iTunes m4v DRM - Help? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 05-22-2012, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Looking for some opinions on m4v. To date, most of my movies are on my HTPC from ripped blu-ray discs I own. I usually just rip the folder structure as is, and play them via MPC. This gives me bit-streaming lossless audio codecs, which is great... the only downside being file sizes.

However, I want to experiment with adding my entire movie catalog to iTunes. I like the idea of having all my movies organized within iTunes, sorted with album covers and metadata. For the movies I already own, I can create an m4v version of them. But what about future movies?

I'd love to be able to buy a movie directly from iTunes and just strip it's DRM. The more I googled this subject, the more I found mostly bad software using cheesy methods like screen capture to do this. Are there any more legit pieces of software that actually remove DRM from a file, while retaining metadata?

Looking for non-junk software basically

Look at profile for
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-22-2012, 03:11 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

Looking for some opinions on m4v

m4v is a great container.

Most here rip the blu-ray disk and then transcode.

Anything you did buy from iTunes would of course be playable on all your computers, Apple TVs and iOS devices via iCloud (when you're out of the house) or iTunes Home Sharing (when you're in your house.)

Quote:

Are there any more legit pieces of software that actually remove DRM from a file, while retaining metadata?

I don't know, sorry.

Can't recall anyone here trying to defeat the DRM on an iTunes purchase when 1) Apple has made is so easy to play that file and 2) it is so easy to rip the blu-ray...and then transcode into any number of formats or containers...any reason why you wouldn't just continue on that track? Surely you're not buying or renting that many movies per week that the logistics would be a concern?

Genuinely curious...
post #3 of 6 Old 05-23-2012, 04:23 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefklc View Post

m4v is a great container.

Most here rip the blu-ray disk and then transcode.

Anything you did buy from iTunes would of course be playable on all your computers, Apple TVs and iOS devices via iCloud (when you're out of the house) or iTunes Home Sharing (when you're in your house.)

I don't know, sorry.

Can't recall anyone here trying to defeat the DRM on an iTunes purchase when 1) Apple has made is so easy to play that file and 2) it is so easy to rip the blu-ray...and then transcode into any number of formats or containers...any reason why you wouldn't just continue on that track? Surely you're not buying or renting that many movies per week that the logistics would be a concern?

Genuinely curious...

Well, for one thing I don't like being tied down to any particular technology system's DRM. You buy into a companies content eco-system, and as strong as Apple is... you never know what things will be like in the future. I'm relying on them for future developments, improvements, and support. The reason I want to strip the DRM from iTunes movies, is the same reason people strip the DRM from Blu-ray discs. Most people don't enjoy someone telling them when, where, and on how many devices they can play legally purchased content. More importantly what if stop using Apple products, or the competition introduces a better device for playback? Now I have a ton of money invested in movies who's only supported under iTunes and iOS devices.

Honestly there's post all over the web about this sort of thing. Apple products aren't excluded from the desire to remove DRM just because they're easy to use.

Look at profile for
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
info.
post #4 of 6 Old 06-18-2012, 12:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked: 159
The program you are looking for is called Requiem.
post #5 of 6 Old 06-18-2012, 08:56 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Interesting... reference says latest version of Requiem works with iTunes 10.x, but all sources say works only with iTunes <10.x with admonition to not to upgrade passed iTunes 9.x..

If more of us valued food and cheer above hoarded gold, it would be a much merrier world.

post #6 of 6 Old 06-23-2012, 10:59 PM

Requiem 3.3.5 works with iTunes 10.5
but you need to use 10.5 to download your purchases

or wait the author to update.
Reply HTPC - Mac Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page