Hardware:
Macbook Air (2010)
3TB external hard drive
Mitsubishi HC4000 projector
Minidisplay port to hdmi cord

Software:
VLC player

Material:
10-77Gigabyte movies (bluray rips.....don't ask)

Problems:
Stuttery playback
Not full HD resolution
I AM A NEWB!!

Budget:
$200

Hey, guys! I only watch downloaded movie files and just now bought a 1080p projector. I have been watching giant bluray rips in hopes of watching them in hd glory only to find out that my computer will only display 1440 x 900 with the projector and not the 1920 x 1080 potential. In addition, the VLC player will sometime struggle with the large files. What are my best (budget is a concern) options? I am a total ****** with computers and gadgets. I just want to download and watch amazing quality movies on my new projector with the least amount of hassle. What should/can I do?

1. Buy a bluray player that can play MKV files and not use the bluray function --- if so, which one?
2. Format/learn how to use - my laptop to play 1080p -- if so, how?
3. Buy some kind of media player device to play the files --- if so, which one and how?
4. Buy my friend's PS3 in hopes of something better (people say it won't play VLC...)?

I'm lost and sad. Help me, please, oh geniuses of the A/V world! Tell me there's hope!!

Thankful in advance,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 12-07-2012, 02:27 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Are you "mirroring" to the external display? If so, don't, drive it independently doing what Apple calls "extended desktop." In fact, learn how to run it closed lid so you direct all your resources solely to the projector. A 2010 MBA shouldn't have any problem with 1080p as a desktop resolution on an external display or projector.

However, just so you know, the Core 2 Duos in that generation Air aren't super powerful, you may actually have some trouble with full-size bluray rips even if you use XBMC, a much better software player for the task, than VLC. The 2010 Minis with the same Nvidia GeForce 320M can handle it, they were 2.4/2.66 C2Ds though and had plenty of oomph, my MacBooks and Minis in that 1.8-2.2 C2D range could not reliably do full MakeMKV blu-ray rips perfectly with XBMC. It wasn't until the i5 that entry level consumer Macs could handle bluray perfectly, and could do so without any graphics assist.

So, so don't mirror, do extended desktop to get 1080p, test playing your bluray rips at 1080p to your projector with the lid closed, and then reassess. I'd use XBMC or Plex rather than VLC.

Just so you know, home theater and watching blurays with a computer is MORE of a hassle than using a bunch of standalone consumer electronic devices, not less. So if you're not prepared for some hassle, best not to get too deep.
Reply HTPC - Mac Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page