1Likes
  • 1 Post By oOOBillO0o

post #1 of 9 Old 07-02-2014, 09:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Music server file management on Mac -- what do you use?

There are lots of decent DLNA servers on the Mac. What I am having a heck of a time finding, though, is a way to mange my music FLAC files well -- edit FLAC tags, find missing art, manage directory structures based on tags, look up missing meta data.

What do you use? Why?

Build Thread: "Nathan's Theater in Search of....".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 07-03-2014, 06:12 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I have a house full of Macs, iOS devices and run OS X, for me the best way to manage music is to completely avoid both DLNA and FLAC. (Just like SMB isn't the easiest choice for Mac users, either.) Historically very few Mac users here have reported decent, let alone seamless, DLNA experiences…so do share which DLNA servers on the Mac that have worked out well for you because there may be others here trying to mix and match non-Apple devices and platforms.

As far as managing FLAC files, as soon as I buy and download any the first thing I do is convert them to ALAC, so I'm afraid I can't be much help to you on that front. In our house we rely on iTunes and alternatively BitPerfect for those rare occasions when I want automatic sample rate switching or something else special that isn't built into iTunes. The good news for you is that there are a bunch of alternative OS X apps which support FLAC natively and that run the gamut of price ranges, features and bugginess. Look into Fidelia, Decibel, Audirvana Plus and Pure Music. Whether any of them offer an audible improvement is another issue, but you may find something that'll work for you, that has a user interface that you like and that will interoperate with the other stuff on your network. I'll be curious what you end up deciding...
post #3 of 9 Old 07-03-2014, 09:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefklc View Post
I have a house full of Macs, iOS devices and run OS X, for me the best way to manage music is to completely avoid both DLNA and FLAC. (Just like SMB isn't the easiest choice for Mac users, either.) Historically very few Mac users here have reported decent, let alone seamless, DLNA experiences…so do share which DLNA servers on the Mac that have worked out well for you because there may be others here trying to mix and match non-Apple devices and platforms.

As far as managing FLAC files, as soon as I buy and download any the first thing I do is convert them to ALAC, so I'm afraid I can't be much help to you on that front. In our house we rely on iTunes and alternatively BitPerfect for those rare occasions when I want automatic sample rate switching or something else special that isn't built into iTunes. The good news for you is that there are a bunch of alternative OS X apps which support FLAC natively and that run the gamut of price ranges, features and bugginess. Look into Fidelia, Decibel, Audirvana Plus and Pure Music. Whether any of them offer an audible improvement is another issue, but you may find something that'll work for you, that has a user interface that you like and that will interoperate with the other stuff on your network. I'll be curious what you end up deciding...
Thanks for the perspective.

These days MOST of what I use is SONOS but sometimes, especially in my main listening setup, I use an OPPO renderer. Twonky seems to work pretty reliably. But I'll actually be putting a SONOS CONNET client into that setup in the near future -- because it's even more bulletproof and the UI is much better.

The other nice thing about SONOS: A simple network share, no computer or even server needed, gets the job done.

When I listen to FLAC at my Mac, I use Decibel. I like how it loads THE WHOLE song into memory, hogs the USB audio DAC 100%, etc.

But I have yet to find a library management app -- something that let's me edit tags, find meta data, manage file structure of the library, etc. Heck, it doesn't even need to PLAY music, just read/write tags and file structure.

post #4 of 9 Old 07-03-2014, 01:08 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Have you played around with JRiver at all? A lot of people are fond of its library management capabilities…also look into an app called Metadatics:

http://markvapps.com/metadatics/
post #5 of 9 Old 07-03-2014, 02:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefklc View Post
Have you played around with JRiver at all? A lot of people are fond of its library management capabilities…also look into an app called Metadatics:

http://markvapps.com/metadatics/
Thanks for the suggestions. Forgot about jriver and that is a great idea. I think maybe it was pc only the last time I looked (a few years ago)? and Ive bever heard of metadics but that looks like it may be perfect. Focused on what I need.

post #6 of 9 Old 07-11-2014, 09:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 20
JRiver or Musicbrainz "Picard", but you're best served by converting FLAC to ALAC and using iTunes and TuneUp, Tagalicious, or Musicbrainz "Picard" to edit & organize. Sonos is great, I use it all the time. I have yet to incorporate tags.

McIntosh Labs! What am I listening to?
post #7 of 9 Old 07-11-2014, 09:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yet to incorporate tags? How does Sonos know what you want to play

---

Started to use Picard a bit. I like it for the song ID feature. I guess there isn't one tool to rule them all, at this point. Metadatics is very nice, and once I learn REGEX a bit, the possibilities are endless, since it allows extensibility that way. Of course, I haven't needed it yet.

Would be nice if it saved ones data from session to session, which it does not. I have corresponded with the developer, who says he will consider it for a future release.

post #8 of 9 Old 07-12-2014, 09:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Sorry if I am confusing. The ID3 or Metadata tags are already there and I use them in Sonos, I was referring to the Mood or Theme tags that are search-able

Sonos knows what to play, simply because I make the playlist.
nathan_h likes this.

McIntosh Labs! What am I listening to?
post #9 of 9 Old 09-07-2014, 10:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Still using Metadatics. Not perfect, but very good. Wish it had the Picard functionality accessible from within the app. Annoying to leave the app, use Picard, and have to restart metadatics again (completely losing my collection and having to reload thousands of tracks, which takes forever). But there are relatively few pieces of music where I need to use Picard, and anyway, it's often faster just to listen to the songs and manually figure them out.

I *do* wish there was a similar "edit metadata" tool on the iPad. That's what I have close at hand, more often than a computer, and would love to be able to kick back and clear things up while in my easy chair.

Reply HTPC - Mac Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page