Hauppauge HDPVR -> iTunes without transcoding? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 05-08-2012, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have EyeTV and a Hauppauge HD-PVR 1212. It seems that most of the HD channels I receive are 1080i. What I'd like to do, and part of the reason I bought the HD-PVR, would be to repackage the mpg program stream as an mp4, since the video is already H.264.

Eventually I'd like to automate this, but currently in all my manual attempts I've had some trouble getting the re-muxed files to open in iTunes. When I drop them on the app, nothing happens. They play in Quicktime Player, however.

Has anyone had any success in doing this? I'd like to avoid transcoding with something like Handbrake, since it's a slow process and in theory iTunes.

I've tried a number of different techniques for the remux, the easiest right now is to use EyeTV's Export to h.264, which repackages it as an MP4, but that doesn't seem to work.

Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 05-11-2012, 08:09 AM
AVS Special Member

I have my Dish receiver set to output 720p and then I record using the Hauppauge! component inputs in EyeTV. After the recording is finished, I use export in EyeTV to save as a 720p h.264 file without transcoding. I have had a problem where the files would not import into my iPad without transcoding, but since I'm mostly doing it for my Apple TVs, it's not a problem because they play fine. I'm sure if I had a newer iPad even that wouldn't be a problem. The main issue is that EyeTV doesn't save both an AAC track and an AC3 track so the ones with AC3 tracks are only playable in iTunes and on my Apple TVs. If I think I'll want to transfer it to my phone or for an older movie, I'll use the export that saves an AAC track.

Dennis

Dennis Whiteman
Check out HDTVOK.COM
post #3 of 3 Old 06-17-2012, 11:40 PM - Thread Starter

thanks! I managed to find the switch on my comcast box to force 720p output, which seems to do the trick. For whatever reason iTunes doesn't like 1080i.

I've a convoluted script that uses FFMPEG, Mp4Box and Subler to create a file for iTunes. It doesn't work 100% of the time, but it's close. If I get it working more consistently I'll share it!
Reply HTPC - Mac Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page