Mac Pro HTPC help - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 11-21-2012, 07:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello everyone. I am in the planning stage for a HT / office and would love some help figuring out the best way to play movies on my Mac through my HT. I am a noob when it comes to HTPC so bear with me. My Mac Pro will be located roughly 12 feet away from my AV gear. I am currently using a Boxee Box and an external HD for my upstairs TV and it works pretty good. So my question is what is the best way for me to play a movie that sits on my Mac through my HT? Add another Boxee Box, Software, etc???? Thanks

MacPro 5,1
3.33 GHz 6- Core

Denon 4311
Sony VPLHW30ES

Will be adding:
Blu-Ray Player
XBOX 360
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 11-22-2012, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftoverCrack View Post

Hello everyone. I am in the planning stage for a HT / office and would love some help figuring out the best way to play movies on my Mac through my HT. I am a noob when it comes to HTPC so bear with me. My Mac Pro will be located roughly 12 feet away from my AV gear. I am currently using a Boxee Box and an external HD for my upstairs TV and it works pretty good. So my question is what is the best way for me to play a movie that sits on my Mac through my HT? Add another Boxee Box, Software, etc???? Thanks
MacPro 5,1
3.33 GHz 6- Core
Denon 4311
Sony VPLHW30ES
Will be adding:
Blu-Ray Player
XBOX 360

It depends on what you want want. Personally I use my MacPro along with a NFS server to share with my Dune's and NeoTV550 to multiple rooms.
post #3 of 3 Old 11-28-2012, 02:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
This depends on how much you want to experiment. I have an 8-core mac pro, 3 mac mini's. a couple of Boxees, a Windows HTPC, and a 50 TB server. With respect to your mac pr, your options are:

1) use the mac pro as your file server/ transcoding mule -- this is what I've ended up doing, after lots of experimentation. I use my mac pro to do the heavy lifting for transcoding for my iOS devices via Plex. I point the Plex library to my server and let it do the work.

2) give your mac pro the ability to dual boot into Windows, replace the video card with an HDMI-compatible one (you'll have to check to see if you can just plug it in without some work) and use it as a Windows HTPC (as well as a Plex server if you wish). I've done this as well. I use an ATI HD6870 for video, and can boot into Windows in order to bitstream lossless BR codecs.

3) just use your mac pro as a samba/afp server for your media playback devices. This is pretty simple.

After lots of experimentation, I chose the 1st route because it was just the simplest option, and allows me to still largely live in an OS X environment. Granted, I had some extra freedom with my 24-bay server, which I got and modified for a song.
Reply HTPC - Mac Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page