EyeTV dead in NYC? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 03-13-2014, 09:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I just noticed that my soon to be "improved" by the Comcast merger TWC has encrypted all the Clear QAM channels.

This is something that TWC charges me $22.75 a month for (plus tax and tip) "Starter TV" on my bill -- it was called something like "basic digital HDTV" when I signed up for it -- I have no cable box, and back when it was installed, the TWC installer simply connected the cable directly to my HDTV and did a channel scan. How can they simply turn off my service, without notice or warning and keep right on charging me for it???

This is pretty much it, right? I have a choice of getting a TiVO with cable cards and paying TWC who knows how much more for the pleasure or??? Is this even legal?

Edit:
Answering some of my own questions -- TWC has a FAQ on their website saying that they are doing it -- and note how they offer absolutely no course of action to their paying customers. Unbelievable.
TWC's FAQ
FCC explanation - I am entitled to 2 cable cards free for 2 years

Other choice - tell TWC to pound sand and buy one of these and hope it works: Wirecutter recommended best "Urban" Antenna???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 03-24-2014, 04:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
If anyone cares: here is an update. Since after posting on various forums I couldn't get a straight answer on whether TWC flags the formerly "clear QAM" channels as "copy freely", in NYC, so at least I'd be able to offload all my shows from a TiVo for editing, I ended up getting the above linked to HQ Frequency Wirecutter antenna, placing it outside, on the wall between the our apartment and south facing, no Empire State Building line of sight deck, and plugged it into the exact same powered splitter that the TWC cable was plugged into.

It works. Quite well, actually. I get considerably more channels than I used to with TWC Clear QAM. And, the picture quality is better: the dirty secret is of course that cable companies compress the life out of everything and OTA channels, even with all the piggy backing sub-channels are quite good by comparison.

Only caveats: the amplified splitter actually greatly improved reception VS. a direct antenna to tuner connection. This was a surprise, because the Amazon listing and user reviews gave no indication that my splitter would even work with OTA -- it was clearly just meant for cable. And the EyeTV 500 actually has a lousy OTA receiver. I ended up swapping it with an EyeTV Hybrid USB stick that was sitting in my drawer. That along with my original version HD HomeRun are my receivers.

So I'd say anyone out there in my boat: try OTA, even if it didn't work for you in the past. Apparently antenna tech has improved considerable over the last few years.
Reply HTPC - Mac Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page