How do you guys with Mac's distribute video (ala Windows Media Extenders)? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 11-27-2012, 06:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just wonder how you push out content from the Mac to the rest of the house. IE, if you have a HDHomeRun connected, how do you change channels from a TV in another room?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 11-27-2012, 08:22 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I pull content from my iTunes library with multiple Apple TVs.

EyeTV sits on my office computer, pulls in TV Shows, records and transcodes them to iTunes. I have a script or two that tag the files and send me an email when they're ready to view.

As far as changing channels and such, I use an OTA ATSC antenna mounted in my attic. All TVs are fed with that signal in addition to having AppleTVs, so if I want to channel surf the limited cable selection that I have I simply tune with the TV tuner.

Most of my viewing is of Netflix streaming or EyeTv recordings. We rarely watch live tv, other than local news.
post #3 of 4 Old 12-05-2012, 07:26 PM

Use InstaTV Pro on your iPad to watch live TV from your HD HomeRun or Airplay it to any Apple TV in your house. Works for me. Also, use PLEX on your Mac and stream any content to your iPad, Airplay that to your Apple TV, or if your Apple TV is jailbroken (as mine are), run PLEX directly on the Apple TV. Way better than a bulky XBOX (I sold mine).
post #4 of 4 Old 12-13-2012, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno100 View Post

Use InstaTV Pro on your iPad to watch live TV from your HD HomeRun or Airplay it to any Apple TV in your house.

What do you think of InstaTV Pro? Are you using EyeTV on the Mac side to play the video or are you streaming directly from an HDHomeRun? I've only had my HDHomeRun for a week, but love it. I can record two channels at the same time in EyeTV which is impressive, but streaming downstairs to my Apple TV isn't working because of the speed of my two Macs, which both stutter badly with EyeTV on certain channels (mostly 720p). Also, the notes for InstaTV Pro indicate that what you're doing (using AirPlay) isn't possible, which is why I've been reluctant to spend $10 on the app. InstaTV Lite works fine on both my Phone and iPad, but obviously it's low resolution.

Dennis

Dennis Whiteman
Check out HDTVOK.COM
Reply HTPC - Mac Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page