Get my EyeTV3 recordings into iTunes automatically?!? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 05-11-2012, 05:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
While an ETV3 software Export to iPod or Apple TV format can be set up -

- or - alternatively one can simply open the .eyetv package file and copy the .M4V files to another location...

BOTH of these approaches result in files that can be dropped into iTunes MANUALLY - one by one.

But this is the problem - it's all manual.

Is there anything one can do to automatically export(import) ETV recordings into iTunes directly?

All the components are already there - it just needs a routine to run to finish the job. This would be an incredible feature for allowing ETV recordings to be viewed/played on an Apple TV - transparently - with no action on the user's part other than regular scheduling.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 05-11-2012, 05:22 AM - Thread Starter

I should also add - I'm currently using a Western Digital HDTV Live Streaming box.

It can read .eyetv files DIRECTLY off of the network from my Mac's internal HDD using PS3 Media Server! It's awesome, though gets a little glitchy with movie files I have on an external HDD. (Pausing the movie causes jumps afterwards). Moving to local storage would fix it, but that's a hassle to keep it updated with new additions.

Due to the movie problem, I've bought an Apple TV 3 and am going to try it, with iTunes linking to the external HDD files. If I can get the ETV3 recordings to automatically show up in iTunes/TV Shows - it would be awesome.
post #3 of 9 Old 05-11-2012, 06:01 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

...this is the problem - it's all manual...Is there anything one can do to automatically export(import) EyeTV recordings into iTunes directly?

It doesn't have to be manual: EyeTV has been able to automatically export any scheduled recording you choose and add the converted file to iTunes for years, that doesn't work for you?
post #4 of 9 Old 05-11-2012, 03:21 PM - Thread Starter

Funny, when I asked Elgato this -
Quote:

Thanks for the mail to the Elgato support team.

Currently there is no feature to automatically export recordings to iTunes.
I will forward your email to the Elgato product management team as a feature request. Hopefully we can offer this feature in a future version of EyeTV.

We always welcome feedback from our customers.

-----------------------------
Ticket: 4812125

After your reply I'll have to play with it again and see... I have a new Apple TV3 arriving next week to test it out on. Of course I wouldn't want to redundantly copy the actual video files into iTunes - hope that's an option. (iTunes/Preferences - uncheck - Copy files to iTunes when adding...)
post #5 of 9 Old 05-12-2012, 08:59 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

Funny, when I asked Elgato this...Currently there is no feature to automatically export recordings to iTunes.

Well, they don't actually have a universal automatic export setting...once you schedule shows to be recorded you still have to go into that scheduled recording list and tick off which shows (or all shows) you want "automatically" exported after recording and then those will be added to iTunes, but you only have to do that once every week or two, then whatever is scheduled will be exported and added to iTunes.

I don't know if EyeTV has been updated yet for the aTV3 and iPad3, with 3.5.4 I believe the highest quality iPad/aTV setting that can automatically be added to iTunes by checking the "open iTunes when done" box is what they call "Apple TV HD," which is 1280 x 720 H.264 at 30 FPS, and since EyeTV still can't deal with AC-3 properly, it's stereo audio. (I do most of my transcodes in Handbrake where you have much more control.)

Export saves a copy to whatever drive or volume you designate AND imports a copy to iTunes. I keep "Copy files to iTunes media folder" checked so I can't tell you what happens when you don't. And to my knowledge, there's no easy way to delete that redundant copy other than manually.

They've had a "prepare all new recordings for iPhone/iPad" setting under "iPhone/iPad access options" for a while, which also creates an H.264 copy...but this function is different from the Export function: it does not add the resulting H.264 conversion to iTunes. In El Gato's poorly designed ecosystem the "Prepare" function just keeps that copy in your EyeTV archive, hidden, so when you're using the EyeTV app on an iPad it can stream the H.264 version to you. It was too complicated for them to add live conversion of EyeTV recordings, which an app like Air Video has already been handling well for years, and which would have rendered any need to "prepare" recordings in advance of streaming moot.

That said, you can still add any of those recordings "prepared" for iPad access to iTunes manually, Control-Click on the episode in your Archive > show package contents > then drag and drop the iPad.m4v to Tunes and it'll show up on your aTV via iTunes home sharing.

But you're after the least manual option, so go the Export of scheduled recordings route if you want everything "in" iTunes. I've learned over time that it's best to let iTunes copy all files to my iTunes Media folder and to keep that folder organized because home sharing with Macs and iOS devices works much better that way--I can't vouch for how seamless everything will be for you if you uncheck those two settings, go the symlink route and let iTunes media reside in a bunch of different places.

I may not be the best to advise you, I only keep a small portion of my total media collection "in" iTunes...frankly I don't waste too much time converting EyeTV recordings "for" iTunes, we watch most EyeTV content in XBMC with a Mac Mini. If we want to watch EyeTV recordings on our stock aTV3, we just use an iPad as a remote control, let Air Video do the live conversion and then "AirPlay" it to the aTV3. We also have an older aTV running XBMC in a bedroom and that can, of course, play those EyeTV recordings directly.
post #6 of 9 Old 05-13-2012, 05:25 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much chefklc - this is a an excellent reply/post - 5 stars!
I'll do some experimentation once I have the AppleTV3 and see how it goes.

Currently, with the new Western Digital WDTV Live Streaming box - and running PS3 Media Server (free) on my main Mac to connect with it - the WDTVLS can actually read the native .eyetv files with no conversions (or at least open them and play the iPad files). PS3 Media Server allows you to play media from many folder locations anywhere with no limits. So in the case of my EyeTVarchive folder - it's just dropped into the PS3MS Media list. Sometimes however, the connection flakes out and everything has to be reset. I'm also having a small problem where movies on an external drive play great - as long as you never use the pause button. If you do it will go crazy (after you start it back up) and skip forward a random amount.

My less techie family members don't like the complexity and unreliability. Bottom line - I'm hoping AppleTV3 simplicity will step in and cover the job in the most transparent way possible.
(FWIW - I also have an Apple TV1 set up with XBMC, and also use Handbrake to reduce media files down from Video_TS folders for playback on iPad and other devices.) The ATV1 was really too complicated for the family, but I liked it! :-)

In the case of EyeTV3 recordings - for us - we don't care if it's only stereo audio - as we're only using it to supplement a TiVo Premiere, so the recordings are TV shows - pretty much disposable. Of course AFAIK if we drop a movie into iTunes that has 5.1 audio - it will stay 5.1. :-)

I'm not a fan of redundantly adding extra copies of media files into iTunes just to get them in there, but maybe that's the only way for a fully automated process to work. I suppose for EyeTV3 TV show recordings it would be OK - just require some regular clean up to delete old (watched) files. I have to do this anyway in the Eye TV Archive (recordings) folder - since to date there is no hardware player that can do any sort of file management for EyeTV.

As far as iTunes playing those 5.1 Movie files (iTunes/Preferences - uncheck - Copy files to iTunes when adding...) seems to work well for me. I also have a big library of original music and keeping full control of the organization of my independent archives/original files is of #1 importance.

I expect in the very near future the iTunes folder will become locked down (like iPhoto) - with the files inside hidden from users so the structure cannot be disrupted. I understand this approach, but personally still prefer the old fashioned file tree.

Anyway, I'll touch back on this thread once I've tested some things out. Thanks again!
post #7 of 9 Old 05-14-2012, 12:25 PM

Liked: 10
If you manually select an Apple TV export, or in your schedules set the export to Apple TV, the recording will be encoded for Apple TV and exported (imported) to iTunes automatically. I have EyeTV 3.4.3 and iTunes running on Lion and it works perfectly every time. I then use the Apple TV and various iPads to view the iTunes library view home sharing the encodings show up and play perfectly.
post #8 of 9 Old 05-14-2012, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsoft View Post

If you manually select an Apple TV export....

Thanks - that was established and confirmed in the original post however!

Quote:

or in your schedules set the export to Apple TV

I have a test running tonight that will employ this automated setting of Export to ATV -
Smart Guides/Options/Export To Apple TV HD

This should work fine of course - but it will likely copy the entire file into iTunes (highly undesirable). There seems to be no way however to automate the use of the iTunes advanced setting of - (iTunes/Preferences/Advanced - uncheck - Copy files to iTunes when adding...) - it's manual only AFAIK and ignored on ETV3 Exports.

...more on this soon.
post #9 of 9 Old 05-16-2012, 05:34 AM - Thread Starter

I think this solved it!

The iTunes setting -
iTunes/Preferences/Advanced/Uncheck - Copy Files to iTunes when adding

Combined with EyeTV3's setting -
Smart Guides/Options/Export To Apple TV HD

Results in NO FILES REDUNDANTLY copied into iTunes -
User/Music/iTunes/iTunesMusic/TV Shows/ (no new files added)

The original .eyetv files are (still) in my default location for EyeTV3 -
User/Movies/EyeTVrecordings/EyeTVarchive/

However - the "Export To Apple TV HD" .M4V files all land in the top level directory where I have set my EyeTV Recordings folder default location (in this case - Movies) -
User/Movies/

I'm not sure if there is a way to change this export destination to a different location - like a subdirectory of the main Movies folder (preferred) but otherwise, this is exactly what I was hoping for.

If I can't figure out a way to get the exported .m4v files destination into a subdirectory, I might attempt creating a new "EyeTV" directory solely for the EyeTV folder and moving it all in there -
User/EyeTV/EyeTVrecordings/EyeTVarchive/
This would at least consolidate all EyeTV recordings to one location and no longer mix .M4V exports in with the other items in - User/Movies/.

Either way - this is good news!
Reply HTPC - Mac Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page