Newbie Set-up Questions 2: EyeTV & Plex / XBMC? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 08-29-2013, 10:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
It's coming together: I got the HD HomeRun and the i7 Mac mini "DIY Fusion" deal Newegg was running. Reception remains a bit of an issue, but I think it's getting there.

Executive summary: Plex or XMBC, and do either invoke EyeTV directly, and or can they be made to?

Longer: in my old London set-up, I used Front Row. Add me to the list of people for whom that and PyeTV was perfect. But, it's gone, and the workaround extracting the Snow Leopard files is broken on Mavericks. Oh well.

For most of my use, EyeTV, and its interface, are fine. I export from time to time, and have a Turbo.264 HD, so I can take shows with me on the MacBook and iPad, so iTunes is fine. Once watched, I delete them. I don't have a huge media library, and don't plan to start. To the extent I watch movies, it has been iTunes to date. I have an Apple TV if I want to play with Netflix at some point but it's not a problem or issue for the Mac mini set-up. I also used to like the music streaming and photos, though I guess Apple TV can handle that, too. While I do know what MKVs are (!), I have been happy converting those to MP4 in Handbrake or Turbo, again I don't need to plan for a database so front ends that play that stuff natively are nice, but to date I've not felt that the UI complexity compensated for those few extra steps.

But I'd like to control it through my Harmony remote or even the Apple remote, and I'd love it if users could share their experiences.

I have looked at Plex and XBMC. I marginally prefer the visuals of the former, but it does not like EyeTV and sticks. It is possible this is a Mavericks issue; I had to try the monthly build of XMBC as the regular release also crashed and that definitely is a Mavericks issue. But when I load the plug-in for EyeTV, unless I'm mistaken, it is streaming: certainly the picture was jerky and pixelated, and not from bad reception. Am I missing something? I worry I am not when my Google searches show up a lot of talk of Automater scripts. Again, I may be wrong but I was wondering who would go to the trouble of getting uncompressed 1080i and do that to it?

Of course I'll play with it but it would be good to get the "right" answer on what the vanilla Front Row replacement is so as to direct the playing somewhat time-efficiently...

One other question: for those times when only a mouse will do, I used to use Teleport as a KVM. It also breaks in Mavericks (on a new install; old setups imported in seem OK), and even when it was working it had a problem in that it placed the mouse right at the close window point for iTunes full screen content so I was and am using Screen Sharing instead, which is much klunkier. It looks like the developer is no longer updating it, and good for him: I hope he used it as a good calling card for a job as it was a nice piece of software. Synergy used to be a pain: has it improved?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-30-2013, 04:22 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I am not sure exactly what you want to access in EyeTV. I use XBMC to view all my EyeTV recordings but I don't use EyeTV and XBMC to watch live TV, the tuner on the TV itself works just fine for that. Both Plex and XBMC like to have specific file name formats to properly scrape the metadata. I wrote a RecordingDone script that creates Symlinks tot he EyeTV recordings with the proper file names. I can post that script if you want. The downside of this is when you delete the EyeTV recording you need to go to the XBMC/Plex data folder and manually delete the symlink so it can be removed from the program. I have not tried any EyeTV plugin and I am running 10.6. I have my computer connected directly to the TV so I just use one of the free remotes on my iPad.
post #3 of 6 Old 08-30-2013, 06:01 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 16
Quote:
I used Front Row. Add me to the list of people for whom that and PyeTV was perfect.

That takes me back, I once relied on PyeTV as well.
Quote:
Plex or XMBC, and do either invoke EyeTV directly, and or can they be made to?

I, too wonder what the current state is...I'm not up on what Plex can now do with EyeTV; historically their developers seemed to loathe both 1) EyeTV and 2) all their users who constantly asked for EyeTV support in the forum discussion boards since only Luddites would actually care about recording things legally. Even though I'm a pretty big fan of XBMC, frankly I'm not up on what can be done in the latest and greatest XBMC with respect to EyeTV...that's because once I get a stable system...audio, video, remotes, AVR, displays, etc...I'm not in any hurry to update anything. Once I get acceptable performance I value stability most in the HTPC. So my 2011 Minis though on Mountain Lion are very happy running slightly older stable versions of XBMC and on those the simple EyeTV Parser add-on works just great for my needs...once PyeTV stopped working and El Gato basically stopping trying that's how I've played all my EyeTV recordings back and like you, after we watch typical network stuff once we usually just delete it. My EyeTV recordings, since EyeTV only records those basic networks, is a very small percentage of our much, much larger media library.
Quote:
I'd like to control it through my Harmony remote or even the Apple remote, and I'd love it if users could share their experiences.

it's just one button press on the Apple remote to invoke XBMC and then the EyeTV archive is accessible just like any other media volume. I don't watch anything "live" with EyeTV, just recordings, like Phillie14586.

No experience with Mavericks yet.

The iOS app I use most these days for keyboard, mouse and screen sharing is Screens, very nice on the iPad.
post #4 of 6 Old 08-30-2013, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillie14586 View Post

I am not sure exactly what you want to access in EyeTV. I use XBMC to view all my EyeTV recordings but I don't use EyeTV and XBMC to watch live TV, the tuner on the TV itself works just fine for that. Both Plex and XBMC like to have specific file name formats to properly scrape the metadata. I wrote a RecordingDone script that creates Symlinks tot he EyeTV recordings with the proper file names. I can post that script if you want. The downside of this is when you delete the EyeTV recording you need to go to the XBMC/Plex data folder and manually delete the symlink so it can be removed from the program. I have not tried any EyeTV plugin and I am running 10.6. I have my computer connected directly to the TV so I just use one of the free remotes on my iPad.

Maybe I need to get my head round a different way of doing it, but I use EyeTV as a TiVo-like front-end: live, watching recordings, and scheduling recordings. I definitely need EyeTV to handle live as well to the extent I watch live at all (the news, for one): I am dealing with an indoors antenna and optimal placement is in a different room from the main TV. With HD HomeRun that doesn't matter.

It would be nice to be able to get between that and a remote control-friendly media library for any other content. And good stuff in XBMC I know I would be missing is stuff like Hulu (plain not Plus).
post #5 of 6 Old 08-30-2013, 11:25 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefklc View Post

it's just one button press on the Apple remote to invoke XBMC and then the EyeTV archive is accessible just like any other media volume. I don't watch anything "live" with EyeTV, just recordings, like Phillie14586.

No experience with Mavericks yet.

The iOS app I use most these days for keyboard, mouse and screen sharing is Screens, very nice on the iPad.

OK, thanks - and also for the Screens recommendation - but could you clarify one point for me: what is the expected behavior of the EyeTV plugin? That is, when you go to live, what specifically are you supposed to see - the actual stream from the HD HomeRun, or the stream as piped out by EyeTV (I'm guessing the one you see when you use the EyeTV iOS app)? For recorded shows, I get that it is a relatively simple matter of playing the files themselves.

I am concluding though that Apple TV is likely to be the way I see my media library and that's not so terrible, but somehow it just doesn't seem like this is a step forward compared with 2008.
post #6 of 6 Old 09-03-2013, 10:16 AM

I am like Chefklc in that once I get something working I just stay with it. I did try to upgrade XBMC to the latest and things started to break and I only just barely touch the surface of what XBMC can do. that said I think when I was starting to put my system together they were just working on the EyeTV plugin. I remember it didn't give me anything better than what my database was giving me so I never switched to it. This weekend I did fix the maintenance issue I had of having to delete the alias and the actual file separately. I now have an applescript and folder action to take care of everything.

I also hate having to wait around for everything to be transcoded to work in the EyeTV iPad app or iTunes. I use AirPlayIt which plays the native EyeTV recordings on my iPad2. It is not perfect, doesn't like rewinding or restarting after being paused and the ipad goes to sleep, but it is free.

Sorry I can't help you with the live TV through XBMC, never tried to do it.
Reply HTPC - Mac Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page