New Mac Mini 3D Problem - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 11-10-2012, 10:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just got a 2.6 Ghz i7 Mac Mini with 16GB of RAM to use as a HTPC (also has the fusion drive). I have some 3D movies I want to try on my new 3D TV (Sharp 80"), but when I play them with VLC or Plex, there is a stutter, almost as if it's dropping frames. Any other 3D source works fine on the TV (fios, xbox 360, ps3). There is no stutter playing regular 1080p movies through the Mac Mini. Does anyone have an idea what might be the problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 11-25-2012, 06:59 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 101
That sounds rather frustrating and at best - worth a look at Plex forums.

What you might want to do if you have the resources, try XBMC via Linux or Windows and see if you still have the same problems. You should be able to do this from your Mini. There is also the Live XBMC disc that you could try as well if you have an external dvd reader.

I don't bother with 3D as I don't have true stereoscopic vision so this challenge of yours is not something I can relate to other than the typical htpc frustrations that are always there. I would also say the same for Minis with OSX not passing HD audio yet Windows on the Mini will.

Best luck to you
post #3 of 4 Old 11-27-2012, 12:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyjlr View Post

I just got a 2.6 Ghz i7 Mac Mini with 16GB of RAM to use as a HTPC (also has the fusion drive). I have some 3D movies I want to try on my new 3D TV (Sharp 80"), but when I play them with VLC or Plex, there is a stutter, almost as if it's dropping frames. Any other 3D source works fine on the TV (fios, xbox 360, ps3). There is no stutter playing regular 1080p movies through the Mac Mini. Does anyone have an idea what might be the problem?

Hardware video decode acceleration may have been turned off for 3D.
On VLC go to the Preferences menu and select the Video Tab and look at the Output Module.

Play around with the choices to see if things change.
post #4 of 4 Old 11-27-2012, 11:14 AM

Liked: 10
I want to buy exactly the same Mac mini and use it in combination with a 3D monitor, but is your problem already solved? If not I might not buy a 3D monitor....
Reply HTPC - Mac Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page