DTS on Mac: VLC plays center channel but Plex doesn't - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 11-09-2012, 12:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Does anybody have any idea why a 5.1 DTS track from an m4v file plays fine in VLC (I hear dialogue from the center channel) but nor in Plex, where it sounds just like stereo (even though Plex shows that it's playing the DTS track)? It's puzzling me. This does not happen with AC3. It puzzles me and annoys me I am trying to play things in Plex. Does anybody know how to have Plex play the DTS properly? I am passing sound through optical to my AVR.

Another Plex-related question for multi-audio tracks: it seems that Plex will actually pick the first "enabled" track, right? I made my files initially with a stereo track first and then a surround track, but since Plex isn't able to pick the track with most channels automatically, it seems that I can make it do that just by enabling the surround track only? I don't have to remux to put the surround track first, correct? I have both tracks for compatibility with iTunes/iDevices but my files are too big for them, I should eventually get rid of the stereo tracks...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 11-10-2012, 09:10 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Note which version of Plex and OS you're using and obviously check their discussion forums, but I seem to recall over the years several DTS & Plex related bugs which caused just what you're hearing--surround in the wrong channels, i.e. center channel NOT being sent to the center channel speaker, but with 'DTS' seemingly properly registering on your AVR. Maybe 3 years ago was when I switched to XBMC exclusively, and XBMC never had that bug because they upgraded the video and audio underpinnings more quickly than the Plex team did. I forgot offhand what the resolution was, whether you had to remap the surround output channels in AudioMIDI, whether it was a bug in Handbrake that only affected Plex, so do check over at their forum. You can confirm it is a Plex only issue by seeing if you get the correct audio where it should be in VLC and XBMC.

I always keep an aTV/iOS device Handbrake transcode of my movies just the way Apple wants you to do it: AAC audio first, AC3/DTS passthrough second. That's in addition to the full-size MakeMKV rip for the Macs in the HT.
Reply HTPC - Mac Chat