Mac Pro 1,1 with nvidia 7300, good for EyeTV? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 01-17-2013, 02:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've been given a Mac Pro 1,1 with dual 2.0Ghz procs and an nvidia 7300GT graphics card. I'm curious if this graphics card can play back OTA HD as recorded by EyeTV. Anyone have experience with such a setup?

Linux based Apple file server made easy

ControlPlane - Make your mac context and location sensitive!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-18-2013, 05:37 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Anyone have experience with such a setup?

I've never owned a Mac Pro, but can tell you that satisfaction with EyeTV high def playback is largely CPU driven, i.e. the software is so poorly optimized that it usually comes down to having enough processor punch. So, your video card w/ 256 MB VRAM will not be a limiting factor and in terms of CPU, what you can do is look at bench scores for your model and see how it compares to other models:

http://www.everymac.com/mac-benchmarks/index-mac-benchmarks.html

a quick look says your 2006 Mac Pro will outperform all of the 2010 Minis and is equal to or better than almost all of the 2010 C2D MBPs. That suggests you will be fine with EyeTV. What you mainly need the CPU punch for is to deinterlace 1080i programming at EyeTV's best setting, called 'progressive scan,' rather than toggle down to its second best setting called 'motion adaptive.'

And if for some reason you're not happy with EyeTV playback, you can just play all your EyeTV recordings back with XBMC, as I do.
post #3 of 4 Old 01-18-2013, 06:14 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the response. I was able to mess with it some last night and indeed it worked great. Now I need to figure out how to get the EyeConnect that is included in EyeTV to work properly. I installed a demo of EyeConnect years ago and I'm not sure if that is messing with my current install or what but I can't see that anything is shared other than a music folder. Yet after installing a clean copy of Lion and a clean copy of EyeTV on the Pro I have no trouble sharing recorded shows via DLNA.

Linux based Apple file server made easy

ControlPlane - Make your mac context and location sensitive!

post #4 of 4 Old 01-27-2013, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 42
It really is sad that hardware accelerated MPEG2 decoding is not exposed by Apples public API's, but clearly they have a financial reason to never expose this functionality which sits unused in every video card they install in a machine. Its called iTunes. Why would they want you watching and recording content on your Mac when they can sell it to you and make a profit off it? In this case I much prefer the more open MS programming API compared to the limited Apple API.
Reply HTPC - Mac Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page