Eye TV & HD HomeRun - What Does Elgato Look For To Find These IPTV Tuners ? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 05-09-2012, 09:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
All

Got a good one for any one that likes a challenge.

I am a long time user of the Eye TV & HD Homeruns and love the setup. However I have a configuration change I need to make with cascaded routers and even though I can ping the Homeruns on the new subnet by IP and even by host name, Eye TV tells me it cannot find them. Return them to the old subnet (same one that the Mac running EyeTV is on) and bingo !

So just wondering what is it that EyeTV looks for to identify these that seemingly is not being passed across the cascaded network, any ideas ?

Thanks as always

WC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 05-09-2012, 10:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
EyeTV uses libhdhomerun directly and the discover function sends broadcast packet which by definition are only send to the broadcast address of the subnet where the Mac is.
To be able to discover HDHomeRun in other subnet you would need to forward the broadcast packet (similar to what is done with ip address helper for DHCP when you need to pxe from one subnet to another).
If you have multiple subnet to traverse this become even more complicated and require some more networking fiddling and a basic router can't probably deal with this.

Rodolphe
Reply HTPC - Mac Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page