Mac Mini - DVD player sound output - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 11-12-2012, 01:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,
Can someone help me? I have just hooked up my Mac Mini (2009) to a new Integra AV receiver. I have audio hooked up via toslink/optical, and video via mini-dvi-HDMI. (The utlimate video output is to a Viewsonic projector.) The audio works fine (say if I am playing Itunes), as does both video and audio if I am streaming something on the Mac. But if I play a dvd on the Mac, I see the image but get no sound. When I go to Preferences in the DVD Player program, there is a box for sound output, and it says "System sound" but is grayed out. The regular Sound control on system preferences says "Digital audio." What's going on?

thanks, from a newbie.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 11-12-2012, 05:57 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Given the way you have your Mac connected in the DVD player app preferences you should be seeing two audio output choices, "system sound output" and "digital out." The one you want is digital out. (If you had two digital out connections that could carry audio, as one might with a newer Mac than yours, say a Mac with HDMI out and optical out connected at the same time, you'd have to choose which digital out you wanted, and in that case for optical you'd choose "built-in output." But you don't have to make that choice, just toggle from System Sound to Digital Out and you should be fine.

In the System wide Sound output preferences panel, the device you should select is "Digital Out" and "optical digital-out port."

If you do all that, and still aren't getting any sound, then it's human error setting up your AVR.

Also, can you try to play back a ripped dvd to confirm you can pass-through DTS or DD 5.1 with a different program, say VLC or XBMC?
post #3 of 3 Old 11-12-2012, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Many thanks. It was just my stupidity. It turns out you can't switch the audio output on the mac while it is playing a dvd.
Reply HTPC - Mac Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page