EyeTV3 Recording Strategy - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 05-19-2012, 09:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I've been recording network shows from unencrypted clear QAM with generally good results, by selecting shows from the Program Guide, and editing the Schedule to repeat as desired. The downside has been that this gives priority to the time/day/channel slot (rather than the named program), so when the schedule varies I get shows I don't want, and (worse) recordings I did want are mis-named when the scheduled shows resume. Also, I get repeats I don't need to see.

So now I've cancelled all that and gone over to using Smart Guides for all repeating shows. My only two criteria are "Title is Showname (e.g. New Girl, etc)", and "New is True". So far so good. My question is whether there are other Smart Guide strategies or logic conditions I should consider? There are lots on the list. Suggestions or tips?

Also, do I need to select "record all shows" from the Options drop down to continue recording future shows?

Finally, I see that a show won't record if there's a conflict, but that no alert pops up unless I try to make it record; that requires scanning all my Smart Guides (one for each show :tedious. Is there an easier way to get a conflict alert?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 05-20-2012, 06:01 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Smart guides with the addition of the New tag has been my strategy. You probably don't have to put in the new tag if you keep the recordings around, I tend to delete shows after I watch them so the New requirement works great for me too.

If you don't have the "Record all Matches" box chosen it won't record any shows so leaving it selected is likely your best bet.

Conflict identification is unfortunately difficult in EyeTV. It does seem to prioritize shows by their position in the physical list, top of the list being the highest priority. Other than that you just have to be vigilant when you schedule and times change. If I see something isn't recording for some reason I'll usually pull up the channel guide to figure out where the overlap is.

Reply HTPC - Mac Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page