Silicon Dust Cablecard Solution Soon? - AVS Forum
HTPC - Mac Chat > Silicon Dust Cablecard Solution Soon?
richdmoore's Avatar richdmoore 05:09 PM 05-12-2013
Hello, I have been lurking for a while, and finally figured I needed to make an account.

I recently switched from OTA to cable, mostly to view indycar & F1 races. I was using an eyetv setup with a silicon dust home run tuner to get OTA signals. When I switched to a cablebox, I had to go to an eyetv HD box (using USB).

Since switching, I have had lots of dropout issues with this setup, I think I finally isolated it to having too many usb devices attached, it was choking the eyetv HD box's bandwidth. (I am still in final testing, but it looks like since I disconnected almost all my usb devices it is now working.)

Anyway, a real solution for me would be to get a cablecard tuner (using Ethernet) like the silicon dust home run prime, but as I am sure everyone who has researched this has figured out, there is no Mac software that works with cablecard devices.

During my research today, I discovered that silicon dust is making a cablecard solution tuner with dlna, it would allow any copy freely channel to stream to any supported device/computer in x264 format. Am I correct in thinking this would allow xbmc, eyetv, or someone else to simply take this feed and use it for their dvr software?

http://www.engadget.com/2013/01/08/silicondust-announces-two-new-hdhomerun-network-tuners-with-tr/

I guess theoretically, it would even allow an ipad to act as a dvr, if someone writes an app for that?

Anyone know any more? I was thinking I would have to eventually built a windows based htpc to use with a cablecard setup, but if I can just buy a $200 box and Mac software that would be so much better.

olyteddy's Avatar olyteddy 07:08 PM 05-12-2013
Quote:
During my research today, I discovered that silicon dust is making a cablecard solution tuner with dlna, it would allow any copy freely channel to stream to any supported device/computer in x264 format. Am I correct in thinking this would allow xbmc, eyetv, or someone else to simply take this feed and use it for their dvr software?
I don't know Mac software, but the current HDHR Prime works with a bunch of different apps in Windows for 'Copy Freely' content, including VLC. The only reason I can see for it not working with a Mac is Apple's almost paranoiac desire to keep their stuff a closed system. Here's a forum about CC and the Mac: http://www.silicondust.com/forum2/viewforum.php?f=58
richdmoore's Avatar richdmoore 07:30 PM 05-12-2013
Interesting. While vlc is not a full fledged dvr software, it does show that it is possible using the same hooks as vlc does.

My understanding is xblc just started supporting live tv using hooks to other backend software (not sure about scheduling or other dvr functions) but will hopefully mature into a full fledged dvr solution. Elgato being part of the dnla group may be a good sign they may extend eyetv software to the new tuners (or release their own version of the equipment.). Of course, Elgato doesn't support the current prime tuners, so who knows for sure.
Dark_Slayer's Avatar Dark_Slayer 01:08 PM 05-13-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by richdmoore View Post

"Stream"

This is supported, but it remains to be seen whether it can function as a DVR. I've used the DLNA support in the prime to watch some Cable TV on the PS3. While it works, it is not to be considered a DVR. I get a list of channels, and I can play any of them (stream). I cannot see guide information, set recordings, or pause/rewind/etc.

The guide data could be worked around "easily." In fact, there are probably already solutions for that in VLC, and there are people who've mapped every available stream into a VLC channel to make a "guide" that was a little more customizable. I don't think the "record" "pause/rewind" portion will be so easy, and I don't know that it will ever be supported
Quote:

Anyone know any more? I was thinking I would have to eventually built a windows based htpc to use with a cablecard setup, but if I can just buy a $200 box and Mac software that would be so much better.

Well, the hooks that XBMC uses can alleviate the need for Windows, but you'd need a linux box instead. The model XBMC has working is the best (in my opinion), since you can add the TV server software to your server (Windows or Myth-TV-Linux supported) then all your XBMC machines can tap into it (including jailbroken ATV) - not sure if jailbroken ipads support XBMC. I've got a similar setup with NPVR running on my W8 server, and it lets my Nexus 7 watch tv just fine. I haven't tried recording scheduling, but I assume that works. With the server being the only box managing the recording, all your recordings should be in one place rather than scattered amongst a bunch of Win PCs or half-baked apps that support recording. I like that model, may not be worth the effort for everyone
Tong Chia's Avatar Tong Chia 10:35 PM 05-14-2013
Quote:

http://www.engadget.com/2013/01/08/silicondust-announces-two-new-hdhomerun-network-tuners-with-tr/

I guess theoretically, it would even allow an ipad to act as a dvr, if someone writes an app for that?

HDHomerun Prime + XBMC 12.0 + MythTV backend works very well on the Mac if the stream is not protected aka "Copy Freely". I use it with MacOSX 10.8.3. This is my backup setup in-case WMC falls over.

The Newer versions of XBMC (12.1 and 12.2) do not work with the HDHomerun's DLNA DMS implementation

Installing MythTV (both frontend and backend)
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/MythTV_on_Mac_OS_X

HDHomerun Setup on MythTV
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Hdhomerun
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Silicondust_HDHomeRun_Prime
Up
Mobile  Desktop