-2012, 09:38 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 29

I currently use a custom built / modified 2011 Mac mini with very good results as my HTPC. It is the centralized media gateway for Live TV, DVR, Movies and Music. I encode everything with Handbrake to H.264 files in 720p for comedy and romance, and 1080p for action and sci-fi. I use bootcamp and leave the system on 24/7. Below are the complete configuration, settings and links.

Tuner Configuration
SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime-6CC-3X2
Signal Strength: 99-100% (-0.1db - 4.8db)
Signal Quality: 100% (34db - 36db)
Symbol Quality: 100%

Netgear ProSafe 10/100/1000 Switch
Motorola Signal Booster 2-Port BDA-S2
F-Type 75 ohm Terminators (on all open ports, bulkheads, etc. to reduce interference from LTE signals)
Quad Shielded RG6 coaxial cables (to reduce interference from LTE signals)

Apple Mac Mini HTPC Configuration
2011 Mac mini 2.7GHz Dual-Core Intel i7
8GB 1866MHz Kingston Hyper X
512GB Samsung 830 SSD
1TB Western Digital Scorpio Blue 5400RPM

Logitech diNovo Mini
http://www.logitech.com/en-us/keyboa...WT.srch=1&ci=0

Microsoft Windows 7 HTPC Configuration
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit (on Samsung 830)
AHCI enabled
Disable Hibernate
Disable Sleep
Control Panel > Power Options > Balanced
Control Panel > Power Options > Change plan settings > Change advanced power settings
> Hard disk > Turn off hard disk after - 20 minutes
> PCI Express > Link State Power Management - Maximum power savings

Broadcom NetExtreme Gigabit Ethernet:
All Offload options disabled
Rx & Tx Flow Control enabled
802.11az EEE disabled

Microsoft Security Essentials:
Excluded D:\\Recorded TV
Excluded .wtv files
Excluded ehshell.exe; ehSched.exe; ehRecvr.exe

Windows Media Center:
Tuner Salad for up to 12 tuners (currently use 6 tuners)
Media Browser & Neo Theme
Channel Logos

Scheduled Tasks:
Weekly restart of the HTPC (shutdown /r /f /t 0)
Weekly restart of SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime ("C:\\Program Files\\Silicondust\\HDHomeRun\\hdhomerun_config.exe" {tuner ID here} set /sys/restart self)

Two (2) Xbox 360 Slim 4GB extenders
Logitech Harmony One
http://www.logitech.com/en-us/remote...iversal-remote

Links
Enabling AHCI for Windows on 2011 Macs:
http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/fo...1-now-possible

Tuner Salad:
http://mychannellogos.com/TunerSalad.aspx

Microsoft Windows 7 How-To Schedule A Tasks:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...chedule-a-task

Microsoft Windows 7 How-To Disable / Enable Hibernate:
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...e-disable.html

post #9 of 31 Old 05-16-2012, 09:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortcut3d View Post

Below are the complete configuration, settings and links.

Thanks for posting this. Always good to have reports from people who have successfully navigated past the shoals.

Do you think you really needed to get the BTO Intel i7, and do you think you needed an SSD for the system? Or were those "better safe than sorry" choices?
post #10 of 31 Old 05-17-2012, 01:12 AM

Liked: 11
I use a similar configuration to shortcut3d, running fully under OS X Lion :

Apple Mac Mini HTPC Configuration
2011 Mac mini 2.7GHz Dual-Core Intel i7 (w/ AMD Radeon HD 6630M)
8 GB of RAM (2 x 4 GB Patriot Signature SODIMM DDR3 - PC10600 1333)
480 GB SSD OCZ Agility 3
"BTO" internal SuperDrive (Sony Optiarc AD-5960S)
LG BP06LU10 external USB Blu-ray / DVD burner

Tuner
Elgato Diversity

Software
EyeTV 3.5.4
MacGo Blu-ray player for Mac

IT SCREAMS !

Going back to your question : is all of that really needed ?
You definitely want the AMD Radeon HD 6630M graphic card.
The need for the fastest CPU depends mostly on HD programs playback : EyeTV and similar programs, especially when you activate the "Progressive scan" option, are CPU hogs.
The more headroom you have, the less likely you are to suffer from skipped frames.
post #11 of 31 Old 05-17-2012, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Gremlin View Post

Thanks for posting this. Always good to have reports from people who have successfully navigated past the shoals.

Do you think you really needed to get the BTO Intel i7, and do you think you needed an SSD for the system? Or were those "better safe than sorry" choices?

I just upgraded to the SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime 6CC-3X2 and its a very nice piece of hardware.

Any of the mid-2011 (current) Mac mini lineup are capable of being a HTPC.

The Intel HD 3000 integrated graphics are very bad at the 29/59 frame rate issue. The AMD 6630M GPU in the mid-range model is significantly better. If you are sensitive to frame rate, neither will work. Both get hot when dealing with 29/59 frame rate content. Otherwise the system is ice cold and quiet.

http://www.silicondust.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11737

You will need more CPU power for extenders, media browser, channel logos, etc. to keep the experience fluid. However, the 2.7GHz Dual-Core Intel i7 is overkill.

The SSD is great for booting and the Media Browser cache. The system restart is almost as fast as the cable company DVR. Another reason for the CPU power is restart / boot speed.
post #12 of 31 Old 05-18-2012, 09:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for that pointer. It's unfortunate that this stuff is, in 2012, still "rocket science".

I think the current Mac Mini will soon be replaced, so rather than buying now it might make more sense to see what Apple comes up with.

In the larger perspective, I can see why Apple is rumored to be developing an Apple television. Presumably it could solve problems like that. Unfortunately I don't think it will, I don't think it will even have DVR capability, and therefore I don't think it will be a commercial success.
post #13 of 31 Old 05-30-2012, 03:32 AM

Liked: 13
I think using a mac mini for htpc is one of the most common uses. I used to use mine in os x with the apple remote and the program "remote buddy" but lately I've been using bootcamp to boot to windows because xbmc has hardware video decoding of VC1 in windows, but not os x. Also, there's a lossless hd audio bitstreaming version of xbmc for windows. I don't think lossless hd audio bitstreaming is coming to official xbmc until 12.0 comes out

Gear list: Main setup - Kef Q900, Svs sb12-nsd subwoofer, onkyo 609 receiver, epson 8350 projector, elitescreens sable 92" screen, mac mini htpc
bedroom setup: PSB Image B5, maverick tubemagic a1 amplifier, hifimediy sabre9023 dac, ZMF Fostex T50RP modded headphones
preordered gear: Light Harmonic Geek Pulse X dac and headphone amp
post #14 of 31 Old 05-30-2012, 01:54 PM

I updated post #8 to include the remotes I use and how I've dealt with LTE interference.
post #15 of 31 Old 06-20-2012, 03:35 AM

Now I use a MacBook hoohed up to an old Av Receiver via toslink, and I can watch TV and at the same time listen to iTunes.

The TV it's connected to the receiver only with audio only, so when I change the receiver inputs, I change only the sound inputs, between TV and MacBook.

If I will get a new Av Receiver, with HDMI, this won't be possible anymore, right?

I mean when I will want to watch TV, I will change to the TV input from the receiver, and I will get audio and video also.

What about when I will want to listen to iTunes?
The receiver will change to what input? Because the MacBook will be connected via optical toslink to the receiver, so what video I will get?

If I will use an iMac, and I will connect it via HDMI (micro display port - hdmi adapter) I think that when I will want to listen to iTunes I will have to change to the HDMI input that I connected the iMac to, so I will get the video from the iMac also.

The sound that you get with a mdp-hdmi adapter, it's 5.1 or just stereo? Can I use the video from the micro display port, but the sound from the toslink cable?

It would be perfect if I could watch TV, but get the sound from the toslink if I want to listen iTunes at the same time.

I understood that if I use a Mini, and not an iMac, and I connect it to the receiver via the HDMI, I get no sound trough the toslink. In that case when I would want to listen to iTunes I will Get on the TV the image from the Mini.
post #16 of 31 Old 06-26-2012, 06:04 AM

Liked: 12
Is there an issue of fan noise when the Mini is used in a HTPC setting? Since I'm running EyeTV very successfully on a MBP (wife wants it back) running Snow Leopard (stuttering problems with Lion, I hear) I'm looking to replace it with the 2010 version of the Mini. So what about fan noise?
post #17 of 31 Old 06-26-2012, 07:05 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 15
I have a Late 2009 mini in my HT. I've never measured the dB at my chair, though I can hear it if I try. I also run two (adjustable-speed = adjustable dB) fans on top of my Onkyo 805. However, neither interferes with my movie or music enjoyment, even in quiet spots. YMMV.

If more of us valued food and cheer above hoarded gold, it would be a much merrier world.

post #18 of 31 Old 06-26-2012, 08:41 AM

Thanks. Some have reported that the fan noise is low at rest, but that when the Mini is stressed it can get a lot louder. Ever heard that?
post #19 of 31 Old 06-26-2012, 04:25 PM
AVS Club Gold

I've not experienced the mini doing that, but my Late 2011 MacBook Pro sure does when using software like EarthBrowser (great app, btw) and fast-forwarding through a couple days' worth of data.

If more of us valued food and cheer above hoarded gold, it would be a much merrier world.

post #20 of 31 Old 06-27-2012, 11:58 AM

Thanks. Here's another question. Is it possible to 'downgrade' to Snow Leopard on one of the current Mini's (running Lion)?
post #21 of 31 Old 06-29-2012, 07:34 AM
Advanced Member

I have a late 2009 Mini, and the they only noise I've ever heard is the HDD and optical drive. You might hear the fan if everything is off so the room is quite.

As for downgrading, I assume it's possible. You may have to buy it though. Remember, the OEM OS disc are specific to your model mac. Thus, if you wanted to just "borrow" a SL disc, you'll need to find one for your specific model Mini. Since you have EyeTV already, I would try it first before going through the hoops of downgrading. Others may not have the system setup correctly, which may be why EyeTV isn't running well.
post #22 of 31 Old 06-29-2012, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gring40 View Post

Thanks. Here's another question. Is it possible to 'downgrade' to Snow Leopard on one of the current Mini's (running Lion)?
If the Mini shipped with Lion on it, you can not downgrade. There are required drivers in Lion that don't exist in Snow Leopard for the machine.

post #23 of 31 Old 06-29-2012, 08:11 AM
AVS Club Gold

I do not dispute your claim, but just for clarity, my Late 2009 mini shipped with a Leopard version (I believe it was 10.5, though I do not remember for sure and the discs are in the box in storage), and I have downgraded several times to 10.5, and to 10.6, and then back to 10.7.
Before I read your post, I assumed that when I finally do upgrade to a newer mini, if I wanted to, I could just start up holding down command + r, open Disc Utilities and ERASE/FORMAT the drive and install any OS I want via a Firewire external drive. It's really too bad if that's not possible.

post #24 of 31 Old 06-29-2012, 11:28 AM

Yes, you can downgrade the 2011 Mac mini to OSX 10.6 Snow Leopard. Check the MacRumors Forums for information on the downgrade.

The 2011 Mac mini's are very quite as a HTPC. They have no problem decoding 1080p and keeping the fan speed at the lowest level (1800RPM). They do heat up when dealing with the 29/59 frame rate issue in WMC Live TV. Either way they are far more quite than the Xbox 360 Slim. Gaming and other tasks such as encoding will cause the fan speed to increase and they will be flat out loud. However, normal HTPC duties such as WMC, Live TV, recording, Media Browser will not create any problems.
post #25 of 31 Old 06-29-2012, 04:57 PM

Thanks for all the advice about the Mini's fan sounds and also the possibility of 'downgrading' a 2011 Lion Mini to Snow Leopard. I did go to the MacRumors forum and read about doing that, but will probably avoid it if I can.
post #26 of 31 Old 07-05-2012, 03:31 PM

So I bought a used 2010 2.4 gHz Mini on eBay to use as my HTPC, with the usual 320 gig drive, GeForce 320m, and 2gb of RAM; very clean and seems to check out fine (if 2gb is enough?).

Seller advised me to do a fresh install by rebooting with the installation disk, pressing 'c' during boot up. What is gained by this, and do I need to do it?
post #27 of 31 Old 07-06-2012, 07:56 AM
Advanced Member

gets rid of all the crap that may be on the disc. You don't need programs and drivers that you're not going to use.

Don't forget to clear the partition and reformat the drive.
post #28 of 31 Old 07-07-2012, 10:33 AM
AVS Club Gold

I would clean-erase the drive via Disc Utility (zeros at least one-pass), then do the reformat & system install. Of course, I'm a bit anal about these things.

post #29 of 31 Old 07-11-2012, 06:25 AM

I see the benefits of a fresh install, but worry that since I have only a HDMI connection to my LCD TV (as a monitor), I won't be able to see what is happening, and will trash the OS installation. Will it work this way, or do I need to do it on a VGA or DVI computer monitor (using a MDP-to-VGA or DVI adapter)?
post #30 of 31 Old 07-11-2012, 08:16 AM
AVS Club Gold

ADDED EDIT: Just to cover the bases - reformatting will remove anything on the disk. Be sure to back up anything you cannot part with!

Others here may have other ideas, but a cable-attached monitor would be my preference.

However, if the mini has Lion OS, you can 1st try starting up while holding down the COMMAND and R keys. You will start up from the online Lion Recovery site. If you can see it on your TV, you're good to go. Just access Disc Utilities on the Lion Recovery site to reformat the drive (and erase it securely if you want to). Once the reformat is complete, quit Disc Utilities which will return you to the main page, select Reinstall Lion and pick your poison.

If you cannot see the online Lion Recovery site on your TV, you'll just need to shut down the mini. While holding down the CONTROL and OPTION and COMMAND keys, hit the EJECT key. Wait 30-seconds or so. If that doesn't shut down the mini, pull the power plug.

I just attempted the online Lion start up via my Late 2009 mini(no HDMI out) ->miniDisplayPort->Kanex HDMI Adapter->HDMI->Sony 52"LCD. I had no problems.

Note that you can also create a Lion install disk image on a USB thumb drive:

Lion Install Thumb google

Reply HTPC - Mac Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page