Playback Issue with PLEX - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 08-11-2012, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Just wondering if anyone else is also unhappy with PLEX these days? My issue, which has been a problem for a while now since I upgraded versions, is that video_ts files no longer play back smoothly.

I read somewhere else (maybe on tthe PLEX forum, don't remember) that I was not the only one having the playback issue and that it is a known bug. Seems like this is one of the basic features of PLEX to playback video_ts files, and if the software can't do that it's not of much use to me other than PLEX can play .mkv files smoothly (not that I upgraded my Mac Mini).

So instead I have been using XBMC, it plays video_ts files flawlessly for me, but not .mkv files. It would be nice to have a front end that can do both well, like PLEX did at one time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 08-11-2012, 04:14 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
For over a year now XBMC has played VIDEO_TS and all .mkvs for me, and whole lot of other people, flawlessly with the 2.3 2011 Mini, that includes MakeMKV blu-ray rips without the need for any additional acceleration, so you're doing something wrong or have to fine tune your display settings. Even with the slow stock hard drives in the mini you should be getting perfect front end performance. Make sure you're only testing .mkvs that you've created yourself rather than something of unknown origin that you've downloaded, that they're on your internal drive to rule out network issues, play around with your display sync and refresh rate switching settings, even try different versions of XBMC, etc. Maybe visit the XBMC support forum to see if there are others with the Radeon HD 6630M having problems, and which version of XBMC is affected:

http://forum.xbmc.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=56

Gave up on Plex a long time ago, can't help you there.
post #3 of 12 Old 08-11-2012, 06:21 PM - Thread Starter

Okay, I'll give .mkv files another try on XBMC and check my settings. The files I'm playing are ones I've created with the makemkv software from an external USB 2.0 drive attached to the Mac Mini. Do you have any suggestions for settings?

I'm ready to dump PLEX so if the .mkv files play smoothly on XBMC I will have no reason to keep PLEX around.
post #4 of 12 Old 08-12-2012, 07:53 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Do you have any suggestions for settings?

Not really, other than making sure you understand what the various settings do and don't do within XBMC: things like hardware acceleration, display refresh rate switching, sync playback to display, A/V sync method, et al. There's a little dance that everyone has to go through to figure out their best desktop res and best XBMC settings for their display, unless someone else has your exact display and Mini that's something you can only figure out by trial and error. As HDTVs have gotten "smarter" they've also become more challenging to figure out what all of their different processing modes mean--and there may already be a good owners thread about your model here at AVS.

I generally leave hardware acceleration off in XBMC and only turn it on with a particularly challenging blu-ray when I feel I need it.

Play the files from your internal drive, not the USB, while you're testing. Also make sure you're not trying to play back the high def audio, i.e. that you are selecting the core DD/DTS audio that was extracted by MakeMKV. And you didn't mention what you're doing on the audio side...optical or HDMI, into an AVR or direct to the display...that can affect smooth video playback as well.
post #5 of 12 Old 08-12-2012, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter

Passing the core DD/DTS signal via HDMI. Previously (with my old Mac Mini) I was using the optical cable but now that I can pass audio via HDMI, I like having one less cable to hook up.

Also note that video_TS files played fine prior to installing a PLEX update. They also continue to play fine using XBMC and the Apple DVD player.
post #6 of 12 Old 08-12-2012, 05:39 PM

Liked: 10
Yep, a major argument against Plex is that it does everything really well, except for playing media. Kind of ironic considering that's its purpose. Have you tried using previous versions or even rolling backing to version Eight? From my experience, everything just mostly worked in Eight. Nine introduces unneeded features while removing functionality, IMO.
post #7 of 12 Old 08-16-2012, 09:43 AM

What has been keeping me on Plex is its integration with iTunes. Is there an XBMC plug-in that works with iTunes (and iPhoto) now?
post #8 of 12 Old 08-18-2012, 06:25 AM - Thread Starter

I think I'll be dumping Plex as XBMC plays both video_ts files and .mkv files without issues.
post #9 of 12 Old 08-27-2012, 02:43 PM

I am running the latest version of Plex and have no issue of playing .vob or .mkv files.
post #10 of 12 Old 09-16-2012, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Plex has been great for me, but I don't use HD Audio.

Philip
post #11 of 12 Old 09-16-2012, 01:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I may be off, but i don't believe Plex does HD audio yet. XMBC does, but only after doing a mod/add-on
post #12 of 12 Old 09-23-2012, 10:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovekeiiy View Post

I may be off, but i don't believe Plex does HD audio yet. XMBC does, but only after doing a mod/add-on

Right, it doesn't do HD Audio. What I meant to say is I have very basic audio requirements (analogue Bose Cinemate) and have no disk images that I care to play. Audio and playing various disk images seem to be the areas where people have the most problems with various media players.

Philip
Reply HTPC - Mac Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page