AVS Forum banner

EyeTV converted videos freezing

1K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  pbcymru 
#1 ·
I passed on my 2009 Mac Mini to my daughter recently. She is using it as a DVR, recording TV shows, converting them to iTunes, and then watching on a TV set using Apple TV. There is a Turbo.264 HD stick on the Mini to make conversions go reasonably fast. The problem is that a fairly large number of conversions have a problem whereby at a certain point the video freezes. The sound continues, but the video stops completely and never starts again. I've had her try different export settings, iPad, Apple TV, etc. but that hasn't helped. I can have her try HandBrake, but that's not a very good solution because it's so slow (doesn't use the Turbo.264 stick) and not automatic. I'm puzzled, because I used that machine for two years without that problem. I was using Snow Leopard and it now has Mountain Lion, maybe that has something to do with it. Any suggestions?

#3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefklc  /t/1426330/eyetv-converted-videos-freezing#post_22344386

If the original recordings play back fine, and the Handbrake transcodes of those recordings play back fine, then you have your answer. Confirm that first, then you can move on to potentially troubleshooting the turbo stick in ML.
Thanks. The original files do play OK. I've asked her to do the HandBrake test, which hopefully be able to do OK. She's never ventured into the world of video before.

#4 ·
This happens on my system running Snow Leopard. It's a long standing problem which was documented in the old EyeTv forums. I never got to the bottom of it but I suspect it's a problem with the actual tv signal which in certain areas has irregularities possibly caused by interference which the EyeTv software can't handle on export. If you try exporting the same files using the Turbo264HD software then it'll work every time without a problem. I used to export everything automatically to an AppeTv format by using a triggered script (RecordingDone) which handed the recording on to the Turbo software to be exported in the background.

I don't do this anymore as I use a different script to just export all recordings as mpeg exports which is much faster as its just a remux and then use XBMC on an AppleTV and AirVideo on an iPad to view. Obviously this requires a jailbreak on the AppleTv.

#5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbcymru  /t/1426330/eyetv-converted-videos-freezing#post_22346338

I don't do this anymore as I use a different script to just export all recordings as mpeg exports which is much faster as its just a remux and then use XBMC on an AppleTV and AirVideo on an iPad to view. Obviously this requires a jailbreak on the AppleTv.
That's interesting that it works running the Turbo.264 program. That would be a good solution if it could be automated. Could you possibly share your script?

#6 ·
Here's the script I used to use - it's a slightly modified version of one by Ralf Niedling. Paste the code into Applescript Editor, compile and save as RecordingDone. You'll need to change the destination path first and create a custom profile in the Turbo.264 software (mine is a custom profile called iPad2):

(*Export Script for the export of EyeTV recordings with Turbo.264 HD by selecting a custom profile. Please copy this script to

"/Library/Application Support/EyeTV/Scripts" and also to "/Library/Application Support/EyeTV/Scripts/TriggeredScripts" . Then it

will start Turbo.264 HD after recording has finished and convert the recording with custom profile (iPad2 in this case)

and save the output file in folder DEST_PATH

Most work done by Ralf Niedling ( http://www.niedling.info ).

property SOURCE_TYPE : ".mpg"

property DEST_PATH : "/Volumes/MediaFW/iTunes/Automatically Add to iTunes"

on RecordingDone(recordingID)

tell application "EyeTV.app"

set new_recording_id to (recordingID as integer)

set new_recording to «class cRec» id new_recording_id

my export_recording(new_recording)

end tell

end RecordingDone

on run

set selected_recordings to selection of «class Prgw»

repeat with selected_recording in selected_recordings

my export_recording(selected_recording)

end repeat

end tell

end run

on export_recording(the_recording)

set recording_location to URL of the_recording as text

set AppleScript's text item delimiters to "."

set recording_path to text items 1 through -2 of recording_location as string

set AppleScript's text item delimiters to ""

set recording_path to POSIX path of recording_path

set input_file to recording_path & SOURCE_TYPE as string

tell application "Turbo.264 HD.app"

launch

«event TuBoAddf» input_file given «class Etgt»:DEST_PATH, «class Etyp»:«constant EtypCust», «class CusN»:"iPad 2"

«event TuBoTenc»

end tell

end tell

end export_recording

on get_recording_name(recording_location)

set oldDelimiters to AppleScript's text item delimiters

set AppleScript's text item delimiters to "/"

set path_components to every text item of POSIX path of (recording_location as string)

set recording_folder to item -2 of path_components as string

set AppleScript's text item delimiters to ".eyetv"

set recording_name to first item of every text item of recording_folder

set AppleScript's text item delimiters to oldDelimiters

return recording_name

end get_recording_name

on escape_path(the_path)

set oldDelimiters to AppleScript's text item delimiters

set path_components to every text item of the_path

repeat with counter from 1 to count path_components

set path_component to item counter of path_components

set item counter of path_components to my escape_string(path_component)

end repeat

set the_path to path_components as string

return the_path

end escape_path

on escape_string(the_string)

set chars to every character of the_string

repeat with i from 1 to length of chars

if "!$&\"'*()/{[|;?` \\" contains (item i of chars as text) then

set item i of chars to "\\" & (item i of chars as text)

end if

end repeat

return every item of chars as string

end escape_string

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.