Mac Mini with Pioneer SC-1522 and Epson 5020UB: No option for audio through HDMI - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 09-15-2013, 06:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hello

Here is what I have:

* Pioneer SC-1522 AVR with AirPlay
* Mac Mini(newest model)
* Epson 5020UB projector for video

Using the HDMI cable I connect the Mac Mini to the Pioneer SC-1522. This produces a great picture, but the audio only plays through the Mac Mini speakers.

I have messed with the System Preferences and the Audio Midi setup app. The only option given is SC-1522 AIRPLAY...So the Mac Mini senses the Pioneer has AirPlay and does not apparently allow me to say play audio through HDMI

All I want is to be able to hook the Mini into the AVR and be able to enjoy the video of the projector and the audio from the Pioneer.

ANy one have any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-15-2013, 07:44 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
I have messed with the System Preferences and the Audio Midi setup app. The only option given is SC-1522 AIRPLAY...So the Mac Mini senses the Pioneer has AirPlay and does not apparently allow me to say play audio through HDMI

Define "messed." You should have no trouble telling the Mac to output audio over HDMI. Some screenshots, some clues as to what you're selecting, checking, etc. would help.
Quote:
All I want is to be able to hook the Mini into the AVR and be able to enjoy the video of the projector and the audio from the Pioneer.

Shouldn't be a problem, most of us output over HDMI. Besides having to configure your AVR input properly, another factor you haven't mentioned is which software player you're using to "play" your media...each player can have its own menu and settings idiosyncracies. Every step in the chain has to be configured properly, from core OS functionality to system settings a la AudioMIDI to a media player to an AVR.
post #3 of 7 Old 09-15-2013, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter

With the system preferences and the a audio midi app there is no HDMI. Option. The one thing it shows us the name of the receiver and AIR PLAY as the output option.

I am not using any applications just connecting as a giant monitor
post #4 of 7 Old 09-15-2013, 01:14 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
I am not using any applications just connecting as a giant monitor

In order for your Mac to play any audio or video to the AVR you have to use an application. Music and video don't play themselves, applications do. In your first post, what audio were you trying to play or are you just talking about system audio sounds, beeps, dings, etc? Also, you're getting a great picture--do you mean your desktop? Have you tried playing music with iTunes or a video with an app like XBMC, Plex, VLC yet?

Click on the display icon in your menu bar...in the drop down is it your projector or AVR model being detected there?
Quote:
With the system preferences and the audio midi app there is no HDMI. Option. The one thing it shows us the name of the receiver and AIR PLAY as the output option.

System Preferences > Sound > Output, and the only thing there is your AVR model and under "type" it says "Airplay?" That's interesting, when you are connected to something over HDMI, an AVR, a display, whatever, should also be listed here and under "type" it should simply say "HDMI"..as well as include any other audio output, like if you were using a USB DAC or running optical audio out to an AVR in addition to HDMI.

Do you have a different HDMI cable you can swap in and try?

You also haven't said what you "messed with" in the AudioMIDI utility. When you open AudioMIDI and look under Audio devices what do you see in the left hand column...is HDMI listed? to the right of HDMI, under the Output tab what does it say for "source?" It should have the name and model # of your AVR or display here. I don't have an Airplay capable AVR so I can't tell you if that should show up here as well, i.e. if you should see HDMI and Airplay as separate items, but I suspect that's how it would work. Anyway, describe what you're seeing here in MIDI and we'll take it from there...

If it does say HDMI in the left hand column, select it and then click on the little gear icon below it...look for "use this device for sound output" and select it.
post #5 of 7 Old 09-15-2013, 01:23 PM - Thread Starter

I am hooking up the Mac Mini to the AVR with an HDMI cable. Under system preferences and under the audio midi app there is no option to play sound through HDMI...The only thing it shows is under the "Name" column is SC-1522(the AVR) and under the "type" column it shows AIRPLAY...

I have tried 3 different HDMI cables with no success

Any audio I try (stream video from web, itunes TV show, etc) will play the video, but sound only plays through the internal speakers.

Is there a way to have the headphone jack send a signal out to be used with a optical in slot on the AVR?

I am thinking this is more an issue with the Pioneer AVR with Airplay than anything
post #6 of 7 Old 09-15-2013, 02:06 PM
AVS Club Gold

I asked you what it said in the display drop down from the menu bar, you didn't answer. Does it say your projector model or the AVR model here?

I also asked you what options were listed in AudioMIDI, you didn't answer that one either.
Quote:
Under system preferences and under the audio midi app there is no option to play sound through HDMI...The only thing it shows is under the "Name" column is SC-1522(the AVR) and under the "type" column it shows AIRPLAY

"name" and "type" are for System Preferences, what does it say in AudioMIDI in the left hand column? If HDMI is not showing up here, what is?
Quote:
Is there a way to have the headphone jack send a signal out to be used with a optical in slot on the AVR?

Yes, the headphone jack in the Mini is a combo analog/optical out...just pick up an optical minijack tip and use a regular optical cable and you are good to go. This should show up as "Name-Digital Out" and "Type-optical digital out port" in System preferences and as "built-in output" and "digital out" in MIDI.
Quote:
I am thinking this is more an issue with the Pioneer AVR with Airplay than anything

well, it wouldn't hurt if you could run HDMI into a different AVR or find some Mac owners with the same AVR to confirm for you how it should work...sorry I can't help you there...have you looked in the thread on your AVR here at AVS?
post #7 of 7 Old 09-15-2013, 04:40 PM - Thread Starter

It shows only the AVR model and not the projector

HDMI does not show up in AudioMIDI: Built In Inpit, Built In Output, AirPlay and Multi Output Device. When I do the pull down menu under Multi Device it does not show HDMI

I tried my MacBook with the HDMI and I got the same issue.

I went to Best Buy and purchased a HDMI swithcer. I was thinking that perhaps that might offer a solution. Unfortunatly the switcher is not working at all.

I have ran a 2nd HDMI cable to the projector and sending the audio through the headphone port to the optical connection on the back of the AVR. SUCCESS!!!!

Will the optical audio provide 5.1 audio or just stereo?

Also if I were to switch to a Windows PC would I need a robust one? My main thing with the pc is streaming sporting events (NHL,MLB,NFL) and Hulu Plus shows which only work through the web. Not much processing as far as software or gaming would be concerned

Thanks for all your assistance and I may still try to trouble shoot this
Reply HTPC - Mac Chat

Tags
Pioneer Sc 1522k 9 2 Channel Av Receiver , Epson 5020ub Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page