Eyetv crashes network connections on my iMac while streaming recorded programs to iPad using eyetv iOS app. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 10-06-2012, 11:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Here is what I have a 21"iMac 3.6ghz Intel Core i5 with 16gb RAM, latest version of eyetv software on iMac, and HDHomerun (newer version) for recording. I have a 3rd gen iPad with the latest iOS app installed. My iMac uses wired ethernet plugged into airport extreme base station. I have 10.8.2 os installed.

I have eyetv on the iMac setup to stream to the iOS app using the user name and password system elgato has setup. While I am watching recorded programs on my iPad about 20-35 minuted into watching the program the wired network connection on my iMac crashes and can no longer access local network or internet. I have to reset my computer to restore network connections. I can watch live tv with no issue on my iPad. I have tried just using wireless and having wireless and ethernet on at the same time and the problem still happens.

To resolve issue I have tried resetting PRAM with no success. I have uninstalled eyetv and reinstalled using the eyetv reporter with no success. I am working with Elgato tech support, but I am curious if anyone else is having a similar issue.

I am wondering if the issue has something to do with mac os 10.8.x and eyetv. Last TV season this was not an issue when I was on 10.7.x.

I only stream on my local network. I have not tested streaming over the internet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2012, 12:58 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
While I am watching recorded programs on my iPad about 20-35 minuted into watching the program the wired network connection on my iMac crashes and can no longer access local network or internet. I have to reset my computer to restore network connections.

When you say "crashes" and "reset" what do you actually mean--what actually crashes and how are you resetting your computer? Do you mean your Mac just drops its network connection and disappears from your home network, i.e. other Macs or iOS devices on the network can't screen share in anymore? Is a reset a restart? Is your crash a complete freeze of your entire system, a kernel panic, requiring a force restart, or can you still move your mouse cursor around and are other apps still up and running just fine?

It's been a while since I've used the EyeTV iOS app for anything, in fact I don't think I even put it on my iPad 3 once I traded up to it from the 2, but back when I did I never had a problem with live TV streaming to the iPad 2 from a 2011 Mini in either 10.6 or 10.7, wired to an Airport Extreme like your iMac. Before there was an EyeTV iPad app I streamed my recordings to the iPad with Air Video, that's the first thing I'd suggest you try--take EyeTV out of the equation, stream your recordings with a different app like Air Video or Plex, and see if you get the same behavior. Also, back then El Gato made you specifically "prepare" any recording you wanted to stream to an iPad in advance which I thought was a waste, so to this day I just kept streaming my EyeTV recordings with the Air Video app, it's always worked perfectly transcoding those recordings live.

Make sure you uncheck sleep, putting hard disks to sleep and screen saver while you're troubleshooting...

How long have you had your 16GB of RAM in the machine?
Old 10-11-2012, 12:39 PM - Thread Starter

The wired network fails, looses the IP address and cannot access local or internet services nor can it be accessed by other devices. When you reset the computer everything is good again. The iMac itself has no other issues than a loss of networking.

I have converted eyetv recordings to itunes and through home sharing can stream tv shows to my iPad with no issues what so ever. It is something to do with eyetv on the mac or iOS app.

16gb of ram has been in the system since day one, and there are no other issues with the iMac.

I have also tried unchecking all settings regarding power saving...

I think I am going to just keep converting shows to iTunes and watch from there...
Old 11-25-2012, 12:16 PM

The latest version of eyetv appears to have fixed this issue, at least for me.