Is EyeTV the right choice? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 08-15-2012, 11:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I no longer live in the US but want to get US channels, HD broadcasts, etc. While I find that I can sometimes use a VPN to access broadcasts on web sites, and through Plex, I'm still missing out on many programs/quality that I would like to see. Will EyeTV combined with a VPN allow me to access actual US/UK channels from other parts of the world?

tia,
Mini
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-16-2012, 07:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I haven't used EyeTV, so some general knowledge on TV, and some guessing.

Obviously, you're not going to get any US broadcasts. As the UK, it should work fine with whatever is coming out the pipe.

As for the internet based stuff, you're going need the US IP to get access. Maybe someone has done a script to turn on a VPN when trying to access those sites for EyeTV, but I suspect not likely.

I do know of a service that is online based that will give you access to US TV broadcasts. Check out USTVnow. It's specifically for US people living abroad that still want TV from home. The broadcasts are based out of Philadelphia. You don't need to use a VPN. It has a free month trial. The free service is only ABC, NBC, FOX, CBS, and PBS with low-res only. They have a plan for $30 a month that gives hi-res, and more channels like Disney, ESPN, Discovery and so forth. They even have some kind of DVR function.

If you really want to have it all, there is another company they work with that you can get something like two hundred channels. I think they have some kind of plan for premium stuff like HBO. I don't remember the costs, but I think one was $50/month, and another being $99/mn. I believe this company offers HD.

If you have a good VPN service, I would see if you can use Hulu or Netflix or other such services, and see if they have the shows you want. Most of those sites offer HD, it's just not the clarify of OTA or cable/satellite. It costs some money for a good VPN, but probably cheaper than using that other online TV service.
post #3 of 5 Old 08-17-2012, 04:49 PM

Liked: 12
Well, I'm the flip side; I don't do VPN, but I do use EyeTV. Elgato's system has two parts; a software control package for the Mac, and a hardware tuner. It can be used in many countries, using a tuner appropriate for the region. The tuner receives TV broadcasts or unencrypted clear QAM, and the software has a program guide so one can view and/or record shows.

I'm not a sophisticated user, but it doesn't sound like the EyeTV system will work for you, since you are basically planning to get your content online. (And probably you knew all this already)
post #4 of 5 Old 08-17-2012, 08:45 PM - Thread Starter

@lovekeiiy

Good info and thanks! But you are reminding me how much I hated those huge cable bills wink.gif I guess I just want to be able to watch a few of those channels/shows directly on my set versus having to open a browser and all that business; I'm not always around and my wife, kids, etc will go mad with my instructions wink.gif
post #5 of 5 Old 08-17-2012, 09:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gring40 View Post

It can be used in many countries, using a tuner appropriate for the region. The tuner receives TV broadcasts or unencrypted clear QAM, and the software has a program guide so one can view and/or record shows.
@gring40 --

Your setup seems interesting. So by using the ElGato Tuner, you can pickup unencrypted signals by connecting it to the local coax/antenna. Interesting but I guess it won't work if I'm in another country -- I'll just get their channels frown.gif

May have to check out USTVNow .
Reply HTPC - Mac Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page