Mac Mini/Marantz NR1501 HT Receiver - No center channel - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 01-13-2013, 05:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I just setup a Mac Mini with a Marantz 1501 receiver in a small room. It's a 2.1 setup. I just added the .1. The Mac Mini says its sending Dolby Digital and I have the center channel enabled on the receiver. I know the speaker works and it's not a wiring problem as I've tested the speaker. The audio is going via HDMI so it's obviously transferring digitally. I just can't get the center channel to work.

I've tried different content from netflix to hbogo to a ripped bluray. Has anyone run into this? I'm not sure if there's a mac problem or if its my receiver. Any ideas appricated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-14-2013, 06:49 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Has anyone run into this? I'm not sure if there's a mac problem or if its my receiver.

You may not realize this, but a 2.1 setup is two speakers and a sub, the .1 is always the sub. If you want to add a center channel speaker to a typical L and R speaker pair that's what would be referred to as a 3.0 setup. And then it's up to you to configure your AVR to send audio data to it...on my HK AVRs there's a Dolby surround mode called "3 Stereo," which takes two channel audio and "fills" a center channel, and is at least decent for music. It's best not to involve the Mini at all in this. Perhaps head over to the AVR forum, find the thread on your model, and ask folks if there is any trick to setting up a 3.0 speaker system with an HDMI input. (Now, whether you have any luck directing true center channel content, say from a DD 5.1 movie, to your center channel, is another thing...)
post #3 of 4 Old 01-14-2013, 06:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Thanks. It's a 3.0 setup. I already enabled the center channel on the receiver. The audio is coming from the mini so its involved. I just don't know how to troubleshoot the problem.
post #4 of 4 Old 01-15-2013, 06:28 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
The audio is coming from the mini so its involved.

Sorry, of course it is involved, my point is don't try changing anything on the Mini side just yet, don't give in to the temptation to go into "Audio MIDI Setup" just yet and try to configure speakers in there. That's how many folks mess things up. You really have to know what you're doing in there, so don't make that newbie mistake, do not try to "configure speakers." There have been many years of threads about x Mac not working with y receiver. Almost all of them come down to the user not knowing how to configure his AVR properly.
Quote:
I already enabled the center channel on the receiver.

You may think you have, but there may be more to it than what you've done.

What I'd do is start testing with music from just one app, iTunes, though close it at this point. Then open Audio MIDI Setup in your Utilities folder in Applications, click on the HDMI output tab and set it to 2 channel 16 bit and 44.100 kHz. Then open iTunes and start playing some music. If your AVR and center speaker is properly enabled you should "hear" sound coming from that center speaker. Do you?
Reply HTPC - Mac Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page