Apple TV - Future of DLNA Support - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 01-19-2013, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
shortcut3d's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 479
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 29
SiliconDust has opened the door for network streamers to view CableCARD TV content with their announcement at CES followed by the BETA firmware release this week. This is an opportunity for network streams to truly become a centralized media consumption hub. The Apple TV would be ideal if it supported DLNA, with HBO GO, Netflix and iTunes support already. The DVR concept becomes less important with large catalogs of on demand streaming content. Thoughts on Apple ever supporting the DLNA standard?
shortcut3d is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 Old 01-19-2013, 02:54 PM
AVS Special Member
 
lockdown571's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,623
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Haha, not in a millions years! AFAIK, Mac OSX never supported DLNA in any capacity. Moreover, Apple developed it's own proprietary streaming technology (AirPlay) instead of using DLNA. I'm not sure what Apple would get out of this considering they want an absolute stranglehold on media consumption via iTunes. The only chance may be if they ever open up a third party app store on the Apple TV. I believe there are some iPhone apps that support DLNA.

Update: Another possibility I just thought of was that you could view DLNA content on say an iPhone via a 3rd party app, and then send that to the Apple TV via airplay. Pretty convoluted though and I'm not sure if it's even possible.
lockdown571 is online now  
post #3 of 9 Old 01-19-2013, 06:09 PM
AVS Special Member
 
qz3fwd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 2,863
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Follow the money. Apple has a financial incentive to never support DLNA as iTunes is their cash cow and DLNA threatens their profits.
This is the very reason that all Apple products are crippled in regards to media codec / container support out of the box.
qz3fwd is offline  
post #4 of 9 Old 01-22-2013, 07:54 PM
Senior Member
 
Pvr4Craig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Near Toronto, Canada
Posts: 320
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I think SiliconDust has created a dancing bear; it is pretty amazing that they've been able to make this work, but like the bear, it is not a very good dancer!

No pause. No rewind. No fast-forward. Why go to the effort of buying an HDHomerun, connecting it to your network and then fail to use a PVR?? Most PVR's can serve DLNA and the network streamers we're talking about obviously support it. (Whether they'll work together is another big question and the ongoing disaster that is DLNA!)

In effect, we're using current technology to deliver the TV viewing experience of the 1950's through the 1980's! Apple will have no part of this.

Craig
Pvr4Craig is offline  
post #5 of 9 Old 01-22-2013, 09:12 PM
AVS Special Member
 
lockdown571's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,623
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvr4Craig View Post

I think SiliconDust has created a dancing bear; it is pretty amazing that they've been able to make this work, but like the bear, it is not a very good dancer!

No pause. No rewind. No fast-forward. Why go to the effort of buying an HDHomerun, connecting it to your network and then fail to use a PVR?? Most PVR's can serve DLNA and the network streamers we're talking about obviously support it. (Whether they'll work together is another big question and the ongoing disaster that is DLNA!)

In effect, we're using current technology to deliver the TV viewing experience of the 1950's through the 1980's! Apple will have no part of this.

Craig

What other PVR devices can serve channels over DLNA? Also, for the record, I am able to pause, fast-forward, and rewind in XBMC with the HDHomerun DLNA functionality.
lockdown571 is online now  
post #6 of 9 Old 01-23-2013, 05:08 PM
Senior Member
 
Pvr4Craig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Near Toronto, Canada
Posts: 320
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by lockdown571 View Post

What other PVR devices can serve channels over DLNA? Also, for the record, I am able to pause, fast-forward, and rewind in XBMC with the HDHomerun DLNA functionality.

With MythTV it is called "Live TV"...except it is actually a recording that you're watching in near real time. Pause, and rewind work. That said, I never use it. I've got Myth recording all kinds of stuff *in case* I decide to watch it. When Myth needs the space, it dumps the stuff I've watched and then deletes the oldest unwatched stuff.

On the SiliconDust forum, it seems like a huge number of people are wetting their pants over this development. It seems an utter waste to me to watch broadcast TV live that way when a little more time/money/effort offers far more features, choice, and convenience.

Craig
Disclaimer: I created the port of MythTV 0.25 in MacPorts. It is still too complicated for many users...but it is easier than it used to be!
Pvr4Craig is offline  
post #7 of 9 Old 01-23-2013, 09:43 PM
AVS Special Member
 
lockdown571's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,623
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvr4Craig View Post

With MythTV it is called "Live TV"...except it is actually a recording that you're watching in near real time. Pause, and rewind work. That said, I never use it. I've got Myth recording all kinds of stuff *in case* I decide to watch it. When Myth needs the space, it dumps the stuff I've watched and then deletes the oldest unwatched stuff.

On the SiliconDust forum, it seems like a huge number of people are wetting their pants over this development. It seems an utter waste to me to watch broadcast TV live that way when a little more time/money/effort offers far more features, choice, and convenience.

Craig
Disclaimer: I created the port of MythTV 0.25 in MacPorts. It is still too complicated for many users...but it is easier than it used to be!

There's a pretty significant different though, and that is the SiliconDust DLNA solution doesn't require a middle man. It goes directly from the HDHomerun Prime to every DLNA device in the house. MythTV requires a computer to be configured and running anytime you watch TV. I actually tried MythTV once, and setup was pretty complicated. Definitely not intended for the average end user. DLNA on the HDHomerun Prime doesn't have as many features but it'is trivial to use. I don't think you can really compare the two.
lockdown571 is online now  
post #8 of 9 Old 01-23-2013, 09:46 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Joseph S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 1,979
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have used the HDHomeruns for many years now and welcome any options they have for OTA/MCard/IP Based TV reception...

However they need a PVR solution for multiple streams. Otherwise we're stuck with EyeTV or WMC neither of which seem to have much support at this point.
Joseph S is offline  
post #9 of 9 Old 01-24-2013, 08:53 AM
Senior Member
 
Pvr4Craig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Near Toronto, Canada
Posts: 320
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by lockdown571 View Post

There's a pretty significant different though, and that is the SiliconDust DLNA solution doesn't require a middle man. It goes directly from the HDHomerun Prime to every DLNA device in the house. MythTV requires a computer to be configured and running anytime you watch TV. I actually tried MythTV once, and setup was pretty complicated. Definitely not intended for the average end user. DLNA on the HDHomerun Prime doesn't have as many features but it'is trivial to use. I don't think you can really compare the two.

I donno...if you already have the HDHomerun AND a DLNA device AND a display device, why not go the final step and set up a HTPC? In fact, up until this, a DLNA device wasn't much use _without_ a HTPC. (Yes, I know DLNA is built into some TV's, game systems, DVD and Blue-ray players.) How many DLNA devices are connected to something _other_ than a television (and not a computer)?

OTOH, I'm always surprised at the number of people that use Myth to watch live TV. There are these devices called "televisions" that do exactly that and are pretty inexpensive...

Craig
Pvr4Craig is offline  
Reply HTPC - Mac Chat

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off