Poll: Lion & EyeTV - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: EyeTV users - are you running Lion and are you having problems?
I run Lion and am not experiencing any new EyeTV issues 0 0%
I run Lion and am experiencing video stuttering problems 0 0%
I run Lion and am experiencing audio synch problems 0 0%
I run (Snow) Leopard and intend to upgrade to Lion 0 0%
I run (Snow) Leopard and will never upgrade if I can help it 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 04-26-2012, 08:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have postponed going with my HT MacPro to Lion and then from MobileMe to iCloud for as long as possible, but I feel that I have to bite the bullet and do it now. I just want to find out how widespread the Lion/EyeTV stuttering/audio synch issues are.

Please do post to elaborate on your poll answer -- do you use digital audio out or system audio out, what type of Mac are you using, etc.

Note that the poll is multiple choice to allow for multiple Macs/problems.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 04-26-2012, 09:03 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
No problem with the latest EyeTV on Lion. My config
mac mini core 2 duo hdmi -> Onkyo TX-SR605 (hdmi) -> Sharp Aquos (hdmi).
Audio output set to HDMI (digital).
I have 2 HDHomerun (one old dual tuner and one new dual tuner one) for a total of 4 tuners using ATSC.
I get Dolby 5.1 from HD channels without any video or audio issue.

Rodolphe
post #3 of 9 Old 04-26-2012, 12:16 PM

I have the video stuttering issue without the special line of code to fix it. Fixing it, for me, doesn't cause the audio delay people complain about though. I use Optical Digital out via TOSLINK (I think thats what its called) to my stereo and HDMI to my Sony HD CRT TV (all 200lbs of it).

The hardware feed into EyeTV (though that doesn't seem to be a factor) is a HDHomerun.

post #4 of 9 Old 04-26-2012, 04:29 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I didn't vote because I gave up using EyeTV for playback last Summer when I got a 2011 Mini and was forced to start using Lion, since XBMC played all my EyeTV recordings back perfectly that's what I've stayed with since...never a problem with stuttering or digital audio.

I don't ever watch live TV with EyeTV, and only use it to record--in that respect, EyeTV is recording just fine in Lion. Once El Gato shut down their discussion forum I couldn't be bothered to try to help fix their problems for them, and haven't revisited the issue since.

By the way, I wouldn't have upgraded to Lion so quickly, normally I'm one of the last to upgrade since once I get things working well in the home theater I tend not to upgrade anything, and I planned to hold out on MobileMe for as long as I could, but in retrospect I'm glad I was forced onto Lion so quickly...getting on iCloud early, syncing and backing up our iOS devices to iCloud has been great, and it was wonderful to turn on our iPad 3, tell it to restore from an iCloud backup of our iPad 2, and then have everything there. Once Apple fixed the previously-not being-able-to-delete-photos from Photo Stream problem, that was the last of the little un-Apple-like things that bothered me. It's also very nice having Photo Stream on an Apple TV as well, so every picture we take with our iPhones is just automagically there on the HDTV for viewing.
post #5 of 9 Old 04-27-2012, 01:02 PM

Liked: 12
Running SL on a MacBook Pro C2D, 2 EyeTV 250+ tuners, ETV3 for recording & playback, VGA and analog audio out to TV, stuttering solved by boosting video input with a PCT amp.

Will not upgrade to Lion because it ain't broke now.
post #6 of 9 Old 04-28-2012, 09:58 AM

Voted no new issues. However I still have blank recordings and a need to force quit eyetv often. Playback is fine on my early 2009 mac mini running 10.7.3. I had some sharing issues previously but found a bad ethernet switch. My advice is direct connect devices as a troubleshooting method. Only the eyetv video streams had problems with my bad switch. UDP doesn't retransmit so it seems like playback problems.
post #7 of 9 Old 04-28-2012, 11:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Well I upgraded my 2009 quad-core, MacPro to 10.7.3 and it joins my maxed out 2011 MacMini in stuttering/lip-synch issues with EyeTV. Both are using internal sources -- an SSD in the case of the Mini, and of course the MacPro was working flawlessly under Snow Leopard. Urgh. Pro/Mini connected to different receivers/monitors (different rooms). And of course XBMC playback is fine.
post #8 of 9 Old 04-29-2012, 11:50 AM
AVS Special Member

I don't really have any new EyeTV issues, but like Trode, I do have to force quit once in a while. It's usually after it's been running several days and I've been recording/capturing a lot of material over that time.

On my 2007 Macbook Pro, I use EyeTV with an EyeTV 500 to record probably 10 hours a week of HD programming. I edit out the commercials and then compact the files. I then add the files I want to keep to the Elgato Turbo.HD and convert to 720p for later playback on my iPad and/or Apple TV after adding them to iTunes. I never watch anything on the Macbook Pro and do my editing/compacting using screen sharing.

On my 2010 Mac Mini, I use EyeTV to capture over-the-air HD files from my Dish satellite DVR using my Hauppauge! HDPVR. Again, I edit out the commercials in the files I want to keep. Because the 720p files captured by the Hauppauge! are playable on my Apple TV and iPad, I simply export them, usually with the Dolby Digital 5.1 soundtrack, but AAC if there's only a stereo track. I also watch one show, 30 Rock, that is recorded on the Macbook Pro and copied to my Mac Mini for viewing.

In both cases, I occasionally have audio sync problems during conversion, but mostly when there's a problem with the source material, e.g. files captured with either device during rain storms. This problem also occurred under Snow Leopard, Leopard and Tiger because you can't really correct bad source material.

Dennis

Dennis Whiteman
Check out HDTVOK.COM
post #9 of 9 Old 05-17-2012, 10:14 AM

Liked: 12
I don't have any new issues on Lion -- well that's not really true. I have had to force quit EyeTV now and again and never had to do that before. I do occasionally get a zero length recording every now and again, but that used to happen on Snow Leopard as well (Lion used to do that as well, if memory serves).

I have two different setups. First, iMac 27" (Late 2009, Intel Quad-Core i7, 2.8 GHz, 16 GB, ATI Radeon HD 4850 512MB). Second, Mac Mini (Mid 2010, Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.4 GHz, 4 GB, NVIDIA GeForce 320M) connected to HDTV via HDMI. Each setup has two USB tuners and is running Lion 10.7.4.

I'm running the Mac Mini at 720p and letting the TV upscale the image. It looks good. I used to run at 1080p but all the Mac's text is just too small to read at the resolution.

I used to have image stuttering issues when I used a Mac Mini mid-2007 (Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.0 GHz, 3 GB RAM, Intel GMA 950). But that machine just didn't seem to have the horsepower: either cpu or graphics to drive an image to an HDTV at 720p.

I've read somewhere on this forum that sports playback is very demanding and I've found that to be true. I saved a clip from the 2010 NBA finals and found the Mac Mini mid-2007 just couldn't render the image smoothly. This clip on the Mac Mini mid-2010 renders more smoothly -- I can't say it's perfect but it does look better.

I know more about this stuff than I should.
Reply HTPC - Mac Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page